Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wilky
Germany
Hilden
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just shot up the list of games to check out at Essen 2016, we need more info please tell us more, pictures, art, rule book, anything will do DD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark von Minden
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a solid bet that Richard Breese will post one of his excellent "explanation geeklists" as well as the rule book.

That said, I'm definitely interested in hearing more, including what the North American distribution will look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Salute is listed as a publisher, so I'd expect something similar to Keyflower's distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a couple of times in the last 18 months, but not recently. Key fans will be happy as it has familiar ties to previous games, but new things arrive, and I'm sure Richard will explain all in a Key presentation.

For me the key is in the hyphen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to hear the motivations for releasing the game and creating it. It appears to be a complete reskin of Keyflower. I almost could've copied and pasted the description. Believe me, I own and love Keyflower. I don't see the need for a reskin personally. Perhaps its for art or theming that appeals to a wider audience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
dylanbradshaw wrote:
...It appears to be a complete reskin of Keyflower...

I am glad I am not the only one who thought that from reading the description. Was hoping for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Alan How wrote:
For me the key in in the hyphen.

The hyphen intrigues me. Are you supposed to pause at that point? "Key to the City of London" might work better for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:
I'd be interested to hear the motivations for releasing the game and creating it. It appears to be a complete reskin of Keyflower. I almost could've copied and pasted the description. Believe me, I own and love Keyflower. I don't see the need for a reskin personally. Perhaps its for art or theming that appeals to a wider audience?

The principal reason for me was the strength of the connectors mechanic, which Richard and I were having great fun with, but which was sufficiently alien to Keyflower that we didn't think it'd work in an expansion.

Sebastian Bleasdale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah, can't wait to learn more about this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
Essen 2016 is looking a bleak experience with all the top games I'd been following now not making it until 2017. Then a ray of hope drops in with a Key game. $64,000 question, in the face of no images or detailed information, will it make the show? Because in the absence of any proper meat in this year's Essen sandwich, I'm strongly thinking about giving it a miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zheng
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Chinese geek and key fan, I'm looking forward to hearing more and hope the product can be on sale in a short time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mrkvm wrote:
It's a solid bet that Richard Breese will post one of his excellent "explanation geeklists" as well as the rule book.

I'll get something posted in the next few days. Just need to get the graphics to the printers first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Alan How wrote:

The hyphen intrigues me. Are you supposed to pause at that point? "Key to the City of London" might work better for me.

The hyphen is necessary, becaus if you say "Key to the City of London", that would refer to "the City of London", which is only one part of greater London, just like Westminster, Chelsea, Kensington,... So the hyphen is necessary to refer to the entirety of London.

Grammar aside, I'd like to know more about the game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Breese wrote:
mrkvm wrote:

I'll get something posted in the next few days. Just need to get the graphics to the printers first!

I'm so intrigued now... can't wait to get something to look at/read/admire and then speculate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Alan How wrote:

I think you're supposed to consider adding words like "- Paris" or "- New York" on the end instead of "- London"...

The connections addition is what makes this different enough to Keyflower for it not to be just a reskin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this is a rework of the train game that Richard Breese was working on or is that another game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
Are rules availiable? We really need them
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agzaroth wrote:
Thanks
I've just uploaded the English rules. So they should appear in the next 48 hours. Hope you enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Alan How wrote:

It is maybe going to be a series of games;

Key to the City - Lincoln
Key to the City - Coventry
Key to the City - Ely

Extensive localisation and marketing opportunities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:

It is maybe going to be a series of games;

Key to the City - Lincoln
Key to the City - Coventry
Key to the City - Ely

Ely!!!! I've seem bumpier snooker tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Breese wrote:
Agzaroth wrote:
Thanks
I've just uploaded the English rules. So they should appear in the next 48 hours. Hope you enjoy!

...and they are online
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, a very similar game. More streamlined, easier to introduce new players.

Keyflower's bidding mechanism is interesting enough that it may start a whole family of games using it, as it more or less only introduces a way of fair drafting and activation. Just like they did with Carcassonne.

In fact this year brings yet another re-implementation that is very close to its predecessor: Fields of Green, a sibling of Among the Stars.

The question remains, should Key to the City find its place in the Keyflower's owner's collection? Maybe, if you have spare place on your shelves. If you feel Keyflower is too complex, you may switch it for this one. If you don't want games simpler then Keyflower then probably try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this will not replace Keyflower, at least for me. The game is just a tad bit more streamlined (no production of green worker, no upgrade/transport tile to move ressources) so this will not be a great advantage I think. But I really like the Thame River (and the Set sail action, which is essentially a "I pass for good" action) replacing the bid on the Turn order tiles and the boats. This is really neat I think.

For the whole connectors thing, although the idea is good, I'm sure I'll find it fiddly to have to move all these (and potential Keyples) to upgrade (flip) my tiles. This was one of my major complain about Keyflower: The Farmers. There can be so much keyples, ressources and animeeples on tiles that it was not really elegant to upgrade them sometimes.

So for now it's not an insta-buy for me, but I will definitely seek to try it out before formulating a definitive opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.