Popular Tags: creative_commons [+] legal [+] [View All]
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created some graphics (black and white line art) for a miniatures game (essentially, stylized overhead views of troops) I'd like to get some suggestions about what license to use (e.g., GPL, etc.).

I'd like to allow people to download it, and even redistribute it as long as I'm credited. People can make modifications to it (break it up, glue pieces together, resize, color it, etc.), again as long as I'm credited.
People shouldn't be able to charge for it, since I'm providing it for free.

Can anyone recommend a license that serves this kind of purpose. Would Creative Commons be appropriate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
GPL is pretty good too, as it mandates distribution of the layers (source) as well as the flattened image (if layers were provided with the original). I think. Maybe. Anyway distribute your layers for maximum shareage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I've created some graphics (black and white line art) for a miniatures game (essentially, stylized overhead views of troops) I'd like to get some suggestions about what license to use (e.g., GPL, etc.).

I'd like to allow people to download it, and even redistribute it as long as I'm credited. People can make modifications to it (break it up, glue pieces together, resize, color it, etc.), again as long as I'm credited.
People shouldn't be able to charge for it, since I'm providing it for free.

Can anyone recommend a license that serves this kind of purpose. Would Creative Commons be appropriate?

There's no need to use a pre-written license if one does not suit your needs exactly. Creative Commons is just a standard license that was developed for a relatively small amount of uses. Copyright subsists in your work the second it is fixed in any tangible medium of expression, and you, as the author, have the right to define your own terms, whatever they may be. What I would do is just write up a license of your own and either attach it to the graphic file itself or as a separate file in an archive file. It can read something as simple as what you just wrote above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

There's no need to use a pre-written license if one does not suit your needs exactly. Creative Commons is just a standard license that was developed for a relatively small amount of uses. Copyright subsists in your work the second it is fixed in any tangible medium of expression, and you, as the author, have the right to define your own terms, whatever they may be. What I would do is just write up a license of your own and either attach it to the graphic file itself or as a separate file in an archive file. It can read something as simple as what you just wrote above.

Nate is absolutely right. However, the fine folks at Creative Commons have put a lot of work into creating fairly air-tight licenses that work under most circumstances, so if you find one that works for you (I think Aldie's suggested one fits your situation quite well), then it's probably preferable to rolling your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Here's the result:

http://www.stanford.edu/people/reuber/games/dok/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.