Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I just played Above and Below and what I got from this play is :

1. The illustrations of Laukat make his games very immersive and evocative
2. The quest book is really well written, as cute and warm than his illustrations are. I also really liked that it's not just a narrative coat to give flavor to the game (even if it's an enhancer of fun for the table), it also have a mechanic purpose. The story give you hint of what outcome you can expect from your choice. If you find a pot and you are suggested to steal it with a difficulty of 3 and 7 you might expect at the 3 level a potion and minus 1 reputation and at 7 a pot a potion and also minus something reputation. You are not sure of course, this is the random part, but you can have an idea so you can decide what is the best thing for you to do depending of what kind of items you are looking for.

I expect near and far to have the same "meaningful narrative" mechanic. It seems that now it's more about flags than items but it should work the same. And I like it.

The thing with above and belows that I am not a "euro-type build your town and gather stuff" gamer. I play this games but it's not my preferred genre. I am much more about adventures in the wild. So I am that much more interested in Near and Far.

But.

The thing that bothers me is the very thing that makes a lot of you excited about the game: the campaign nature of the game.
I played two campaign based games, Pandemic legacy with friends and Mice and Mystics with my kids. Two very good games that I really liked. But the campaign part of this two great games was more pressure than fun in this two instances.
First, you have to play with the same people in order for it to work. Which can be difficult.
And you have to play the games toe to toe in order to the campaign to make sense. Which can be very difficult. With my friends we play once in a while and we are not necessarily in the mood for the same game again and again even if the game is very good. Even with my kids, we don't have always the time for long games. Campaigns put some pressure to play frequently the same game which can end up feel like work.

So my question is: can you play and enjoy the Near and Far without bothering about the campaign ?
If I understand correctly, each maps come with a lot of quests on it (16 spot each)so you can play ten individual games on each maps without bothering about campaigning. But how much do you spoil if you play for instance the last map ? Is there branching stories that are meaningless if you didn't done the quests on the other previous maps ?

-the story mode: so story mode means that when you go on a quest on a map you don't read the paragraphs of the maps but the paragraphs attached to the character ? It's a very good idea but it does mean that this mode is only playable in a campaign mode, right ?

-how long one game is ? If it's under an hour, it would make campaigning easier...

Thank you for your insights !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I got it right, you may play the maps just for the maps and you will have 11 different maps to choose from. Plus we unlocked the arcade mode, which has card driven event resolution. Thus you can play without the book completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
The book should be reslly the fun part. But playing just a game/a map without worrying about the campaign seems possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you've enjoyed Above and Below!

In Near and Far, you can play "Short Mode", which basically works like Above and Below and ignores the campaign elements. You choose any map you want in this mode, and play only one game.

Each game takes about 30 minutes per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer another one of your questions: There are only really branching story lines in Story Mode, which does have to be played as a campaign but Story Mode is a shorter campaign than Campaign Mode (only 3-4 games as opposed to 10).

If you play a later map in Short Mode you won't be missing out on anything from previous maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how involved these campaign decisions will be, but if you could document what choices were made you could create a "previously on Near and Far" and just do a high level overview. It might be kind of cool after the play session to jot what the high level points were.

"After establishing two outposts along the train, 'Anthony' discovered a series of caves where he encountered a talkative Glogos. Things when ary however when Anthony pulled out a lantern and accidentally dropped it on the floor of the cave. Oil and flame met to engulf the Glogos, which didn't set well with the others in the cave. When faced with the decision to run or fight, Anthony drew his blade and slew all who attacked. Naturally, he didn't want it to come to this end, but it was life or death. Never one to miss an opportunity for loot, Anthony grabbed his rope, fish, and new treasure map and headed out with a little worse for the wear. He lost reputation, but gained valuable hand to hand experience."

This would be a fun way to revisit the decisions made while staying true to the story aspects of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
So my question is: can you play and enjoy the Near and Far without bothering about the campaign ?

Yes! There are multiple "modes" for play. Full Campaign, then a shorter Story mode, and then you can also play one-off games with Short Mode. Short Mode alone is easily 10 different games across 10 different maps (wouldn't want to play map 11 and ruin anything!) If that wasn't enough, the Arcade mode gives you further flexibility with additional cards vs. the story book. So many options!

Moshimon wrote:
the story mode...a very good idea but it does mean that this mode is only playable in a campaign mode, right?

Sounds like either Story Mode (a few games, 3-4 plays) or Short Mode/Arcade Mode (one time plays) will take care of this concern?

Moshimon wrote:
how long one game is ? If it's under an hour, it would make campaigning easier...

Brenna has reported a few times that they are looking at roughly 30 minutes per player, so better plan 2 hours for a four player game, or just an hour for a 2 player romp through the hills of Near and Far!

Cheers!
~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.