Hide
4 Posts

Helios» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sharing city board -- a worker-placement-style variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panu Trivej
msg tools
There is this idea going around about increasing players' interaction by having us all share one city board, and only a certain number of players are allowed to build a specific structure. (Use Carcassonne meeples perhaps to indicate who builds which.)

Has anyone ever tried this? Does it change the game too much? My experience of the game is too limited to comment.

I am thinking about allowing everyone to build as usual, but to build an already-built structure, you just have to pay more resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like underrated Helios a lot and have played it quite often. But like you say there is no real interactivity. I like your ideas and I think it might work that way.

Either say...

1) only 1 (or 2) person(s) less than players is/are allowed to build a building to make it a race.

Or

2) the later you build a building the more extra resources you have to pay. For example: if you are the 2nd person to build a specific building, you have to pay +1 resource. The third person has to pay +2 resources. However, just like with the temples you will receive +1/+2 Mana if you paid extra resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panu Trivej
msg tools
Two monthes later and with more than 10 games played, now I am in a position to declare this is a terrible idea. I like the game alright, but the resources are generally so tight that having to pay more to build on a city board is just too punishing.

The player interaction is alright though, since you only have a limited set of land tile available each round. Trying to grab the needed tile before your opponent is enough of an interaction.

I however use another variant with character drafting. It works like a charm. I will post more on this later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanco H
Belgium
Brecht
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you tell us about the character drafting?

The worker placement idea for the buildings I also still like a lot. Without the part you can pay extra to build the building. I would suggest if the other player built it, it can't be built by you.
Did you try this? What is good or bad about it?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.