11 Posts

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong» Forums » Variants

Subject: Investigation for Clues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
So after about a dozen games, my game group decided to give this variant a try yesterday, and seemed to really like it. Apart from the very first game, the investigators always won soundly; we even had one match last less time than it took to setup! So I proposed the following changes:

Quote:
Investigation for Clues

1 - At the start, the Forensic Scientist plays the bullets for the Cause of Death and Location as normal.

2 - The Forensic Scientist will then draw a number of yellow Scene cards equal to the 9 minus the number of players (9-n), minimum zero, and place the bullets accordingly.

3 - Every time an investigator player turns in their badge to make an accusation and the Forensic Scientist responds "No", the Forensic Scientist may draw another Scene card and place a bullet on it.

4 - Once there are four yellow Scene cards in play, newly drawn Scene cards will replace ones that are already out. Once 3 Scene cards have been replaced, no further Scene cards will be drawn.

This variant results in the early accusations being somewhat blind, so some players will just have to "fall on their sword" in order to get more clues for the group. It made the game more exciting and frustrating in a fun way, as the closer you get to solving the crime, the fewer accusations you have available (for comparison, in earlier games it typically only took 2 accusations). The murderer (me) was still caught, but it felt closer, and I would like to see how it fares over repeated plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I'm going to try this next time, but I am unsure about the formula (9-n). With five players, which is how I usually play, four scene tiles are revealed in addition to the cause and location tiles. That's six tiles which is the same as the usual rules. One person could make a wild guess just to help out the investigator team because then an extra scene tile is revealed? Wouldn't that help the investigators more than the usual rules? I already see the investigators win most of the time.

I may tweak this, but I like what you've started. I think 'n' tiles total to begin with would be more challenging. Five players = five tiles revealed (1 cause, 1 location & 3 scene). Might be too hard with four players. I'll post my thoughts after I try it next time. Thanks for sharing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
EmperorJacob wrote:
I'm going to try this next time, but I am unsure about the formula (9-n).

"9-n" means that after the final Scene tile (7th) is revealed, there is only one badge left in play. If that last player is the Murderer (or the Accomplice), then they win, otherwise the investigators only have one last chance.

I was considering changing it to 10-n, as otherwise the murderer could just hang on to theirs in order to force everyone else to accuse with incomplete information. Of course, appearing to be reluctant with your accusation could make you look suspicious for that very reason.

EmperorJacob wrote:
With five players, which is how I usually play, four scene tiles are revealed in addition to the cause and location tiles. That's six tiles which is the same as the usual rules.

It would be almost the same as the usual rules, the only difference is the replacement tiles wont come out until incorrect accusations are made.

EmperorJacob wrote:
One person could make a wild guess just to help out the investigator team because then an extra scene tile is revealed? Wouldn't that help the investigators more than the usual rules?

That would make it harder, not easier. In the standard game, players will just make their presentations to get more Scene tiles, and save their badges for after the final Scene tile is revealed. With this variant, 3 people will have to spend their badges before all possible clues are revealed (in a 5-player game).

EDIT

Once you have over 9 players, you will have more than 1 badge remaining after the final Scene tile is revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Ah, yes. I see now. Well thought out. Look forward to my nex play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears the main difference is a bad guess effectively ends a round ... which I like .. and feels thematic ...

Overall this variant is a bit confusing ... and could be reworded (with a chart instead of a formula), but what I believe I grasp about it seems good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
For those who need a chart:

Number of Players = Starting Yellow Scene Tiles
5 = 4
6 = 3
7 = 2
8 = 1
9+ = 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
For those who need a chart:

Number of Players = Starting Yellow Scene Tiles
5 = 4
6 = 3
7 = 2
8 = 1
9+ = 0

Sounds clever. I'm going to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Karmic_devil wrote:
Sounds clever. I'm going to try it.

Let me know how it works out for you and yours. We played two more times this past Sunday, but it was still over pretty quick.

(And I thought I was being rather clever picking Mad Dog and Dog Fur; thought it made for fewer clues, and another player had Bite and Tear)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
Wait.. how come more players has less scenes? Won't less scenes make it harder for the investigators?

In general, the game is harder for investigators if there are more of you. Shouldn't the scaling go the opposite way? More investigators, more scenes? Less investigators, less scenes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
You get the same number of Scene cards regardless by the end of the game, but you start with fewer when you have more players.

My personal experience has been quite the opposite; more players means more guesses, making it more likely for the murderer to get found out. The extra cards on the field mean nothing when the Forensic Investigator is able to narrow it down enough. After around 16 games and the Murderer only winning once, it is quite apparent in my group that the game is in the investigators' favor (and no one liked the Witness, as it made the game even more easy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
Ah I see your point. I'll give this variant a spin at the next opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.