Dixit» Forums » Rules

Subject: why do you get 0 points if everyone guesses your card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cool pontiac
United States
California
flag msg tools
im trying to understand the logic of this rule.

if noone guesses your card. it makes sense that you get 0 points because you gave a crappy clue

BUT IF EVERYONE guesses your card. why should you get 0 points for giving an awesome clue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJennings
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To make the game fun and challenging. It's easy to give a clue that will allow everyone to guess your card. It's more interesting and difficult to give a clue that some will get but others will not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Mason
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The card with two snails fighting each other with swords" is not a great clue, but everyone will get it. Even a simple clue like "swords" is not hard to come up with, especially if you know the cards.

Rather than reward exact clues, this game rewards vague clues, where some, but not all players get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpontiac wrote:

if noone guesses your card. it makes sense that you get 0 points because you gave a crappy clue

BUT IF EVERYONE guesses your card. why should you get 0 points for giving an awesome clue?

An awesome clue is mysterious but only successful for some. There's challenge there. There is no challenge in saying "mine is a sad clown in a spot light" or "little boy and teddy bear back to back". That's just easy and everyone gets it right. The challenge is to throw some people off but not confuse everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mb
coolpontiac wrote:

Because then EVERY clue would just literally describe the card.

"two ants on a stack of coins", "man with umbrella climbing stairs" "kid on horse about to cross rainbow bridge"

And every game would end in a tie. With every clue scoring max points for everyone.

Surely you understand why that would be a sucky game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
coolpontiac wrote:

Because then EVERY clue would just literally describe the card.

Pretty much this. Dixit without the "0 points for everyone guessing the card" would be awful. The challenge comes in giving clues that some, but not all, will guess.

In addition, it's also terrible play. If you give an easy clue, you're giving everyone else points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt matt
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpontiac wrote:

If everyone guessed your card than the clue was not awesome . It is awesome when the fewest amount of players get it so you score 3 points and those few score 3 points.

You get penalized if you make your clue to easy so ppl are more carefull about their clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cool pontiac
United States
California
flag msg tools
thanks all for explaining! that makes alota cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
kelann08 wrote:
"little boy and teddy bear back to back"

I always thought it was a girl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
coolpontiac wrote:
thanks all for explaining! that makes alota cents

and dollars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
"little boy and teddy bear back to back"

I always thought it was a girl.

So that's why nobody ever picked your card when you were the clue-giver!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura, just Laura
United States
Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. How about 1 or 1/2 point if everyone got yours right, to slightly reward you for being clever, and 0 if no one got yours.
I feel your pain.

Has anyone ever tried rewarding clue giver with 1 or 1/2 point if all players guessed correctly, to slightly reward you for not sucking yuk, and 0 if yours was so bad no one got it?

Right now there's no motivation to err on the side of interesting.

Incidentally, can anyone point me toward some cards the right size to use as blanks to create new cards in Dixits (and other games)? Ideal would be the less glossy kind to make it easier. However, glossy with say markers or acrylic would look super.

Apropos of nothing at all, I fondly remember sitting down to Dixit with a group of smart people (of course ) at BGG.con and the clue was "Aristophanes". All people chose the card with a frog. Elsewhere I tried it and no one got it. I'm not sure what that goes to show.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LauraTheLabRabbit wrote:
I feel your pain.

Has anyone ever tried rewarding clue giver with 1 or 1/2 point if all players guessed correctly, to slightly reward you for not sucking yuk, and 0 if yours was so bad no one got it?

On the contrary, there is nothing to reward if everyone guessed correctly. How hard is it to give a clue that would get everyone to guess your card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.