Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Different Versions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Leding
Germany
Rhauderfehn
flag msg tools
I wish I had a copy of this game! I love dinosaurs and I also love deckbuilding games. But I missed the KS and from time to time I look for offers. But what to look for? There is this beautiful long box with the blue sky, the black box called "Exotix Predators" - also as a limited Edition? - und now I see there is a 2nd Edition. What is The differenz between the 1st and teh 2nd Editon? Can anybody put a little light in there for me? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two versions. Exotic Predators (Black Box) and 2nd Ed (LOnger blue box). Go for 2nd ed if you play in a group, go for Exotic PRedators if you play solo. There was an option to upgrade EP to 2nd ed during the kickstarter, but that turned out to be BS, we who "upgraded" will be somewhere inbetween the two versions. We hope to get the full 2nd ed experience through pnp sometime this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Why is the first ed. better for solo?

Evil_X wrote:
There are two versions. Exotic Predators (Black Box) and 2nd Ed (LOnger blue box). Go for 2nd ed if you play in a group, go for Exotic PRedators if you play solo. There was an option to upgrade EP to 2nd ed during the kickstarter, but that turned out to be BS, we who "upgraded" will be somewhere inbetween the two versions. We hope to get the full 2nd ed experience through pnp sometime this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because 2nd ed uses the same rules but it lacks the two exclusive dinosaurs decks that are included in EP ed. So EP gives you more choices as a solo player. 2nd ed gives us new rules and new cards for pvp combat wich lets players interract, that was almost nonexistent in EP ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leding
Germany
Rhauderfehn
flag msg tools
Thanks for helping. So the black box is right for me as a solo player. Now I only have to find an offer...

By the way: why is it so hard to find a copy of this game? I can only find very good critics about the game. And I have never seen a European retailer. So it makes it very expensive to order from the States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Is there anything special, solo wise, about the Quetzalcoatlus and Sarcosuchus decks?

Evil_X wrote:
Because 2nd ed uses the same rules but it lacks the two exclusive dinosaurs decks that are included in EP ed. So EP gives you more choices as a solo player. 2nd ed gives us new rules and new cards for pvp combat wich lets players interract, that was almost nonexistent in EP ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Philibert is yhe only EU retailers who has them as far as I know. But the price is ridiculous.

Lordofthepurple wrote:
Thanks for helping. So the black box is right for me as a solo player. Now I only have to find an offer...

By the way: why is it so hard to find a copy of this game? I can only find very good critics about the game. And I have never seen a European retailer. So it makes it very expensive to order from the States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leding
Germany
Rhauderfehn
flag msg tools
Whow! That`s great! They really have one - it`s the large blue box, but I think it doesn`t matter for solo play, right?

But what do you mean with "the price ist ridiculous"???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Lordofthepurple wrote:
Whow! That`s great! They really have one - it`s the large blue box, but I think it doesn`t matter for solo play, right?

But what do you mean with "the price ist ridiculous"???

Their price is practically the same as ordering from the us, shipping included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leding
Germany
Rhauderfehn
flag msg tools
Really? And what about the custom duties?

To say it in a short way: thak you very much for your help. I will order from philibert and guess I will be lucky for a long time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Is there anything special, solo wise, about the Quetzalcoatlus and Sarcosuchus decks?

There is nothing special about the two extra decks in the EP version of Apex. They just give you a total of 9 dinosaurs to play as instead of the 7 in the 2nd ed. They are just more play options. They are also classified as "Brutal" on the difficulty to play/master rating level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Michael
You may also want to consider picking up any of the expansion decks, except stomping grounds, to add another dinosaur choice for your solo play. They were designed for 2nd ed play but can be played 1st Ed style if you remove the "Alpha" play related cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil_X wrote:
Go for 2nd ed if you play in a group, go for Exotic PRedators if you play solo.

I would disagree. If you are buying for the first time, go with the second edition all the way regardless of player count. There are so many corrections(errata) and improvements with numerous cards (Acute Alertness, Dynamic Vitality, much improved rule book,etc.), it really makes for a better game.

If you are a completionist, you will want the 1st edition (exotic predators) for the 2 limited edition dinos and a number of cards exclusive to that print run (hunt cards, prey, a boss, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
Evil_X wrote:
Go for 2nd ed if you play in a group, go for Exotic PRedators if you play solo.

I would disagree. If you are buying for the first time, go with the second edition all the way regardless of player count. There are so many corrections(errata) and improvements with numerous cards (Acute Alertness, Dynamic Vitality, much improved rule book,etc.), it really makes for a better game.

If you are a completionist, you will want the 1st edition (exotic predators) for the 2 limited edition dinos and a number of cards exclusive to that print run (hunt cards, prey, a boss, etc.)

I actually agree with this sentiment for the same reasons listed. The only drawback is not having two Species (Sarcosuchus and Quetzecoatlus) and the Battle Royale for the final fight in 2nd Edition. Luckily, that last one is an easy fix: you simply employ the end game rules from Exotic Predators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you agree with my disagree, then we are in agreement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
The second edition has different rules in terms of PvP. The original had minimal direct actions against other players, the updated version removed the bosses for PvP and replaced it with direct combat between players.

I find the idea behind the game and the mechanics to be really great, but the PvP part of it never seemed interesting to me, so I found a copy of the original. I don't think it really matters very much, because v2 also comes with the bosses to use with solo play, so you could always use v2 with the original rules. I use v1 with the v2 solo rules, and it is a very enjoyable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leding
Germany
Rhauderfehn
flag msg tools
Yesterday my copy of AT arrived (What a quick delivery). Maybe the price was ridiculous. But after looking for so long time in vain its absolutely OK to me. Usually I am a collector and I must have every ever printed card of a game. But just to get the Exotic Predators limited edition add-on-decks or the stretch goals from the 2nd edition would be much to expensive so I leave the collecting right from the beginning.

I am really happy with my copy and can`t wait to start my first game. So thanks again for the hint with philibert!!

(Maybe you can make me change my mind. If someone want`s to offer me the add-ons for acceptable price - send me a pm modest)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are in for a real treat, congrats! Despite the questionable PvP (use 1st edition rules instead), copious amounts of luck (it's a card shuffling game), and rather tedious setup (use preset hunt decks), it still stands as one of my favorite deck builders, and probably one of my all time favorite solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leding
Germany
Rhauderfehn
flag msg tools
So just a quick reply after I played more than 10 times. It`s very simple: I really love this game!!! After I played 8 times I had the first victory. Wow! Playing other Deckbuilder solo (Thunderstone, Ascension, Alien...) I have a much better rate. But because of the missing challenge it`s not that "wow" to win those games. Playing Apex means that you cannot just collect a few cards and than the game almost plays by itself. No. Every playthrough ist different und you really have to find the right strategy to win. Absolutely great! And fighting the Boss-Battle is the total kick to me. I fought a boss with 4 Healthpoints and could only wound him with Fleshwounds. This gave me the real feeling of a fight, even all the Dungeoncrawlers are missing such a fight. You try to boost your hand, find the right cards, think you can hurt the boss and then comes a Severe Trauma. Arrggh. Battle continues... And if - after many bouts - you had the right strategy and the luck you need to kill the boss, hey you think you won a real battle. Man that`s great!!

This game got me and will stay on the table. And I only tried two Apex-Decks and only the easy-mode...

Only two things are not so well to me: the cards don`t fit for FFG-Standard-Sleeves (had to take the less quality squeaking Mayday-Sleeves) and the figure broke (and I don`t have any idea why).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gans
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Lordofthepurple wrote:
This game got me and will stay on the table. And I only tried two Apex-Decks and only the easy-mode...

Only two things are not so well to me: the cards don`t fit for FFG-Standard-Sleeves (had to take the less quality squeaking Mayday-Sleeves) and the figure broke (and I don`t have any idea why).

You've got hours of fun ahead of you! And you'll get lots better at play over time.

I'm surprised your cards aren't fitting in FFG Standard sleeves. All my Apex cards fit in them with room to spare. Are you sure you tried standard game size (the blue/clear package 2.5 x 3.5 inches)?

And yeah, the model didn't turn out so well. It breaks very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leding
Germany
Rhauderfehn
flag msg tools
Strangely my cards indeed don`t fit in FFG-Standard-Sleeves. Maybe different print runs. My box is a long blue box from 2015 with no date information in the barcode. Just tried again with another card but they dont fit. And I know the FFG-Standard-Sleevs so well because usually all my cards (as long as it fits) only get FFG-Sleeves. Must have bought thousands to the day (may not think about the money but the cards are thankful for that...)

But that does not matter. So glad with Apex. Can`t wait to play again, feel like a little child and those days are really way back. Last time I was so excited about a game was a few years ago when the LotR LCG came up. And believe me usually I hate losing. But with Apex every lost leads to ambition. And also still love Dinosaur and the art of Apex. This money was very useful spend!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.