Subject: Second Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Heilers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just picked up a copy of the Second Edition at Half-Price Books, for under $20.00. The box says "1000 Counters" and I counted 1,002 - so I am fairly confident the game is complete. Is this early edition "playable?" It seems to predate all of the wonderful resources provided on:

https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's from before I was playing WIF I think. I haven't heard anything to make me think it is NOT playable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Well, that's from before I was playing WIF I think.

How is that sentence even possible? My understanding of the stability of the universe is now on shaky ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Well, that's from before I was playing WIF I think.

How is that sentence even possible? My understanding of the stability of the universe is now on shaky ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I started with World in Flames version 3, so I don't know version 2. But even the original World in Flames won the best game award at Origins - I'm sure you have a fine game regardless of new versions.

Having said that, despite some naysayers, new versions of the game are improvements. They are based mostly on additional game results, finding issues, more historical research, game ideas to make the game more fun, etc. One of the great parts of being in the World in Flames 'Community' is that the game is being updated and supported, mostly by ADG but also by fans.

Of course, buying a different version means you have to lay out money. For some people, given that a WiFFE game can take 150 hours (earlier versions a little faster) if you play a few games, the cost may not be that material; it can be worth it fore the view of a 'better' game. For other people getting the best game for the money is paramount.

So in conclusion, with WiF 2 you almost certainly have a good game. Most people find the later versions better. There is no assurance that you will but that is the large majority. So if you want to optimize gaming time, think about a later (indeed probably the latest version, and a new one is coming out soon) version but as with any consumer choice, you should decide where you want to stand on the price/quality scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gray
United States
Strasburg
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found WiF about thirty years ago, and I believe it was 2nd Edition that I first played. It was playable, and I recall that in 1988 I was able to play a fairly complete game in two weeks of evenings and weekends. The later additions add so much more flavor but the core mechanics were the same back then.

Could I go back to 2nd Edition? I don't think so. But did I think it was playable? Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with 3rd or 4th or 5th or FE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.