Popular Tags: [View All]
Roland Johansson
Sweden
Angered, Göteborg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I started to play this alone today, to learn it...
Looks neat with the Tablut board as the mead hall
even if it's very crowded putting all vikings there

Some vikings couldn't stand, but some small force
made them standing again, they were quite tight packed in transport

And I have a few questions about Hero cards

I learned they are discarded after a raid,
but only after the raid is over?

1)
for example:
When a Hero uses it's raid ability it still remains active so the symbol can be used?

I guess you should be able to use both Raid Ability and the symbol during a raid?

2)
Ketil Hero, from him you gain these symbols (three different)

I guess you should gain all three (if possible) and not discard
it after first use, since it didn't have the / separating the symbols

and then discard it when you can't/won't use it more?

I'll look forward to continue playing it

Best wishes
Rolle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Roland!

1) is pretty simple: yes, you get to use both the ability and the symbol if a Hero joins you on a Raid

2) in case of Ketil, if memory serves (I don't have the card in front of me now) his ability isn't a Raid ability, which means you can just get those symbols when you discard. Using an ability also discards the hero.

In terms of timing, the Hero can be discarded after a Raid is done, so when you already know how many points you get. When you clear out the used Vikings, damage the Ship etc. that's also when you discard the Hero - even if you didn't end up needing his symbol or you don't wish to use his Raid ability for some reason.

I hope that clears that up and I wish you a fun game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Johansson
Sweden
Angered, Göteborg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you

1) yes, that is what I thought would make sense

2) Yes, I understand Ketil gives no Raid ability, it's a special ability

Ketil gains recruitment, seamanship and craftmanship

but since you don't use them in the same kind of action
he's not discarded until you used all possible symbols... ?

and I also think I read that you can't use a single symbol that comes from an ability.

Ragnar also seem very strong since you don't expend any vikings with him
in the raid...

kindest regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ketil's ability would be used, like all other abilities, within a single turn of the player who uses him. So when you use him, you get the symbols until the end of your turn. You discard him immediately, so you could potentially use the Recruitment symbol to get another Hero in his stead - even if you want use the Craftmanship or Seamanship later in the turn, after purchasing another Hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Johansson
Sweden
Angered, Göteborg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ah I see, thank you

I can imagine a little problem to remember which symbol you used already
but I guess it will feel more natural after more playings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiltshire
Australia
Ingleburn
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. Thoroughly enjoyed the game - but we did have trouble working out what to do with Heroes on a raid.

In the English rules the only place that describes what to do with raiding heroes is in a box towards the end of the rules saying "Remember that you discard a Hero after a Raid even if you did not use their ability" (p11). But there is nothing to remember as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else int the rules.

The only hint that Heroes are on the ship rather than back in town is the fact that you cannot go on a raid if you have no hero in your town (p8).

In addition, the only time there is any description of ever discarding a hero is on p7 at point 4. Use Hero Special Ability - which specifically refers to 'non-raid' abilities being used after which the hero is discarded. Nor is anything mentioned in the Hero Card description at the start of the book that Heroes will leave on raids.

I think the rule should appear at step G. Damage Longship and should be relabelled - "G. Damage Longship and discard Hero" with an appropriate description of placing the hero back under the Hero pile at the end of the step.

Anyway, hope that helps - great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.