Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key for me in this game is pretty simple, keeping a few things in mind:

- Everyone has 12 huts in their color, and there are 12 villages that will be made in the game. Try in be in as many of them as you can (except the starving off ones. =)

- Conversely, try and limit your opponents -- try and let them only score 5 or 6 out of 12 (the clumping strategy suggested above) and try and make them smaller when possible.

- If you do get 2 of your huts together, that's when you try and put the squeeze on other colors -- get all 5 colors into the village so you can strife some of them out.

- Keeping in mind rule number 1, I also encourage you to make a deliberate attempt to kill one of your own huts early in a village that wasn't going to score much anyways (losing 3pts, but getting 1 pt, plus confusing your opponent) as it throws others of your scent while getting you a village chip.

I hope these help. With 4 players, this game is very chaotic, but with 2 or 3 I find it to be very interesting and tactical. My win loss record in this game (2 and 3 players games) is something like 25W-1L. (Mind you I haven't told you all my tricks in this game, but those are the main ones. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Clans tactics
familygaming (#23266),

Ack Jeremy .angry, you beat me to it!

I was thinking of writing up my own summary of Clans tactics in an article...I guess there's nothing to keep me from doing it although I think it would be a bit repetitive.

Points #1 and #2 are the most important. With respect to #1, it should be pointed out that the bonuses get bigger and bigger as the game progresses with the 12th clan always getting a 5 pt. bonus. Thus, if you were to only score in 10 of the 12 villages, it's much more crucial to score late in the game than it is to score in the first scoring phase.

With respect to #2: if you manage to cluster 3 or even 4 huts of an opponents color, that means you have reduced their scoring opportunities by at least 3 or 4 villages. This is why it is so important to "attack" the other colors by the clumping/clustering technique.

By the way Jeremy, if you're willing to put that winning record on the line, we should get together for a couple luncheon matches on BSW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldboy_1 (#23346),

My meager tips:

The most important thing, IMO, is to simply play off your opponent. If they're manuevering to form a village, make sure that your color is going to be represented. If possible, make sure that you're the person who moves the last piece to form the village. You'll get the token this way. Against inexperienced players, this is pretty easy to accomplish.

If a village is going to score, and your color isn't represented (and there's no way of getting your color into the village), at least get the token.

When you're not able to directly play off your opponent to your advantage, I would begin setting up scoring situations for later epochs... say, for example, it's the first epoch. You can't play off your opponent to good advantage. Start collecting huts for a big score in the 2nd epoch -- just make sure that your opponent can't "destroy" the village in one, or two, moves (have a "retreat" path if possible).

-V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
cnd_77 wrote:
Volstag (#24601),
I'd also add the following:

Don't be afraid to kill off a village if all 5 colors are in it. That way, relative to the other players, you all lose 1 scoring opportunity, but the person who creates the village gets the bonus chip.

I agree (and note that something similar is easier to accomplish using "bad terrain": if you lose a hut, but kill other 3-4 huts in the process AND get a chip... do it IMMEDIATELY!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Tosterud
Norway
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Luke the Flaming (#29559),
AND, becouse your not getting any points for having most huts in a village (exept if all are represented), push the hut of a color already represented inside the village instead of out to make the village, if its not your color that is. Killing other huts are most important, and the others will perhaps think you are that color too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.