Nations» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some event cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zanlin phon
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Hello all:

1.Fourth Crusade: Most strength: may -3 coins +1 point and least strength -4 books.

In FAQ 1.9
Fourth Crusade:- Nation with least Strength only loses books if Nation with most Strength paid the gold. If most Strength does not (or cannot)
pay gold then nothing happens. In a 5-player game the Nation with the
most Strength makes the choice (and if tied the player of those that
is first in player order), the bonus then applies to both strongest
Nations.

Does it mean the second most strength player can't -3 coins to add 1 point? It seems to have a little contradiction to what both two most (strength or stability) players can benefit from event in 5 player game.

2.Imperial Examination: All with a medieval advisor +1 point.

What if one have two advisor? And what if one is antiquity and one is medieval or both two are medieval?

3.Anarchism: Remove advisors and -1 point.

It is interesting that I find that this is only place in nations where "remove advisors" appears, rather than "remove advisor". Does it means only this event remove extra advisors ?(like zhu xi or Porcelain Tower or Portugal empire) However, in FAQ 1.9 Porcelain Tower – If you lose your advisor through any effect and you have two advisors, you lose both. If you lose the advisor placed on Porcelain Tower you can place a new one on it. All in all, what may happen to this events "remove advisors" and "remove advisor" with extra advisor?

4.Papal Indulgence:

If the most stable player (say Rome) hire 1 architecture and Versailles is ready, who will suffer -2 coins?

For example: stability: (Rome,venice)=(1,0)
Case1 Rome 0 Venice -2 (Versailles does not work here)
Case2 Rome -2 Venice -2 (Both player become others)
Case3 Rome -2 Venice 0 (Venice become the most)
Case4 Rome -2 Venice 0 (Venice even can hire one architecture for free)
For the case in 5 player game with 2 most players, it can be more complex.

Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourth Crusade: The meaning in the faq was that if strongest pays in a 5-player game, it benefits second strongest as well. We deemed it easiest, but the effect is indeed strange. In the next version of the faq it is changed to:

Quote:
In a 5-player game the Nation with the most Strength makes the choice (and if tied the player of those that is first in player order). The negative effect applies normally to the two Nations with the least Strength. If Strongest pays, then second strongest may pay as well to get the bonus, but his/her choice does not affect weakest Nations.

It is normal that both strongest benefit from something in 5-player, there are many other events like that. But with this change there is not a major benefit to be second instead of first.

Imperial Examination: If you have one or more Medieval advisors you get 1 VP. Nothing extra if you have more, or advisors from other ages.

Remove advisors: Most places are without s, to make it simpler as that is almost always the case. If you lose advisor, you lose all advisors you have. I have added a new note to Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth for next faq:

Quote:
If you lose your advisor through any effect and you have two or more advisors, you lose all.

Papal Indulgence: The event happens first, and is fully resolved, before the effect of the wonder that is constructed is resolved. So Versailles has no effect on who suffers -2 gold.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
Fourth Crusade: The meaning in the faq was that if strongest pays in a 5-player game, it benefits second strongest as well. We deemed it easiest, but the effect is indeed strange. In the next version of the faq it is changed to:

Quote:
In a 5-player game the Nation with the most Strength makes the choice (and if tied the player of those that is first in player order). The negative effect applies normally to the two Nations with the least Strength. If Strongest pays, then second strongest may pay as well to get the bonus, but his/her choice does not affect weakest Nations.

It is normal that both strongest benefit from something in 5-player, there are many other events like that. But with this change there is not a major benefit to be second instead of first.

Rustan, I'd like to understand your reasoning for this ruling, if I may, particularly the part that I highlighted above.

I interpret the highlighted portion to mean that if strongest does not pay, then second strongest does not even have the option to pay to get the bonus; if this is correct, then there does seem to be a major benefit to being first instead of second since second strongest seems only to have the option to pay for the bonus but not to have an effect on the weakest nations, and to only have that option if the strongest exercises his option.

I would have expected your clarification to go as follows:

In a 5-player game, both strongest and second strongest may make the choice (in reverse player order). If at least one of strongest and second strongest pays, then the negative effect applies normally to the two Nations with the least Strength. (Thus, if both strongest and second strongest pay, the negative effect applies only once to the Nations with least strength.)

To my mind, my expected interpretation would allow both strongest and second strongest to benefit fully from the event independently of each other, while not being a "double whammy" for the weakest nations in the worst case.

I hope I've explained my perspective clearly. Thank you in advance for your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation is a possible other way to handle this, and we debated it as one of the alternative ways of handling this. The main reason we chose to do it the way it is like in the faq (as I remember it) is that it is slightly easier and faster. There are many many choices done in the design in this direction, each small one does not matter all that much, but together they give a large effect. I think there might have been some events where your interpretation would have caused some other problem too, but I am not sure. I might misremember, or it might have been events that did not make it to the printed version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.