DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Doom - Surely a Solo Option? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Being a huge fan of the PC game over several years I'm keen to get the new board game.
You would think that being Doom and honouring the legend that is Doom that there'd be a single player option. Although judging from the clear "2-4 players" quote on the FFG page I'm already doubting the possibilities.
How hard would it be to solo this game?
I know if it is like Descent that there's Redjak (plus the app now).
It is also early days so I'm assuming a lot of people are not certain on the rules for the game but any opinions/discussions would be awesome.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I hope they don't waste any R&D time on a solo option. There are enough of those out there already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to agree with OP here: a Doom game has a pretty straightforward AI to begin with, where monsters come as close as possible from the player to attack him (it is even explained in an in-game video in Doom 3 IIRC), so nothing that difficult to implement IMO...

I'll buy it immediately if there's a solo option in this one, I don't see why I should buy some sort of a remake of a game I already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole reason I got into board games was due to FFG's previous DOOM game. There was no solo option but I made one that satisfied my needs.

I'm getting this game no matter what, and inventing a solo option will be part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
It is simple for me : no solo = no buy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like stated above, the first version had no solo option. However, it wasn't hard to solo it as long as you played each side even.

The biggest problem were the cards. But that just took a little bit of a twisted nature to handle properly. (Think, as you are doing something...how could you screw yourself...and if the card is there...do it.)

I am sure this can be done the same, but I am most likely skipping this version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
The whole reason I got into board games was due to FFG's previous DOOM game. There was no solo option but I made one that satisfied my needs.

I'm getting this game no matter what, and inventing a solo option will be part of the fun.

Hell yeah! Doom still comes out and gets played. FFG needs to get back to the Kevin Wilson style of dungeon crawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gilbank
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is simply a reprint of the original 2002 version that was released its 1 vs many looks like they have made the marines a bit different and probably new scenarios to play through and updated tiles seems like they are also using the new demon designs from the newer game. But mechanics appear to be the same based on the 1 V many style and the dice they are showing are identical.

There will not be a solo option unless they make some major changes as 1 player has to control the demons (as it was in the old version) and they have said in this as such you would have to have at least 2 people to play. This just appears to be an update to the materials.

(Shameless plug)
I have a copy of this for sale in the marketplace if anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Solo gamers are in the tinniest of minorities. Most people game with others and I'm not the biggest fan of knowing that a designer spent time in an area most of the game's buyers will never use than in another.

But It's a shame they didn't do a full cooperative version, so I don't have to be the bad guy, yet again. I also hope they update the rules BIG TIME, because playing the baddie in Doom was a mindless task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Hell yeah! Doom still comes out and gets played. FFG needs to get back to the Kevin Wilson style of dungeon crawl.

Doom has its flaws. I'm curious about finding a way to cross the two versions so I can keep what I like from each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
broken clock wrote:

But It's a shame they didn't do a full cooperative version.

Yes, this was my thoughts after reading the first news article and why I started this thread. At this stage leaning on the no buy side of things but will keep my eye on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cranky_hobbit wrote:
broken clock wrote:

But It's a shame they didn't do a full cooperative version.

Yes, this was my thoughts after reading the first news article and why I started this thread. At this stage leaning on the no buy side of things but will keep my eye on it.

The good news here is--if there are rules for a fully co-operative version, that essentially means there will *also* be a fully soloable version (though you'll probably have to run multiple marines).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
There are enough of those out there already.

Not for me. I devour boardgames. I'm at the point in life where most of us have started families, moved further away, etc.

I play games almost every day. Every two weeks the group gets together for a game night, but that's what we can make time for. So it's pretty difficult for me to justify buying games that I can only play with a group, as that means the game won't get much play.

There's a market for games with solo modes and it will grow as more people who grew up when the boardgaming hobby as it is today was young, end up in similar life situations.

That said. Not all games need solo modes, and some are just poorly suited to it. If this new version justifies multiple expansions, I wouldn't be surprised to see a solo mode companion app.

Re: R&D time. If a game comes out with a multiplayer mode and a solo mode, and both are good, no R&D time was wasted and the game is more appealing to a wider audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mournful wrote:
corkysru wrote:
There are enough of those out there already.

Not for me. I devour boardgames. I'm at the point in life where most of us have started families, moved further away, etc.

I play games almost every day. Every two weeks the group gets together for a game night, but that's what we can make time for. So it's pretty difficult for me to justify buying games that I can only play with a group, as that means the game won't get much play.

There's a market for games with solo modes and it will grow as more people who grew up when the boardgaming hobby as it is today was young, end up in similar life situations.

That said. Not all games need solo modes, and some are just poorly suited to it. If this new version justifies multiple expansions, I wouldn't be surprised to see a solo mode companion app.

Re: R&D time. If a game comes out with a multiplayer mode and a solo mode, and both are good, no R&D time was wasted and the game is more appealing to a wider audience.

I fully agree here, and for exactly the same reasons...

And, again, making solo rules for such a game, where demons/monsters are pretty mindless, shouldn't be a problem for professional designers: if I have to design my own rules, I'll better design my own game.

But I'll wait and see if an expansion does that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
It is simple for me : no solo = no buy

Ditto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stevenson
Australia
Fortitude Valley
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the original and the expansion but will consider seriously about adding this to the collection (with about 40 others on the wish list LOL).

Solo/Co-op are a definite plus for me as well. If it doesn't have that option but looks like it can be accommodated then I generally keep an eye out for one of the fine people at BGG with more gaming nonce than I, to do and share.

I like playing with other gamers - more for the banter and social aspects than the mechanical aspects. It makes it at least enjoyable when I am beaten more than I will.....cry but I also like the availability and convenience of solo play.

I also have young boys that love a game, and dice chucking and miniatures etc but are too young to offer a challenge in competitive games but love working together in a co-op dungeon crawl or a thematic solo game.

This one will spike their interest for sure.

Cheers
Loc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like to have this game if it´s likely to have or will be made Solo-play rules for it. Would also be nice if it come rules for combining this with the old Doom game.
If not, it is very unlikely to be bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
Im wondering, if not solo, maybe two handed is an option. shame ffg have not put the rules pdf up yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodyCactus wrote:
Im wondering, if not solo, maybe two handed is an option. shame ffg have not put the rules pdf up yet

Rules are usually upped one week before release, or so. Before that, we have previews and articles to keep the hype up and slowly discover the game. Some more patience, and everything will be disclosed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If controlling the baddies is really pretty much a mindless task then I see no reason why it would not be soloable. (My Our split personality will help of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Personally I hope they don't waste any R&D time on a solo option. There are enough of those out there already.

It's hardly a waste of time to broaden your audience instead of ignoring a large portion of board gamers.

He said, "waste R&D time." You can broaden your audience, but it may be at the expense of the satisfaction of all players if solo playtesting takes away from quality testing the intended functionality.

Race for the Galaxy's first expansion introduces a solo option. A lot of players complained that as a direct result of this, the expansion barely offered any new cards to the mix. Certainly there are fewer cards than any of the other expansions. And for what end? The solo option is not very fun or very well balanced, which is a shock considering that the "intended" base game is meticulously balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.