Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I missed out on the Scythe KS. I don't know why, I guess it looked heavier and 'meritrashy to me then it apparently is and then didn't pay attention to it anymore. Until I saw pictures of someone's copy and thought it looked gorgeous. I read some more about it and figured it could well be a game we'd like.

The same happened with me with Viticulture's original KS in 2013. And then, when I was about to purchase it, a KS appeared for its expansion Tuscany, which included a second edition for Viticulture and even a complete Collector's Set (not so complete anymore, but still cool to own).

I know there's already an expansion announced for Scythe, with extra player mats and updated abilities.

So, how big is the chance there might be a bigger expansion (beyond the already announced faction-expansion), let's say next year which could be on KS in a similar way the Tuscany/Vit.2nd.Ed/Complete did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just speculation here, but I doubt there'll be a "box box" version of Scythe any time soon, if at all.

The Tuscany expansion for Viticulture was modular, and the Essential Edition took SOME (but not all) of these modules and combined them in to the base game. Scythe's expansion looks to just be new factions, maybe with much-of-the-same other content (encounter cards, bonus tiles, etc.), so there's nothing really to combine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
Just speculation here, but I doubt there'll be a "box box" version of Scythe any time soon, if at all.

The Tuscany expansion for Viticulture was modular, and the Essential Edition took SOME (but not all) of these modules and combined them in to the base game. Scythe's expansion looks to just be new factions, maybe with much-of-the-same other content (encounter cards, bonus tiles, etc.), so there's nothing really to combine...

I understand the upcoming expansion is just new factions, but what I meant was do people think in 12-15 months from now...what are the chances there will be a big expansion for Scythe a la Tuscany (not necessarily modular/legacy style), but in bigness. Which could warrant a new KS for said expansion, plus a (probably updated) base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would think chances are extremely thin to none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for Jamey, but my guess is that there wouldn't be a big box kickstarter for Scythe and an expansion.

I don't see a reason that it would be needed. The expansion is not going to be a kickstarter, and the base game will be available soon retail. The base game box is already very big, and the expansion won't fit in it. So I don't know why there would need to be a kickstarter to sell 2 items that van already be purchased retail, or why they would do a kickstarter just to make an even bigger box to fit everything into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion will be retail not kickstarter. A big box would only make sense after the retail versions of both the base game and the expansion are sold out. Even then it probably wouldn't be on kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again.... I'm NOT talking about the upcoming faction-expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:

There hasn't been any rumblings about an expansion or added materials other than the upcoming faction expansion.

I feel like anything coming after that would be well beyond the 12-15 month window you are asking about.

To me, it sounds like these two factions were well along in the playtest and clearly planned for.

I think anything else would have to be generated from scratch. I'd look at the timeline thus far for the Euphoria expansion to get an idea of the development for a second expansion for Scythe (big box or otherwise). It has been in design & development for a while and recently moved to playtest with a release for sometime next year, IIRC.

You can look back through the Stonemaier newsletters to see the announcement and progress on their chart showing all production in development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:

In your original post you asked: "So, how big is the chance there might be a bigger expansion, let's say next year which could be on KS in a similar way the Tuscany/Vit.2nd.Ed/Complete did?"

I think that is the question folks are addressing and, based on available information (knowledge of the game system and the only (minimal) expansion announced) the consensus answer is, "Very little change -- we don't see that as very likely at all."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"So, how big is the chance there might be a bigger expansion, let's say next year which could be on KS in a similar way the Tuscany/Vit.2nd.Ed/Complete did?"

I don't want to say "never", but I'll say that the chance of that happening is infinitesimally small. From now on, we're just going to make the retail version of Scythe. The first (and only planned) expansion contains 2 new factions and 2 new player mats (to bring the player count up to 6-7 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
"So, how big is the chance there might be a bigger expansion, let's say next year which could be on KS in a similar way the Tuscany/Vit.2nd.Ed/Complete did?"

I don't want to say "never", but I'll say that the chance of that happening is infinitesimally small. From now on, we're just going to make the retail version of Scythe. The first (and only planned) expansion contains 2 new factions and 2 new player mats (to bring the player count up to 6-7 players).

And some coins ? please don't forget the coins.....modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

But with 6 or 7 players we will definitely need more (much more) amazing and stunning and beautiful realistic resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion has seven $50 cardboard coins that I doubt will hardly ever need to be used. It also doesn't need more resource tokens (adding them would create compatibility issues and would add to the cost). In rare cases where you need more resource tokens, the base game includes multiplier tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might make sense to create an expansion bling pack to bring the expansion up to base game bling-ness, i.e. provide as many additional coins and realistic resource tokens as the expansion provides cardboard ones. I feel for those whose OCD would flare up mixing cool custom tokens and coins with cardboard since I'd be one of those people.

FYI I have no dog in this hunt as I'm using realistic resources I bought separately in various Stonemaier treasure chests and will have 2 sets of Scythe coins once that preorder is fulfilled, so I'll be set for whatever comes next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: Not an actual cat
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
The expansion has seven $50 cardboard coins that I doubt will hardly ever need to be used. It also doesn't need more resource tokens (adding them would create compatibility issues and would add to the cost). In rare cases where you need more resource tokens, the base game includes multiplier tokens.

Used? Who said anything about using the coins? They're there to be admired and aspired for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

I don't know if you've already finalized the tokens yet, but I'd find this much more useful in a 6-7 player setup:

1) More low-denomination coins would be of greater convenience than more 50's. Heck, maybe a 2-coin and a 4-coin would work, if you want unique faction-style coins.

2) More of the resource token modifiers (+3 and so forth), if possible recolored in part to match the actual resources (rather than all brown & black).

It would seem to me it's the small stuff that disappears fastest in a high-player-count game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alex! I agree that the low-numbered coins are used quite a bit. The $10 coins don't see much play in my group. It's all $1, $3, $5, and then--at the end of the game--$20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That pack with the realistic resources is a regular product, though, or am I mistaken?

i.e. if I decide at some point, that the amount I have from the CE box isn't enough, there are still more to buy?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
That pack with the realistic resources is a regular product, though, or am I mistaken?

i.e. if I decide at some point, that the amount I have from the CE box isn't enough, there are still more to buy?

Bye
Thanee

They don't match exactly. The treasure chests have black oil barrels instead of blue and the paint on the wood pieces is all brown instead of lighter brown on the cross-sections. There might be other differences too.

You can buy more resources now if your distribution center has some left over, per the latest SMG newsletter update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee: It depends--we don't make infinite amounts of anything, so products will go out of stock if people buy them all. If that happens, you can indicate your interest on our future printing request form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfeu-vkPKywrXOcVkr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Thanks to you both!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will the $50 coins ever be made into metal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

...Any chance of getting those $50 coins in metal to go with the rest of the gorgeous coins in the Collectors and Art editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.