Subject: Starter League #11 (August) - COMPLETE (Base Set + Secret Wars v2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Reference wrote:
This league is COMPLETE.
Registration ends August 17th.
Match 1 is due Monday, August 8th.
Match 2 is due Monday, August 15th.
Match 3 is due Monday, August 22nd.

Only the Legendary Base Set and Secret Wars volume 2 expansions are allowed.

There are LIMITED special Bystanders in this league, but NO Sidekicks.

Spetember's League will feature Villains, with the first match due on September 5th. You may mix the heroes and villains base sets, or play with only the Villains base set!

Welcome to another month and another Starter League! If you've been looking to play in one of the Legendary Leagues here on the site, but you've only got the base set, and maybe an expansion or two, I'm here for you!

If you're new to the "Starter Leagues," these are going to be limited to the Heroes Base Set and up to 1 Expansion. Each league will run for only 3 matches, reducing the amount of time you'll need to finish or catch up if you need to. A new league will start each month, so you'll always have an opportunity to play! Winners gain the ability to set the terms for a future league.

Format
A new Starter league will be posted near the beginning of each month. Some leagues will only use a base set, while others may include 1 expansion set as well. There will be 3 matches in the league, so that it will end within the same month. Each match will have a randomly determined setup, allowing you to pick some of the heroes you'll use to fight the Mastermind.

In Match 1 and 3, you'll pick 2 heroes from those available in the league's sets.
In Match 2, you'll pick 1 hero.

(You can only pick a hero once, so you can't choose to include Spider-Man in Match 1 and 2, for example. The app will present you with a list of options and automatically filter out your previous selections when you attempt to post your results so you don't mess it up.)

Results will be ranked using the Points Per Turn method. So rather than calculating your score using the formula in the back of the rulebook, the app will determine the average amount of points you earned over the number of turns you played the game. Accumulating points as you defeat the Mastermind quickly is key!

More information about the ranking can be seen on the website.

How to Play
To play, head over to http://www.legendaryleagues.com and register an account if you need one using the link in the top right. Then, after logging in, select the league from the front page, then click the Register button from the league details screen!

All games will be played using the Advanced Solo Rules from the Dark City expansion. If you don't have it, those rules (and some other clarifications) are listed on the website. Also, look out for match specific clarifications at the bottom of each match block!

You should only play each match once and report your results.

You'll need to keep track of the following to report your results:
Did you win? (Generally, this means did you defeat the mastermind, but some Schemes have alternate win conditions, like Forge the Infinity Gauntlet.)
How many victory points are in your victory pile?
How many twists did you draw during the match? (And stayed out, in case some get shuffled back in the deck.)
How many enemies escaped?
How many bystanders were carried away by enemies?
How many rounds did it take for you to finish the match?
Which non-random heroes did you use?

Prizes

The player who finishes in 1st place will get to choose the expansion included in the month after next's league. (So October, not September.)

You have Dark City and want to use that? Okay. You only got the Guardians expansion? No problem. Want to spice it up and mix in the Villains set? I like your style. Civil War! Civil War!

The player who finishes in 2nd place will get to choose one card/group from the Mastermind's side to guarantee as included or excluded in the match of their choice.

You hate the Negative Zone, and don't want it used as a scheme? I don't blame you. Let's pitch it. You love the Nega-Bomb? So do I! It's in! You think using Dark City demands fighting Apocalypse in Match 2 where the players have less choice? Wow, that's hard core, but okay.

As always, let me know if you have any questions, and have fun playing!

Match Lineup:

Match 1 - Due Monday night, Aug 08, 2016
Mastermind: King Hyperion
Scheme: Deadlands Hordes Charge the Wall
Villain Group: K'un-Lun , Monster Metropolis
Henchmen: (3) Magma Men
Heroes: The Captain and The Devil
You may select 2 additional Heroes from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 21
Max VP: 133
Villain Deck Contents: 8 K'un-Lun, 8 Monster Metropolis, 3 Magma Men, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Match 2 - Due Monday night, Aug 15, 2016
Mastermind: Spider-Queen
Scheme: The God-Emperor of Battleworld
Villain Group: Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars
Henchmen: (3) Spider-Infected
Heroes: Black Swan , Elsa Bloodstone
You may select 1 additional Hero from the list of available Heroes.

Max VP: 99
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, 3 Spider-Infected, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Match 3 - Due Monday night, Aug 22, 2016
Mastermind: Shiklah, The Demon Bride
Scheme: The Mark of Khonshu
Villain Group: X-Men '92
Heroes in the Villain Deck: Beast
Henchmen: (3) Khonshu Guardians
Heroes: Corvus Glaive

Max Turn Count: 27
Max VP: 67
Villain Deck Contents: 8 X-Men '92, 3 Khonshu Guardians, 5 Strikes, 10 Twists, 14 Beast, 1 Bystander

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
Re: Starter League #11 (August) - NOW OPEN (Base Set + Secret Wars v2)
TravelSized wrote:

Match 3 - Due Monday night, Aug 22, 2016

Villain Deck Contents: 8 X-Men '92, 3 Khonshu Guardians, 5 Strikes, 10 Twists, 14 Soulsword Colossus, 1 Bystander

Have fun!

Beast in the Villain deck or Soulsword Colossus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beast, fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played match 2. 7th twist came out about turn 10 before I could hit Spider-Queen. That cost me a lot of VPs, was just a race to beat Doom after that. Got him on turn 16 and thanks to Black Swan I knew I only had two turns left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive the pun, but match 3 was a total BEAST!

Master strike, scheme twist, master strike, scheme twist etc etc there goes the villain deck.

Lost on turn 8 before I could really do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Martin
United Kingdom
Hull
flag msg tools
I ain't afraid of no ghost!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only finished Match 1 so far, I hate King Hyperion so much!

Lost the match but gave it a good go (only needed one more hit to finish him off)!

Oh well, onwards to match no 2.

Cheers again for setting up this league TravelSized!
Gives me a reason to get Legendary out...I don't actually need a reason but this league helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narfbuster wrote:
Lost the match but gave it a good go (only needed one more hit to finish him off)!

At least you were able to hit him. cry

Between Hyperion and the Horde rushes, they kept pushing several of the villains that could KO my SHIELD guys out of the city before I could get to them, making it much harder for me to pull off my intended Spectrum super-plays with Cap, Agent Venom and Arkon. I took out a lot of other villains, though, except for Kung Fu Iron Fist, because getting a 6 cost card eluded me for way too long.

I did decide, though, that I'm just going to use the characters from SWv2 (and not the base set) just to get some more games in with them. (Also, they make Spectrum easier.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw NUTS! I realized the deadline for Bout #1 was tonight. I found myself with a couple of spare minutes so I figured I'd hammer it out. It was really ugly, ended in 12 turns all thanks to several Master Strikes and Scheme Twists coming up in close succession and only 7 VPs As I was cleaning up, I realized I used a Hero from SWv1 which means the round doesn't count With no time to make it up before tonight's deadline, I'll have to post 2 matches for next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Week 1 Results
Did you guys see the marathon last week? Tons of people running through the city like madmen. I don't know what that was all about, but dontfeedthegreen must have won the race.

Current Standings:
Rank Username Total Adjusted Points
1 dontfeedthegreen19
2 Sylterix 18
3 MVD 17
4 jerkstores 16
5 alduc 15
6 Anandja 14
7 EasyAsPi314 13
8 ahab105 12
9 travelsized 11
10 SMartin21 10
11 Zalrus9 9

Full results here: http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/matches/973/rankings

A small group this week, for sure, and a pretty tough match with only about a 50% win rate. jekrstores was able to pull off a win with my Spectrum team, so that makes me feel better. Meanwhile, alduc left all the SW2 heroes behind for a classic Iron Man and Cap teamup.

Next week is pretty tough, with "We're not legally allowed to call him Dr. Doom, but we all know it's him" showing up with the not-too-tough Spider Queen. The real challenge will be finding a way to get enough attack to take out Doom from the small attack values that fill Elsa and Swan's cards.

Match 2 - Due Monday night, 2016-08-15
Mastermind: Spider-Queen
Scheme: The God-Emperor of Battleworld
Villain Group: Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars
Henchmen: (3) Spider-Infected
Heroes: Black Swan, Elsa Bloodstone
You may select 1 additional Hero from the list of available Heroes.

Max VP: 99
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, 3 Spider-Infected, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Important notice:

The LegendaryLeagues.com website is running on Amazon's cloud system, and they sent me a notice that my server is having a hardware degradation issue they can't fix, so they'll be shutting it down in the next few days. I'm going to be trying to migrate it over to a different server today, so it may be unavailable for portions of the day. The database should not be effected by this move (just the webapp server), but make sure you write down the results of any games you play just to be safe. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

And Dr. Doom certainly had nothing to do with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Dr. Doom certainly had nothing to do with this.

Yeah, right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Davis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Match 3 was pretty tough. After just 4 turns the city was full, and I thought it was gonna end pretty quickly. One thing I noticed is that Evil Wins if 7 Guardians escape, but the regular villains (X-Men '92 in this case) don't count toward that total. I ended up letting a few of them escape to buy time and focus on Beast and the henchmen. Probably hurt my score, but kept me from losing for sure.

Wolverine and Black Swan combo'd nicely with Corvus Glaive. His 2-cost brown/green "Let None Escape You" was an cheap way to get 2 recruit and acted as a seed card for Wolvie's draw cards and Swan's "Witness the End." With her KO'ing mooks, and his aforementioned 2-recruit cards, I got "Berserker Rage" and ended the game with 46 attack in one round. Unfortunately, it took me 15 turns to get there. On the plus side, by that point, all the twists and MS's were already out, so Shiklah couldn't resurrect.

Not a lot of points available in this one from the Enemies due to gaining Beast and most of the X-Men as you defeat them, plus one less Mastermind points card for the Deadpool gained. The max VP is 67, and 40 of that is for the Bystanders, minus any that Corvus Glaive ends up KO'ing.

An interesting and challenging match. Thanks again Jason, and good luck to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Hensel
msg tools
Totally didn't realize I came in second last time. I haven't been on lately because I was bummed about the CW expansion continually being pushed back, but I would have chosen Deadpool's villain group anyway so it looks like all is well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, your choice is for next month. Villains is the set chosen for that league.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Hensel
msg tools
Ok cool. Then I'll pick Prof. X as a Mastermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Ducharme
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Match 3 was a beast (pun intended). The strategy I went with was not buying a single economy card, concentrating on attack so I could recruit the cards directly from the villain deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! Match #3 was, by far, the WORST game *EVER*!!!!! Only lasted five rounds and I fought/defeated a grand total of ZERO villains!

Here's why (to the best of my note-taking ability that I started after the train of disaster began):

Turn 1:
Jubilee

Turn 2:
Jubilee

Turn 3:
Master Strike (draw again)
Beast

Turn 4:
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
Bystander
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
X-Men '92 Beast
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
X-Men '92 Beast
Khonshu Gardians
X-Men '92 Wolverine
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
X-Men '92 Jubilee
Beast
Khonshu Guardians
Beast
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
Beast
Scheme Twist (draw 2)
Beast
Beast

Turn 5:
Beast

~~~~~~~~~

After the discussion a couple of days ago about how I had been doing my shuffles in a manner that would have been considered illegal, I decided for this season I would go back to simply stacking all of the various decks one on top of the other and shuffling from there. Clearly, even though I thought I'd shuffled plenty of times over the span of what I would guess is about two minutes straight (to compensate for everything starting out together), it wasn't enough -- especially this match.

I think I'll go back to the way I'd been doing my shuffling since it seemed to reduce my overall chances of getting these big pockets of the same cards. The way I'd been doing it was taking each deck and making 5x stacks, one card at a time. Once all of the cards had been spread, I'd then pick them up in order of 1, 3, 5, 2, 4 and then shuffling them for about a minute. Sure, I still got pockets, but nothing as brutal as this season, especially this match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to remind everyone to thank Hestiansun for setting up match #3 this month. I'll be playing it soon to see what all the excitement is about, but I think I've got a good idea now. Hey, at least Dr. Strange wasn't the Mastermind. Turn 1 loss, anyone?

Thud105 wrote:
I think I'll go back to the way I'd been doing my shuffling since it seemed to reduce my overall chances of getting these big pockets of the same cards. The way I'd been doing it was taking each deck and making 5x stacks, one card at a time. Once all of the cards had been spread, I'd then pick them up in order of 1, 3, 5, 2, 4 and then shuffling them for about a minute. Sure, I still got pockets, but nothing as brutal as this season, especially this match.

That sounds fine. I might recommend doing more than 5 stacks (I typically do 7-9 piles), but it really comes down to how much you shuffle afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do something similar. It's allowed in the big leagues DarthEd runs (I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
Match 3 is just tough. One bad round had 5 villains escape. I just couldn't keep up.

This was one of the toughest leagues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished it. I think 3 escapes was my worst for a round. I might have won at the end, having survived all the Twists with only 6 escapes and space to spare, but then Beast '92 showed up and charged a Guardian Beast out of the city.

Nah, I wasn't going to win that one, but I might have hit more than 8 points. I managed to take out Professor X for a whole 6 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Week 2 Results
Don't tell the Spider Queen, but Dr. Doom is standing right behind her. Don't tell Dr. Doom, but jerkstores is about to punch his face plate off of his stupid head.

Current Standings:
Rank Username Total Adjusted Points
1 jerkstores 42.5
2 dontfeedthegreen42
3 alduc 41.5
4 Jimd11 39
5 Anandja 36.5
6 Rincey 34.5
7 Sylterix 34
8 EasyAsPi314 31.5
9 Zalrus9 24.5
10 Dolemitesooner 24
11 travelsized 23.5
12 SMartin21 23
13 Thud105 21

Full results here: http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/matches/974/rankings

Just under a 50% win rate this week, as Battleworld continues to be a miserable, brutally oppressive wonderful place under the cruel just hand of Doom.

Lots of Black Widow at the top of the charts this week, and it's not a big surprise. You need someone who can pack a big punch against Doom, and the Spider henchmen can give you a few extra bystanders along the way. Time-Traveling Jean Grey even saw some love this week! Her classes were a good fit with the rest of the group, but I just refused to pull the trigger on that one.

My biggest problem was that despite having a lot of KO options in the Hero deck, I didn't see them until it was far too late. My initial HQ was full of 3 cost 2 attack heroes for a while, so I couldn't get any recruit power to grab the more expensive KO cards when they appeared later on.

Once more into the breach:

Match 3 - Due Monday night, 2016-08-22

Villain Deck Contents: 8 X-Men '92, 3 Khonshu Guardians, 5 Strikes, 10 Twists, 14 Beast, 1 Bystander

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Martin
United Kingdom
Hull
flag msg tools
I ain't afraid of no ghost!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, that last match was no fun at all!

Felt like it wasn't even worth setting up the game for the 6 turns I played before I lost spectacularly!

A season to forget methinks.

One positive is it was nice to play with the SW2 heroes and villains as I tend not to use them very often.

Won't be in September's league as I don't own Villains, hopefully be back for October's league (has the expansion been chosen yet?) and hoping to do better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The set for October will be chosen by this month's winner.

Match #3 is challenging, for sure. If I had more time, I'd probably replay it for fun with different hero setups to see how much better I could do. I think a Spider team may have been more effective than what I went with. I was shocked to see Captain Britain at the top of the list because I had pretty much discounted him as unplayable, but with the gainable X-Men '92 heroes you get an extra team for him to play off of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this expansion, and I enjoyed this league, despite getting destroyed on match 3.

If I ever win a league I think I'd pick this expansion again, but I always seem to come 4th so that won't happen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.