Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Wiggins
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game 2 player and couldn't help but come ask a question or two.

The end game trigger is # of buildings built.
Paying for a building without it syncing up with your combo isn't a good strategy because you're speeding up the game and trading VP's equally.
It takes at LEAST three actions to build... Collecting wood, fish, building... That is IF you can get enough fish or wood. Each building ears you 4 - 8 VP's on average with exceptions.

From what I read there is no limit to pirates and Sea Serpents you can own and conquering a city or port will give you 8-12 coins (VP) on average...

Not 15 minutes into the game the entire bank was exhausted and we had to keep track of money on paper...

I started just buying buildings to end it, but it seems there's always a better thing to do than build a building just run around all game and crush / diplomat cities.

Maybe it would have gone better on a set clock rather than an open ended player driven end game trigger. Anyone else have these situations come up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connors
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess you didn't discard the pirates and sea serpents when you used them. They're one-shot, which if you don't do, you'll be overloaded with them quickly, and just harvesting towns willy-nilly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiggins
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did discard them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice (both 2p) but we never came close to draining the bank especially in 15 minutes.

Where are you putting the money after you buy a building?

and you are paying the entry fee for each town you do not own?

Just seems tough to imagine all that money being gone so quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To take over a town another player owned you added 2 more attack/diplomacy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiggins
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes added the extra 2.
Discarded the money to the bank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
I've only played twice (both 2p) but we never came close to draining the bank especially in 15 minutes.

Sounds like they were not buying any buildings.

I played a 4P today and we conquered almost the whole map or used diplomacy and did not run out of money. We did run out of pirates at one point but that was it. We use our money though to buy buildings. If you just spent the whole time attacking each other, the game would never end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

Sounds like they were not buying any buildings.

I played a 4P today and we conquered almost the whole map or used diplomacy and did not run out of money.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how the bank runs out of money in a 2 player game.

Even though money is VP at the end of the game (1 to 1), I would think someone buying buildings would end up winning over someone not buying buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with that. Once you own everything, you are just trading VP back and fourth by taking it back from your opponent. Does not seem very fun. I'd rather spend my spoils to buy/build buildings and get renown to end the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Weekenstroo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first game which was 2p and understand your point. Buying isn't getting you that much which lead to us having a lot of money each. I could in the last turns the card where you brag about your buildings came up so we ended up just buying as many buildings as possible anteing with 14 and 10 buildings which seemed like a weird and game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Gould
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
It sounds to me like they didn't realize that buying a building is a free action. You can buy a building in addition to whatever action you do on your turn.

In these circumstances, I can see no reason not to buy buildings if you can afford them. You don't lose any VPs, and you gain the ability of the building. Why hoard the coins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisWattsalpoag wrote:
It sounds to me like they didn't realize that buying a building is a free action. You can buy a building in addition to whatever action you do on your turn.

In these circumstances, I can see no reason not to buy buildings if you can afford them. You don't lose any VPs, and you gain the ability of the building. Why hoard the coins?

Exactly. There's no reason to keep the money, except for a few coins for visiting towns. While everyone else was hoarding coins, I'd be buying buildings that are getting me renown, more vps, extra this and that, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.