Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: im thinking of getting a ship expansion. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Meech
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of getting a ship expansion which should I get? I don't know which I should get the artful dodger, the Esmerelda, or jetwash pls help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rhys
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what your playstyle is - the Artful Dodger is more geared to Crime jobs, being faster but with a smaller hold. The Esmeralda is good for transporting passengers and fugitives, being immune to the Alliance arresting fugitives. The Jetwash is ideal for getting places fast, being able to spend parts to get Pilot, and with upgrades that can get you across the verse in one go, but you do have to discard them to do that.

My personal favourite, having all of them, is the Jetwash. I love having the option to scream right across the verse to pip people to the post for big goals, but timing it right is essential, otherwise you have to go shopping in order to do it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all fun, but the Artful Dodger is by far the friendliest ship to play among those three. Either the Jetwash or the Esmeralda introduced the concept of purchasing your ship during set-up. Essentially, you begin with $12,000.00 and purchase whichever ship you choose from that chunk of starting cash, and purchase your desired amount of starting fuel and parts as well. You actually choose a leader or a ship in order, and then the selection process snakes back through the players to select the other. You pay for your ship the instant you select it. It's found on a set up card called "The Browncoat Way." It's the only way we play anymore. And doing definitely makes selecting a ship like one of the base fireflies similarly attractive as selecting the Dodger, as the latter is more expensive, granting you less starting cash.

I'd personally recommend purchasing the Dodger first, but incorporating this↑ set up when playing with it. Without having to essentially pay for that starting advantage, or without a house rule that beefs up the base fireflies a bit in order to be more competitive, the Artful Dodger bestows a very strong advantage to whomever is lucky enough to grab it first. The same is essentially True for the Jetwash or Esmeralda without this↑ set up.

...unfortunately, the Walden suffers under this↑ set-up, due to being outclassed by every other ship already, and being rather expensive for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
I agree that Artful Dodger's a great starter ship pack, but unfortunately it's gotten very hard to find a copy. Unless you have one lined up already, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I'm pretty sure it's the Jetwash that comes with The Browncoat Way, and I'd say to go for it for that if nothing else. It's such a useful setup rule; if you're not going to buy it yet, then you should at least read through it online so you can implement the ship-purchasing rules anyway.

You didn't mention which expansions you already have, but if you don't have Pirates and Bounty Hunters you might want to consider getting it instead. You get two ships for only a little more than the price of a ship pack, and personally I like that it adds some diversity rather than just being a couple more Fireflies. That being said, the Interceptor has a very unique playstyle and the Walden's a bit underpowered, especially without Kalidasa. So if you're set on a ship pack I'd say the Jetwash; it's easy enough to find and sees more play than the Esmeralda in my games, especially if you count The Browncoat Way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
1337salty wrote:
I agree that Artful Dodger's a great starter ship pack, but unfortunately it's gotten very hard to find a copy. Unless you have one lined up already, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Of course, if you've got some made PNP skills...
Artful Dodger: I need the Card, You need the Mini -- let's trade! (GTM promo ship)
and
Artful Dodger engine card
...all you need :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.