Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The red side of the auctioneer reads:
Quote:
Variant: The auctioneer immediately takes the 3-gun ammo chip and
proceeds to auction off the ammo. As before, players can continue to
raise their bids during the auction until only one high bidder remains.
The winner does not need to place a cowboy on the ammo square, but
instead pays the auction amount directly to the auctioneer and takes
the 3-gun chip. If the auctioneer is the winner, he pays nothing. Cash
limit : $20

If this right, that when I'm the winner with the aucitoneer I don't have to pay anything or is there a connection with the last sentence and this just means that you don't pay to another player.
I assume the first one, but what keeps me from bidding all my money as the aucitoneer? I can't lose anything. Maybe I don't get it or this is the intended purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nico,

I read it like you. If you are running the auction, you can bid everything you own, and you get the money.

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Johnson
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is still an auction, so you need to have the amount even if you don't pay it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is, either you get the three-gun chip, or you get the money someone is willing to pay for the three-gun chip. While there is no disincentive for bidding all your money as the auctioneer, the role is balanced by its late spot in the turn order and its low ($20) money cap. It's very useful in the right circumstance, but in my games, there's often a better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, guaranteeing yourself the 3-gun chip is one possible use for the Auctioneer's ability. However, since the game is largely about making money and converting that money into victory points, I would say a better use is to get another player to pay you as much as possible for the chip. So really, the rule is there to allow you to reject bids as being too low. This of it not so much as "I bid $10", rather it's "I'm keeping it unless someone bids more than $10". Then the other players can keep bidding until you reach a price you can't refuse, or they drop out and stick you with the chip but no cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Buch
Germany
Osburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using this threat to ask another question referring to the auctioneer, this time the jellow side.
The two parcels need to be empty? German rulebook says only two unsold parcels. When I read this I understand, it could also be a parcel with a house or mountain?

Thanks for answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules say, "2 parcels which belong to no player."

The original rules from Carson City: Gold & Guns said the same thing.

Slightly confusing may be the statement at the end: "If nobody makes a bid, the parcels remain unoccupied."

This suggests that perhaps parcels are eligible only if they are truly empty (unoccupied).

But I think that this is rather a mistranslation from the original French, which was, "les terrains restent sans propriétaire."

This means "without owner" and not "empty."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the wording in the rulebook is a bit confusing here. Interesting note about the French that helps clarify, I think.

I've always played it that the parcels could have an unowned house or mountain on them, just as with the Settler's yellow side. It often makes the auctions more interesting and offers more strategic possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
French language rules, German language rules, English language rules, etc. Before definitively answering this, the first question for me becomes, what is the original language the rules were written in?

My thought is, if the rules were originally written in English, I would have a hard time "trusting" a translation from another language. Ever read furniture assembly instructions from some products made and printed in China?

So what is the original language for CC?

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavier Georges is from Belgium and Quined Games is from the Netherlands. So french maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.