Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Insert [+] Custom [+] Core [+] Foam [+] Scythe [+] [View All]
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
My main complaints with the status quo storage:

1. It's a jumbled mess. Even if everything has a "place," it doesn't look like it.

2. Cards in bags...no thanks.

3. Board at the bottom of the box. This is my BIGGEST gripe. The board is the first thing I want on the table, but I have to pull everything out to get to it.

I try designing inserts to maximize set-up/take-down efficiency, which is why you don't see extra plastic tubs or individual trays. To me, simple baggies work well for this.

(Faction mats go under the player mats. Unless you lay cards flat, they can only fit along the box edge.)

(Love having the board on top!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work Bryan!
Can you please share more detailed photos of foam insert(s)? I want to do it too. You have standard KS edition or some with extra resources, metal coins etc? Does board expansion fits there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Sherman
United States
Neenah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in making more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton Brown
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in making more, let me know and I'll gladly hire you to do so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Scott
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
Awesome work Bryan!
Can you please share more detailed photos of foam insert(s)? I want to do it too. You have standard KS edition or some with extra resources, metal coins etc? Does board expansion fits there?

Following this thread for answers to these questions. Even if it turns out I can't use it, that insert is gorgeous and ingenious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you allocate space for the upcoming expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the compliments guys. I can post more details this evening.

Quick answers:
Collectors edition (fits everything that comes with it).
The expansion won't fit with my design. I doubt it would fit with any design unless you get rid of the plastic trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olejnicak
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribing to this thread. Eager to make some inserts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work Byran. You should a think of also sharing on this geeklist.

Foam core insert modifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any intro articles on which products to use, how to cut them, and best practices in creating them, fitting them to game components and boxes, and fixing them so things don't waggle around?

I really like the idea of a re-design so the map is on top. But I have never tried making one before, need to try baby steps first.

EDIT: answering my own question, there is a tutorial series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I am impressed. Fantastic design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thats got me intrigued. I do have some foam core just lying around not being used....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the bottom red piece isn't 5mm foam core?

Also not sure why the divider above the combat wheels is L shaped. Could I extend these the two dividers on either side of the Combat Wheels all the way to the miniature box to provider extra map board support, or is that overkill?

EDIT: Yes, the red is not 5mm foamcore. If you stack the game board, the expansion board, the miniature box, the player boards, and the faction mats... you only have 3mm left in the height of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
To answer some questions:
I enjoy making inserts, but I'm SO slow at it. I can't justify putting in more late hours to make another one right now, even if getting paid. But I'm really flattered at the offer.

Yes, the red piece is a card stock, not foam core. No room for foam core under the mats. You do need to glue something to the bottom of the foam core to keep the bottom mat from accidently slipping under the insert. The bottom layer is 2 sheets thick, and the top layer is very close to 3 sheets thick.

I had some reason for making the top divider l-shaped...but it doesn't really matter. You could extend one all the way, but make sure the bottom one is left open to the bottom so you can get the resource/coin boxes out easily.

FYI, when I made the card holders, I forgot to leave room for the riverwalk and quickstart reference cards. I'm keeping them underneath the resources. It would be a very tight fit to add those in too if you wanted to use a 5-mm foam core divider.

Last note, on the card holders, I used three sheets under the encounter/factory cards (horizontal) and combat/building bonus cards (vertical). There are 6 sheets under the objective/automa cards. I left this exposed in my design, but in hindsight I should have used a single wall on the face and kept the raised bottom internal only
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dunlap
United States
New Braunfels
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'll build one for you. $30 shipping included. My build includes room for the expansion.

Thanks to John Cobian for the specs and instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gilbert
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery, so prepare to be flattered!

Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.