Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Some of you may remember be from just getting started out. Well, on July 8th, driving home from work, I had a stroke. I meant to make a long meaningful post, but still can't type well with my right hand, so I'll keep this brief.

A series of two smaller and one large stroke in several weeks time, misdiagnosed as visual migraines, are behind it. I have a genetic thing no one knew about, a generally minor disorder. I SHOULD never have another stroke now (fingers crossed) but the three I had were scary enough.

I am missing my second month of work now and have canceled internet at home because money is tight. Any questions please ask and I'll answer as I have time and can get to the library.

Hug your kids and remember, you're never too young and tomorrow's not promised.

Battler44
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I'm sorry to hear about the strokes, but it's good that the problem has been diagnosed and is preventable. Rest up and feel better soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, at least you and the doctors know about it now, best wishes mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Enjoy Life !
badge
Just do it!
Wow.
Family-wise I could easily experience a stroke too, or a heart attack.
Was also diagnosed with visual migraine once ......

All the best to you!
Maybe you would like an avatar?
If not, spend the GG as you wish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about your health worries.
We all need a timely reminder sometimes. Thanks.

Life is short. Play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to my dad when he was too young also (I am now the age he was when he had the stroke). His was a congenital heart valve defect that was never detected, until a piece of calcium that had built up behind the non-functioning valve broke off and caused a stroke at age 48. (My definition of young keeps changing as I get older.) All my best wishes for a quick recovery and return to work! I remember that it did take my dad some time to feel more back to normal. I don't think I knew what a hard worker my dad was till I saw his reaction to the rehab...he did everything and asked for more!

Thanks for a good reminder to show love and appreciation to those around us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damned. Look after yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 37 myself. You're scaring me here. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm 53, the same age my dad died when I was 19. I don't worry too much, but it's in the back of my mind, especially since my kids are 14 and 15. Best of wishes on your recovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Keep battling dude. A friend of mine went through this at about the same age and he's fought his way back to his job and most of his life's interests. It takes time, but the brain is a remarkable organ.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish you all the best!

battler44 wrote:
I SHOULD never have another stroke now (fingers crossed) but the three I had were scary enough.

I can imagine! Keep the positive attitude, and get well soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was 39 when diagnosed Chron's Disease. It's scary, particularly when you think at 39 (37 in your case) you are still young and healthy!

In retrospective, it's a blessing... it's a red flag which makes you stop and think about what's important in your life.

All the best, and keep your spirit high!

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Saludos desde Chile, Nicolás
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Steven Wright
badge
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang in here: life isn't over. Best wishes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
battler44 wrote:
Hi,

Some of you may remember be from just getting started out. Well, on July 8th, driving home from work, I had a stroke. I meant to make a long meaningful post, but still can't type well with my right hand, so I'll keep this brief.

A series of two smaller and one large stroke in several weeks time, misdiagnosed as visual migraines, are behind it. I have a genetic thing no one knew about, a generally minor disorder. I SHOULD never have another stroke now (fingers crossed) but the three I had were scary enough.

I am missing my second month of work now and have canceled internet at home because money is tight. Any questions please ask and I'll answer as I have time and can get to the library.

Hug your kids and remember, you're never too young and tomorrow's not promised.

Battler44

Good luck with your recovery. I hope you have friends and family to help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael vas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll keep you in my prayers if that's ok with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sorry to hear this man. Things like this are a reminder to cherish every moment we have. The sunny days and the rainy days like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope everything keeps going better. You are absolutely right: treasure these moments as much as you can. The best advice to follow.

Looking at your collection, I hope you're up soon and playing some rousing games of Space Hulk, and spending time with the family. Best of all, maybe doing both!!!

Good message, good reminder. Stay good man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Elliott
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I turn 39 in November, so your story is scary. I have a wonderful wife, which we will have been married 13 years in December. We have two wonderful little ones, 7 and 5. I will take this to heart, and add you in our prayers. Take care Battler44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a friend who had a stroke in his 30s and he was in good health otherwise. The good news is that he made a full recovery and lives his life on his terms. I wish the same for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Maksimik
United States
Liberty
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At 37 I had quadruple bypass heart surgery when my second kid was just 3 weeks old. Went in and out of the hospital for various other things for a few years and started to be not much fun to be around. I credit much of my recover and passion for life from my family and also an increased interest in all types of gaming. Games really helped me keep my mind occupied. I now literally have a couple "walls" of games.
I'm now 50 and doing well, working at the same job, playing games at least once a week, and now starting in on playing guitar in a rock band. I've played guitar for almost 40 years and now at 50 after all the messed up medical problems I'm doing one of my life's passions.
Life always bounces back.
Hopefully my story helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kaitlin kaschak
msg tools
get well soon my friend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang in there, man. Stay positive and keep on top of the physio and stuff you need to do to get back to normal.

My guitarist had a stroke when he was 31. He's perfectly okay now but it was scary times for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck to you! Try filling your time with some boardgaming and relaxing, as well as staying positive to make a full recovery!kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, bud, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys. I cant say enoigh how i appreciate prayers etc and the geekgold
. I have a 3 yo and a 6 yo and two stepkids. Writing from my phone so forgive any misspellings. Thanks again, more later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.