Ernie Darby
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

I am starting to gather all my 'requirements" for a gaming table and I really want to do a rail system but I want it to be simple and easy. I am worried about how they may easily break or have other issues.

Has anyone had any experience on this or may have some recommendations. My dad had a wood shop and when I showed it to him he was confident that it would be possible but I am trying to make see how others have fared.

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Also when we start I will be sure to document the process for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Swanson
msg tools
One thing to consider is 'planned' breakage. In other words, say someone leans onto it and you know there is no way it can withstand the weight. Plan so that the cup holder (a small, easily replaceable piece) is what breaks, and not the rail itself (a very difficult to fix, integral part of the table)

You won't be able to prevent something from breaking if the table is misused, or if an accident happens. But you can plan so that the repair is as easy as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As John said, make it so that the accessory breaks, not the table. To do this, I would look at using some Aluminum C Channel. This is stronger than wood and with some minor modifications could be made to work.

My modifications would be to take the channel and using a table saw cut the bottom lip off. This opens up the space into the channel and still has the upper lip which is required to hook everything into. If you dado a track out of the table side and screw this aluminum channel into it, the wood will support the channel while the channel supports all the accessories.

If I was doing a rail system, this would be my approach. Test it out and see how well it works.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.