BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: First games for a 2-year-old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victoria Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son turns 2 in September and I've already bought him My First Orchard for his birthday. I'm fully prepared for this not to be grasped by the rules straight away, but I'd also like to get him another boardgame for Christmas. Partly this is because my husband would probably see me buying him games mid-year as frivolous, so basically if I want to get him any more games to last him until the age of 3, I'd better get it then.

What we've got so far is:

- My First Orchard
- Snail's Pace Race (picked up in a charity shop; doubt he'll pick this up for a while yet)
- A few lotto games, which he mostly understands, except for the turn-taking and 'my board/your board' aspects - we just play together with a communal set of boards in the middle.
- Snap cards. Again, just a charity shop purchase, doubt he'll be ready for a long while.

I can probably pick up a copy of a decent Memo type game in a charity shop sometime, so other than that - any recommendations for his second 'first game'? I'm looking for something that will come into play any time between 2y3months and 3 years, I guess! I've heard about things like Go Away Monster, but that seems well out of print now, and most of the other good looking Haba/kids games seem for more 3+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmb
Richard Scarry's Busytown: Eye found it! Game
Hoot Owl Hoot!
Gulo Gulo if you can find it or else Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo

Gulo gulo is by far my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ginsbu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
We picked up Snug as a Bug in a Rug for my younger daughter when she was about 2y3m. It is a nice early game because it has three levels of difficulty. The simplest level just involves recognizing shapes, number, or color (roll a die to choose one of those categories at the beginning of the game, then use the spinner to find matching bugs on each turn); the second level uses the die on each turn followed by the spinner, so children get used to executing turns consisting of multiple steps and to switching between identifying shapes, number, or colors; the third level eliminates the die and requires finding bugs that match any two out of the three characteristics indicated on the spinner. Different players can play together at the various difficulty levels, e.g. a two year old can play at level one while a five year old plays at level three.

Richard Scarry's Busytown: Eye found it! Game is also an excellent suggestion. She also loved Zingo! at that age. I think she started playing Hoot Owl Hoot! when she was closer to three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think go away monster was just reprinted but I wouldn't recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JeuJeu Jojo
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mb
HABA presently produce a line of games recommended for 1½ or 2 years and above, of which First Orchard is one, viewable on BoardGameGeek and at the publisher's website. The guiding principles behind this line seem to be that all the components are big enough that children can't fit them in their mouths, and that they're also nice enough to double as toys for make-believe play or games of one's own invention (which is how the instructions recommend introducing them, though if the child in question is already playing memory and lotto-type games they may not need this).

I'd recommend downloading and reading the instructions from HABA's website before plumping for any one of the games (you can do this even for those which are out of print, by searching for the title or product code number in the search box and then clicking on the "Manuals" tab) as the nature of them can vary quite a bit. Some are purely cooperative, some are competitive and some have a choice of playing either way, while many are completely random but a few have real decisions to make.

One which seems to me both one of the most accessible and most interesting (though I can only go on having read the instructions and no practical experience of it as of yet) is Mail for You!: this is one with actual gameplay (consisting of variations on a Where's Wally?-type exercise of spotting objects in rooms) yet is cooperative and the players will always win, as they're allowed as many attempts as they need to get their answers correct.

Outside of HABA, beleduc (website) and Selecta (website) have been known to publish some of the other best games around for 2 or 3 years and above (regularly making it onto the Kinderspiel des Jahres recommended list in the past). beleduc's are choking hazard-free even for the 3+ titles and, in my experience, the game designs equal or surpass anything HABA has done for this age, yet the manufacturing quality and general visual presentation fall short of the big H's standards. Selecta's I have no first-person experience of but have read some very good things about.

Of both companies only a few titles are in print at any one time, but many of the older ones which you can read about on BoardGameGeek are still in shops, and the English instructions still available from the respective publisher's website (here for beleduc and here for Selecta).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bikefreak wrote:
Hoot Owl Hoot!

Do you think his motor skills will be up to Gulo Gulo before 3? It is definitely on my list to get at some point but I worry that it will be way too difficult before he's 3/3.5/4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Kater Murr wrote:
bikefreak wrote:
Hoot Owl Hoot!

Do you think his motor skills will be up to Gulo Gulo before 3? It is definitely on my list to get at some point but I worry that it will be way too difficult before he's 3/3.5/4?

Worked for my just over 2 yr old. Needed coaching on moving backwards when the stick falls out. Also with the rules/strategy on moving back forward quickly. He had so much fun with it. (and still does, he is almost 3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
High Ho Cherry-O
Hungry, Hungry Hippos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started introducing these types of games at age 3, which I think was the appropriate time.

The best game I know of for 2-year-olds is Go Away Monster!.

Perhaps also Loopin' Chewie or Hungry Hungry Hippos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,
have a look at our list for our 3-year old (it looks like it was ages ago :-) I offer some advice for 2 year olds. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171938/our-collection-boa...

Don't overspend as kids tend to outgrow these (expensive) games quickly. And try to use Snail's pace race asap. It is so boring!! We played it a couple of times and it was the first one I gave away. I could never really figure out why lots of people loved this. Much prefer First orchard for learning to take turns with a cooperative game.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allie Tyndall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickie wrote:

Don't overspend as kids tend to outgrow these (expensive) games quickly.

Absolutely. You'll blink and they'll be playing Twilight Imperium (Third Edition).

I may have exaggerated slightly there, but we barely got four plays in of Catan: Junior before he'd grown out of it*

*Effortlessly won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickie wrote:
Hi,
have a look at our list for our 3-year old (it looks like it was ages ago :-) I offer some advice for 2 year olds. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/171938/our-collection-boa...

Don't overspend as kids tend to outgrow these (expensive) games quickly. And try to use Snail's pace race asap. It is so boring!! We played it a couple of times and it was the first one I gave away. I could never really figure out why lots of people loved this. Much prefer First orchard for learning to take turns with a cooperative game.

Enjoy.

Thanks, favourited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raccoon Rumpus was one of the first games our son really enjoyed playing, along with Hoot Owl Hoot! (at someone's recommendation, we took out a few of the sun cards so that we had a better chance of beating it). He was about 2 1/2 when he got both of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before my family knew about Haba games, we bought some of the simpler mass produced Hasbro ones to get my kids used to playing games in general - games like Candyland, Pop the Pig, Buckaroo, simple roll and move style games. Of the Haba games, we haven't tried the "My first game" line, but we did enjoy several easier ones like Such Bello!(probably work for 2-3yo) and Monza (a bit too hard for a 3 yo). I think this newest iteration of Gulo Gulo (Pharoah's Gulo Gulo) ends up being a bit too long for a 2 or 3 year old to sit through a whole game, but the picking out the right balls part could work as a simpler game on it's own. I think starting games at about 2 is about right for kids...they learn turn taking and other skills that are really applicable to life this way. I have a geeklist that covers ages 3-5 so far that I try to update regularly - Family with Young Children - The Games We Play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandan Parsons
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Roll & Play is the cutest thing ever, and a great way to introduce wee ones to the concept of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my two year old loved

Orchard We all used to dance when we beat the crow
and
Monza
for monza we added house rules that you roll one dice. then you move the car to the closest color on the rolled dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haba's Zitternix ("the stick game") is a hit with all ages in our house, down to toddlers. You take turns removing sticks that are holding up a ring until someone drops the ring. There's a 3-color die that can help you choose which kind of stick to remove for points, but with the youngest players we just let them pick whichever stick they want.

Hisss by Gamewright: simple pattern matching and turn-taking. Can be played cooperatively or competitively.

Don't Break the Ice is always fun for all our kids (2, 5, 7), although I get tired of setting it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peek-a-Boo always worked fine for me at that age

Seriously, though, I collected a bunch of yellow-boxed Haba games from flea markets here in Berlin when my boys were born. And when they were finally old enough to play them, they passed them over in favor of "Daddy's games."

So I took games like Ticket to Ride and made up easier rules to them: just drawing cards and playing trains in the same colors, trying to connect 2 cities on one card. It was still better than Candyland!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Items needed
Big Garden, chocolate treat in crafted treasure chest
Play hot n cold

But seriously here is a tried and tested game for 18 months to 3 years.
you can include older kids but they tend to be competitive , so make teams.
Next get 4 yarn/knitting wool balls,must be different colours.
Cut one strand from each ball of wool for each child playing approx 3 inches.so four children=16 strands
Keep little ones indoors and get someone to hang the wool all round the garden or park area.low enough for the smallest one.
Free the little ones and ask them to hunt the cotton caterpillars and to hold no more than four strands each.
Randomise a point system for the colours at the END of the game then count up scores.
I set this game up quite often for the missus who is a childcare practitioner.
The children love this game and you can play it indoors too but open space is best for young ones.
No wool no problem use pipe cleaners or coloured paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly Rowland
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am so glad this question was posted my son turns 2 in October as well and I have been researching games for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
we are thinking of getting Rory's Story Cubes for my two year old daughter. A great way to introduce games as she already loves stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chief0101 wrote:
we are thinking of getting Rory's Story Cubes for my two year old daughter. A great way to introduce games as she already loves stories.

It's a great cheap game we still play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to ask the same question as my daughter just turned two. I ordered Snails Pace Race for her which I think she'll enjoy. I didn't know about Orchard... now I'm thinking that will make a nice Christmas gift. I'm so excited to get her into games! Tonight I got out Carcassonne and attempted to teach her the basics. She enjoyed placing a meeple on every tile she placed. She understood that the tiles needed to be next to each other but only correctly lined them up once or twice. I think it was a great first run!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
I came here to ask the same question as my daughter just turned two. I ordered Snails Pace Race for her which I think she'll enjoy. I didn't know about Orchard... now I'm thinking that will make a nice Christmas gift. I'm so excited to get her into games! Tonight I got out Carcassonne and attempted to teach her the basics. She enjoyed placing a meeple on every tile she placed. She understood that the tiles needed to be next to each other but only correctly lined them up once or twice. I think it was a great first run!

My kids (3, 5 and 7) have a great time with Snails Pace Race. I put an M&M (or the like) at the finish line for each snail and when their snail reaches the finish line, they get to eat their M&M. They love that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Torr
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Buy less, play more.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Away Monster. So glad that it's back in print. My kids loved it, as has every 2-4-year-old I've shown it to.

https://smile.amazon.com/Go-Away-Monster-Board-Game/dp/B01EB...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.