7 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Loser, The Mirror, and the chaos that ensued... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Sturgill
United States
flag msg tools
We were playing a three player game this weekend (it was all of our first time with the game, but this was the third game in a row). I was the Loser, another at our table was the Mirror, and the third was the Reincarnator. The Loser and the Mirror were tied at 4 planets, but due to the actual time of play for my ability versus that of the Mirror, it made for a major brain game between us. I threw down a great card (a 30, it was all I had) but I still called an upset (making the winner the loser and the loser the winner) before throwing it down because I expected her to use her ability. She put her card down and called for a reversal like I'd hoped (the card numbers flip making my 30 an 03). I wasn't as lucky as I'd hoped though because she ended up playing a 20 which reflected to a 02. I however had a card ready in case that made both attack cards become negotiate cards and since I couldn't secure the solo win, we negotiated to win together. It was a long game and after trying to mess each other up with the loser/mirror craziness, our brain's needed some recovery. Sadly, the Reincarnator being left behind put a Quash card in play cancelling our winning deal and throwing three of our ships each into the warp. He'd just reincarnated as the Oracle (who forces us to play our cards face up) effectively limiting our ability to use our own strengths as efficiently due to the lack of hiding our card choices. With the power in hand and his turn finally up, he wipes out one each of our colonies and snatches the victory from our hands clutching a solo win and ruling the galaxy alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God, I love this game. Even with only three players, it can produce some excellent results like this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a game having Loser, Mirror and Calculator with a group of nuclear physicists. They loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a perfect storm, few games can generate such situations. Most of the storms the may are are big to massive...but Cosmic makes for perfect ones every now and then. Makes the game great.

Analogy stretched too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Olotka
United States
Centerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you for posting that great finale! I am a big fan of the 3 player Cosmic game. Many players miss out on the excellent microcosm created with just 3 players. The back and fort is intense. The aliens bounce off one another and you really get to know your alien.

I'm not disparaging larger games, but offering the opinion that players are missing out by dissing the three player. Its almost like COsmic on steroids, because it is very intense. I think we will mock up a little showcase of it for the Cosmic Facebook page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You win this time, LOSER! *shakes fist*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game as a 3er several times with my kids. They are 14 and 11. They enjoy the social interaction, the deception and being able to mess with their dad.

The Mirror and the Loser together in the same game, oh no!

Super stuff,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.