Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
Have been away from squad leader for a while and although clear on most things I forgot this one.

In the defensive fire phase I'm sure you can only fire defensively at a unit that actually moved in your line of sight as opposed to one that is for instance sitting in the edge of a forest in your line of sight and range but did not move in the movement phase.
Am I right?.
THX all in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

Not exactly, I think you mixed two concepts.

You can fire either the enemy counter moved or not. But IF IT MOVED you must fire to it in a different hex from the starting one.

Let's see if someone else can confirm this or there are amendments in forums and / or FAQ.

I took the picture from 4th edition rules.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thank you so much missed that last part in the defensive fire principles.
I was annoyed as I thought I had played the whole scenario using the wrong rules but as it turns out I was playing it right.
It's right there all i had to do was open my eyes. Lol.
Still loving this game soo much.

Another situation came up also.
I had two units that wanted to attack the same unit in the defensive fire phase so logically I think the way to do it is to trace back the route the unit to be fired upon made and do the attacks in order of the firing time so if the unit moved 4 hexes and after the first hex movement is in the position I want to fire at them I go ahead with the attack and resolve damage/moral checks then if any are left alive and not demoralised continue the move as plotted?.

Seems a little unrealistic in that the remainder may not continue moving or may change there route but since defensive fire comes after movement I assume that's the way it is.?,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokerman wrote:
I had two units that wanted to attack the same unit in the defensive fire phase so logically I think the way to do it is to trace back the route the unit to be fired upon made and do the attacks in order of the firing time so if the unit moved 4 hexes and after the first hex movement is in the position I want to fire at them I go ahead with the attack and resolve damage/moral checks then if any are left alive and not demoralised continue the move as plotted?.

Seems a little unrealistic in that the remainder may not continue moving or may change there route but since defensive fire comes after movement I assume that's the way it is.?,

You're welcome.

Concerning the other question it seems that if the unit remains intact it must continue its original path. In the extensive Q&A file I've found this:

16. If a stack of units have been brought back to a hex for Defensive Fire and one squad breaks, can the other squads and/or leader take an alternate route after that hex than they originally took in the Movement Phase ?
A. No. {KM}

So it seems his destiny is written when it moved first.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
msg tools
mb
Worth noting, you can only move them forward on their movement path, so if you defensive fire on their fourth hex traversed, you can not move them back to their second hex traversed.

Also, Defensive Fire is conducted immediately on vehicles. This includes their exposed crew, passengers and infantry on foot moving with the AFV (32.51) (eventual infantry). You can not move those eventual passengers, CE crews and 32.51 infantry back, instead conduct fire immediately during movement.

When firing on a moving AFV, it's CE crew, passengers or 32.51 infantry, you must target either the AFV or the eventual infantry. If you target the AFV, the fire effects the AFV [TH/TK (33.1) or IM (36.1)] and the CE crew and passengers per 32.5, 36.13, Q&A 32.1, Q&A 34.

If you target the infantry, the fire effects the CE crew, passengers and 32.51 infantry and does not effect the AFV or non-AFV eventual infantry in the hex.

Think of the AFV and the infantry moving with it as a moving defensive fire 'bubble'. You can only effect them when firing _during_the_mph, even if other infantry/ vehicles are in the hex.

Exception: You can fire at any targets in LOS during the Defensive Fire Phase, whether moved or not. If the target type is infantry, it effects both eventual infantry and non-eventual infantry units in the hex: CE crews, passengers, infantry on foot, infantry in entrenchments/bunkers, etc. If you target the AFV then it effects it, it CE crew and passengers, not infantry beneath it.

This is not very well explained but pieced around the rule book and Q&A, so i thought it worth mentioning.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys all clear now.
Still just as much fun as I remember it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.