Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

A Distant Plain» Forums » General

Subject: Making a choice between ADP and Falling Sky rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Done playin'... Logan... done playin'...
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides theme: what considerations should I make, when I have to make the choice which to buy? I only have budget for one and thematically both are on par.

If I consider the following important. Could you help me out with my choice?

* Play length? Which one plays faster?
* Rules complexity? Is one rule set more complex to learn than the other?
* Chrome? Which one has the most of it? And what sort?
* Balance? Does each side have a good chance of winning in each game or is one faction lopsided? With "equal" chance I'm happy with anywhere from 15%-35% wins per side.
* Does it "feel" like you are playing in Roman time politicizing against the Celts or vice versa? Does each faction have enough identity? I had full suspension of disbelief when playing ADP. Played the Warlords and it felt like I was playing a druglord. Even in my specials. Would be nice to know that FS has that too.

Thanks for the feedback

(Edit: placed the above comments in my original post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer :I have played ADP many times but not FS which I have only read about.

ADP is a longer and bigger (map wise) game, while FS is both smaller and faster to play.
ADP is more complex in terms of rules and all the factions have some very interesting inter-woven relations with each other.
FS is more straight up fighting to control areas (compared to ADP)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Brian, I have played ADP twice and it seems longer and heavier than FS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the combat rules in FS very weird. (Disclaimer: 1 play)
That said, I own ADP. So you should get FS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
I found the combat rules in FS very weird. (Disclaimer: 1 play)
That said, I own ADP. So you should get FS.

If our next theme is Rome; I might devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ludwig

Remetschwil
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you cannot decide, flip a coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played and/or do you own any other COIN games?

If this will be your first purchase of the series, I would suggest going with ADP. ADP is a more "traditional" or OG COIN game.

If you're familiar with and/or own other COIN titles, then I would lean towards FS as it has some interesting and fun nuances that make it a unique experience while still being very COIN.

But both are outstanding (I own all COIN games) and FS is quickly reaching ADP levels of favored status with me so, IMO, you can't go wrong with either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
Have you played and/or do you own any other COIN games?

I've played ADP once. FS not.

If I consider the following important. Could you help me out with my choice?

* Play length? Which one plays faster?
* Rules complexity? Is one rule set more complex to learn than the other?
* Chrome? Which one has the most of it? And what sort?
* Balance? Does each side have a good chance of winning in each game or is one faction lopsided? With "equal" chance I'm happy with anywhere from 15%-35% wins per side.
* Does it "feel" like you are playing in Roman time politicizing against the Celts or vice versa? Does each faction have enough identity? I had full suspension of disbelief when playing ADP. Played the Warlords and it felt like I was playing a druglord. Even in my specials. Would be nice to know that FS has that too.

Care to comment?

Thanks

Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Play length - both have differing length scenarios but my experience has been that FS plays a bit longer - but that is probably influenced by me being more familiar with ADP.

2. Rules complexity - Because there are some new and unique mechanics in FS, I would lean towards saying FS is more complex but not to the point that I found them difficult to grasp. All of the four "original" COIN games have unique characteristics but overall are pretty similar. FS and LoD added new mechanics that, in my opinion, expanded the appeal of the COIN series but there were many who found them overly complicated.

3. Chrome - they're both produced at the high standards that we've come to expect from the COIN series and GMT. The one complaint I've heard about FS is the faction sheets are separate from the board - a first for the series. I don't have any problems with them but others felt they add clutter to the table and were too thin (the same stock as the player aid sheets). The maps for both games are, as usual, beautiful but FS's map is of a different design than the OG COIN games. Like Liberty or Death's beautiful map, FS's is very period-centric in style and design. Also, as mentioned above, it , like Cuba Libre, is 17x22 so smaller than ADP's 22x34. Again, both are beautiful maps.

4. Balance - I usually play all factions myself and I've found both games to be very well balanced. Each faction has advantages and paths to victory that, if played to their strengths, gives the player a chance.

5. Does it "feel" you're playing in Roman time - Well, this is my first real foray into the era (one of the reasons I was attracted to the theme) so, for me, it definitely has the "feel" of the period (what little I know so far). I mean, it feels different than the other titles and after reading up about the era being portrayed, it definitely seems to capture the spirit of the motivations and objectives of each faction (my favorite faction so far is the Romans HAIL CAESAR!).

Edited to include more detail on FS's map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth, I've found COIN to be at its best in settings long settled by history. Cuba Libre convinced me of this.

I'm working my way through Falling Sky now and find it no more complex than A Distant Plain. To me FS offers fewer moving bits and easier to fathom victory conditions. Also as opposed to ADP it doesn't cater for Lines of Communication. Interestingly, it does invoke a large amount of faction negotiation - can my side retreat into yours or trace supply through it etc? Very cool. FS also includes a very active independent 5th faction in Germania that can impact all others.

I'm convinced FS is going to provide wide immersion. Both games offer the same sized card deck and feature Volko's same rules writing style. Get used to that, not hard, and you're in

As for chrome and period feel, yes Falling Sky offers it in droves. Leaders with different capabilities, Caesar and Vercingetorix effects, different available force levels per faction, ability to encroach on other factions' regions, leaderless Aedui, resource-less Germania, impact of Britannia and the Rhenus, subjugation, allies, and temporary alliances (through negotiation), Arverni Betrayal (Entreating), Aedui Trade, Belgic mercenary Enlistment, Legion effects, die rolls for loses or absorption of battle damage, harassment, counterattacks, ambushes. It goes on.

And IMO its smaller map is just gorgeous. Note separate faction holding cards in this one make the game very easy to position around a gaming group. For the solo player, like ADP (unlike Fire in the Lake and Liberty or Death), everything faces you.

One could say that ADP now offers a game decided by history but whether as William Shirer would say, is history still too close to its events? That's for the gamer to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.