Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I have been playing the app version for a few weeks and finally picked up the actual game. One thing I noticed is in the app pick off chooses for you by picking the most advanced base runner. But no where in the actual rule book does it say to do that. So I compared the two rule books and can't figure out which is correct?

Pick off: do I choose who ever I want or do I just remove the most advanced base runner like the app says??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bockelman
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose, just like you choose which hit to cancel if you are using a glove on a multi-hit card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting choice for the app then. It chooses for pick offs and gloves. Would be nice if it let player decide like the actual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in most cases you would always choose to pick off the runner that is furthest advanced, just like in real baseball.

And with glove you would always choose to stop the biggest hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
iselin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time that I can think of where you would not want to pick off the lead runner is when a slow runner is on second and a fast runner is on first and you have a double play card to play later. You could possibly pick off the fast runner now and get the slow runner later. You would also have to take into account whether your opponent has a clutch card, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other times when you might want to are around clutch, if you don't want to leave a man on second or third after the opponent's hits resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules for the board game are that you choose both for Pick Off (the base runner to remove) and for Glove (the threatened hit to remove).

On the App, it internalizes this decision to pick for you. As others have noted, there are very rare cases where this will make a difference.

Go Wiffle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.