Hide
12 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Point of clarification - Tie Phantom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Herron
msg tools
1. Can the Tie Phantom be attacked while cloaked? I assume 'yes' since it is given two agility when cloaked. So, what's the point of being cloaked if you can be attacked? By definition, cloaking should allow me to be hidden and invisible. But it seems I am not invisible so my enemy sees my shimmer and takes a shot in my general direction? Am I right?

2. If you attach a Stealth Attack upgrade to a ship, my enemy can still fire on me (only without the added agility like the Phantom)? Again, what use is a cloak of stealth ability?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot attack while cloaked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
You cannot attack while cloaked.

It's less about the extra green dice (although they certainly help) and more about the 'uncertainty of position' represented by the 2-straight-template movement you execute when decloaking. That can VERY easily jump you behind an enemy ship or mess up their plan of attack, completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still be attacked while cloaked. Like you said, it gives you the extra two Agility for purposes of defense, which is nothing to sneeze at; Stealth Device gives you one extra agility for three points and it goes away as soon as you're hit.

There's also the strong repositioning aspect when you decloak. That's why the Phantom was originally so powerful. You decloaked before you revealed your dial, meaning you knew where all the lower PS pilots were already. You could decloak, do your maneuver, then barrel roll and either get yourself out of trouble or line up four or five red dice on a target. Now that you decloak at the start of the Activation phase it's a little less powerful, but there's still an advantage to suddenly not being where your opponent planned on you being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Herron
msg tools
Is it me, or does it seem counter intuitive that you can be attacked while cloaked? what's the point of the cloak ability of you can be attacked (other than allowing for more random movement, as you pointed out)? It just seems wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frustr8tedInc wrote:
Is it me, or does it seem counter intuitive that you can be attacked while cloaked? what's the point of the cloak ability of you can be attacked (other than allowing for more random movement, as you pointed out)? It just seems wrong!

It boosts your defense as well. If you couldn't be attacked the adv. cloaking device would be OP against anything <PS9. You could shoot, cloak and legitimately be unhittable. Why would anyone bother to play in such a match?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frustr8tedInc wrote:

Remember that cloak does not mean total invisibility. There are such things as radars, heat detectors, targetting computers, predicting where the ooponent will be and of course...the Force.

So being invisible does not make you immune to being hit, just harder. This is represented by the extra 2 die in defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does an X-Wing roll three attack dice when it clearly has four guns? There are going to be instances where balance and gameplay supersede adhering to the letter of the lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Herron
msg tools
Nushura,

Your statement lines up with my presumptive explanation, so thanks for confirming them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Herron
msg tools
Swamp Crocker,

I would rather the Tie Phantom be unassailable except when it attacks, but I concede your point. You're right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Herron
msg tools
Richard,
Excellent point! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not entirely appropriate for the original question...

...but with the blast shield down, i can't even see, how am i supposed to fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.