GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,824 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Deep Space D-6» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Halcyon & Ag-8, once each rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Took 1 hour with the Halcyon. I got to the end. A meteoroid took down the shields. 6 hull versus 7 damage meant I died.

If a command die had done shields instead of tactical, I would have won. I know because I reset & finished it that way. My speedy hour playtime lead to my mental mistake.

It was also close at one point with 5 ships, all but 1 crew in the infirmary, and rolling for about 3 turns before all were out of the infirmary and attacking again.

This ship feels closest so far to a difficult but half-the-time victory.

Took about an hour and a half with the AG-8. I used the easy infirmary, as I like doing. I made it about halfway through the threat deck.

I had a strategy of using 2 tactical drones and an engineering drone for 4 damage and 2 repair every turn. Unfortunately, Invaders + Friendly Fire meant no more drones and a full infirmary. By the time I could get 2 more drones out, I had 4 ships on me with only 3 hull left, and a die roll killed me.

It is not clear if dice sent to the infirmary can be from Returned or drones. I played no and yes. It is not clear if drones are active on the turn constructed. I played no. Therefore, needing time to get engineering to put out new drones, enemies built up unavoidably. If infirmary dice can NOT come from drones, then the question arises as to what to do when there is no other place to pull them from. I assume pulling them from scanning is right out.

I am not a fan of this ship. I consider it inflexible, or at the least, the least flexible.

Also, when your dice are doing their job as drones, you as the player don't have a lot to do. Then if you have to rebuild multiple drones, you are stuck more helpless than any other ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1608652/ag-8-i-dont-get-it answers some of my AG-8 questions. But I still find it to be a cripplingly inflexible ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting. AG-8 is one of my favorites exactly because it's so different and because of the lock in. The differenceness (no, that's likely not a word ) gives variation and force me to think very differently about my strategy, which is something that I love and which adds longevity to the game for me.

The lock in of dice means that I'm forced to do more long-term planning than when playing the other ships, which I also think is nice.

Guess it's a case of different strokes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can accept that different people have different opinions and tastes. But what I want to know is how, using the AG-8, you survive events that send units to the infirmary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
I can accept that different people have different opinions and tastes. But what I want to know is how, using the AG-8, you survive events that send units to the infirmary.

AG-8 is a deceptive bugger . It has four drones and it seems so obvious to use them all, but it's a trap, because doing so leaves you extremely vulnerable to having crew sent to the infirmary.

Therefore I almost always stick to having three drones, which is actually enough to handle the threats the game throws at you and the risk of being caught in the infirmary trap is lowered to a manageable level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Which 3 drones do you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Which 3 drones do you use?

That depends on the situation, but it's too long ago that I played, so I can't remember, which one I used the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.