$20.00
$60.00
Kevin Harris
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The hospital's damaged, but at least the diesel generator is functioning. Survivors are starting to stream in. Keep the hospital running until everyone has been treated…or it collapses!

After the Disaster: Triage

Submitted to the 2016 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

Components
* A standard 52-card poker or bridge deck
* Six 6-sided dice

Approximate Playing Time
<15 minutes

Competition Categories
* Best Game by a New Solo Designer
* Most Innovative Mechanic
* Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray
* Best Rule Book
* Volunteer Prize
* Best Push Your Luck/Survival Game
* Best Traditional Card, Tarot, or Decktet Game

I would like volunteers to be assigned to my game if needed.

Files
Rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on getting the game in! Read the rules this morning and will give it a shot later in the day I hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Harris
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks, and good luck! I don't know how strict they are about deadlines, though---the rules mention July 31, 11:59pm CST as the deadline. But it's still fun to make games either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about scavenge, once you scavenge successfully through the value of the card, it goes below the diesel card and fills it up to 10 again or that just becomes the new fuel once the ten runs out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got in a play and I must say that for being a game using just playing cards the mechanics really bring through the theme to me. I am still unsure about the scavenge mechanic but it was a fun play session reguardless. I'll play it more once I get the official ruling on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Harris
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Your second thought is correct: After scavenging the diesel, it becomes the new fuel when the 10 runs out. Thanks for trying it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
The Battle of Agincourt and the Death of Chivalry
badge
Tastes of Siege is my new game for the Children's Game Design Contest
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tectorum wrote:
Your second thought is correct: After scavenging the diesel, it becomes the new fuel when the 10 runs out. Thanks for trying it out!

Thanks! That is the way I played it so glad my reading was correct! I will play this again tonight likely now that I am completely clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Harris
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
chansen2794 wrote:
Welcome to the contest!

Thank you for understanding my confusion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see that you made it, and great to see another traditional card game.

I'll definitely try and give it a play soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in another full game with the great score of 4! A few thoughts below:

- I still think the theme comes through well considering it's a deck of cards and dice.
- nice mechanic of moving the dice down the pips for the hospital and diesel and while it can be tricky at times keeping the dice in place I still think it works well.
- The tension on how to use the four AP is nice. Enough to feel not completely helpless but certainly never enough to do everything.
- it almost reminds me of a States of Siege game of sorts. Different areas of pressure that I am trying to juggle.

-I almost wish the hearts did something, they are a nice "break" but I would think Hope might allow for something positive at times. Maybe not all the heart cards but I wonder if a few could provide a positive boost. An extra AP or a free healing point as sparks of extra productivity.

Hope to have more thoughts as I play a bit more this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Harris
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for your continued feedback and play---I appreciate reading your thoughts as you complete more play sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I've played After the Disaster: Triage three times now. My scores were 3, 6 and 3. I used the card pips to keep track of diesel and structure only on my first game, then I switched to dice pips which I think are better to read and handle.

What I did like about the game:
- The rules are clear and complete and the turn example at the end makes it easy to learn.
- Most of the time the player has the dilemma that he just doesn't have enough action points to do everything he wants to, which supports the theme and keeps up the tension.
- Gameplay is quick enough that you can play it two or three times in a row even in a shorter timeframe.

What I didn't like:
- The patients are very unequal, but all are worth the same amount of victory points. The kings are much harder to heal and jacks will hurt you if they get outside, so there is an obvious priority on who to heal first and who to let die outside if you can't help everyone. I'd prefer it if there would be a tougher choice on who to admit into a bed, either by giving the different patients different vp scores or by balancing their abilities some more (for example the harder-to-heal kings could damage the hospital once when they get outside, but then they wait, while the easy-to-heal jacks just die if they aren't admitted immediately).
- The theme seems a bit odd - if a hospital would be damaged so badly that it might collapse, it would be evacuated immediately and no new patients would be admitted. Maybe you'd like to consider retheming the game? For example the player could be in control of a firefighter team trying to safe people from a burning house - diamonds could be quenching water tanks, injuries could be blocking rubble, clubs could be partial cave-ins and so on.

Overall I think the game is fun, entertaining and easy to learn, but it could still be improved some with a bit more development.

Thanks for creating this game and good luck on the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried your game out today, it's quite enjoyable.
I find myself in agreement with the comments above. I'm going to try out the idea of using 2 dice to track diesel, salvage, and structure.
I also agree that it may work better to have different VP's for different patient types (both saved and discarded).
Also, giving the hearts some positive value would be nice (healing patients or repairing the structure perhaps).
I think the triage theme works, but the firefighter idea is an interesting one. You may also want to consider a rescuing trapped miners from a collapsing mine.
It's unfortunate that your game made it into the contest at the deadline after which no changes can be made.

Good luck with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Harris
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thank you both for playing and for the feedback! You're right that I didn't quite communicate the theme well---I was aiming for something closer to the whole city suffering a disaster, and the hospital trying to make do until supplies come since there's no where else to send patients.

Out of curiosity, did either of you make it through the deck? Or did the hospital collapse midway through playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have a collapse. Since I knew beforehand how much damage there is in the deck, I knew how much AP I had to spend over the course of the game to avoid a collapse (and I didn't get additional damage from jacks, because I always admitted them immediately). This might not always work, but I think the probability is high that you can avoid a collapse by doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Harris
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desmond Meraz
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the rules disappeared. Is there a current link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.