Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Linna
Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy everybody! I and my lady are looking for co-operative survival game maybe but no necessary zombie theme (usually survival games are zombie themes I think)

We own Escape: Zombie City and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island but we want to try something complex. Something where is characters, many weapons, lives, cool board map, good replayability and my lady like zombies And of course willingly game what works if no best but good with two player.

We have looked at the following games:
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Zombicide
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Zpocalypse

But we want to hear comrades board gamers opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Fincastle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your case, go for Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game You'd love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say anything about Zpocalypse.

Zombicide is not a complex game. There is quite a bit going on, but it's still more of a light and fun type of game. If you don't mind the light-hearted, zombie-horde-splattering approach of the game, it could be a good choice, as it is a lot of fun for sure. Zombicide: Black Plague is strictly the better game, though, I would say.

Last Night on Earth is not cooperative, one player controls the zombies in that game.

I don't know how well Dead of Winter works with just two players. It is meant to be played with a few more, I think. BGG ratings also underline that.

Also, Robinson Crusoe is quite complex already. I doubt you will easily find something more complex than that in the genre. Though, maybe you mean "complex" in a bit of a different way here than game complexity.

If you like The Walking Dead (the tv series especially), this might be worth a look: The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary. It is on Kickstarter right now (campaign ends tomorrow), so I havn't played this, yet. It has some very interesting mechanics, though, and is far from the typical zombie-splatter.

Another one to look into is Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition). And, likewise, I havn't played this one, yet, but it does look pretty cool and I have heard a lot of good things about it.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Linssi89 wrote:
Howdy everybody! I and my lady are looking for co-operative survival game maybe but no necessary zombie theme (usually survival games are zombie themes I think)

We own Escape: Zombie City and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island but we want to try something complex. Something where is characters, many weapons, lives, cool board map, good replayability and my lady like zombies And of course willingly game what works if no best but good with two player.

We have looked at the following games:
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Zombicide
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Zpocalypse

But we want to hear comrades board gamers opinion!

My girlfriend and I have had a lot of fun with Dead of Winter and Zombicide (Black Plague version). Personally for 2 player I lean more towards Zombicide, as you're playing with everything and just dividing the characters between you. 2-player Dead of Winter, while I actually find it a lot of fun, is missing the traitor element that many think is the main hook. Certainly becomes more of a simple puzzle with just 2. Zombicide is far more of an action game with lots of dice rolling.

Two different price points though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Khalil
Qatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the zombie theme is not necessary, I backed The 7th Continent specifically to play with my wife over a long time. The theme is you are trying to lift a curse that was placed on you when you discovered the 7th continent, and you've returned there and are exploring, surviving, collecting, crafting, fighting, and hunting. It is a very cool system to exploration that is honestly the first game I've seen that truly feels like real exploration (here's hoping it delivers). It is due to ship by the end of the year, it will probably hit retail soon after, so I imagine you'll be able to get it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Dead of Winter - if survival is the main interest than this is a great one. However with 2 people you lose the traitor mechanic which is part of the fun. Also, Dead of Winter is almost more about surviving in a post-apocalyptic world than surviving zombies themselves - a lot of the emphasis is getting basic supplies, surviving the elements and the human interactions.

Zombicide: Black Plague - great co-op but is pretty much a tactical battle against the zombies. If hacking away at hordes of zombies is what you're looking for, this is the one for you.

Last Night on Earth - not co-operative, one of you plays the zombies. It's more like playing through a B-zombie movie. Theoretically fun but I personally found it not great.

Dawn of the Zeds - tower defense style where you are in a town with the zombies creeping inexorably toward you on the roads into town. Your characters have to venture out to kill them before they arrive in town. Not exactly survival but it is a decent game.

Haven't played Zpocalypse. Another one I haven't played but have heard good things about is Carnival Zombie.

As someone else mentioned, The Walking Dead is on kickstarter and it looks very promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Netherlands
Rijswijk
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
^^
Ghost stories is probably not what OP is looking for. It's hard, often requires sacrifices, there are no flashy weapons or variety of different heroes. The variance comes entirely from different arrangements of the same basic stuff (unless you factor in expansions, I cannot speak for those).

If zombies are not necessary, have you considered Arkham/Eldritch Horror?

The variability is through the roof with so many expansions to choose from, also allowing you to tweak the difficulty level (mostly true for Arkham, Eldritch will hopefully eventually get more in the coming years).

Both are good co-op games, have very cool art and play well with 2. However, they do not focus on your own survival, rather the survival of the whole world. You might even be required to bite the bullet in pursuit of said goal :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Galaxy Defenders may be a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Linna
Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Can't say anything about Zpocalypse.

Zombicide is not a complex game. There is quite a bit going on, but it's still more of a light and fun type of game. If you don't mind the light-hearted, zombie-horde-splattering approach of the game, it could be a good choice, as it is a lot of fun for sure. Zombicide: Black Plague is strictly the better game, though, I would say.

Last Night on Earth is not cooperative, one player controls the zombies in that game.

I don't know how well Dead of Winter works with just two players. It is meant to be played with a few more, I think. BGG ratings also underline that.

Also, Robinson Crusoe is quite complex already. I doubt you will easily find something more complex than that in the genre. Though, maybe you mean "complex" in a bit of a different way here than game complexity.

If you like The Walking Dead (the tv series especially), this might be worth a look: The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary. It is on Kickstarter right now (campaign ends tomorrow), so I havn't played this, yet. It has some very interesting mechanics, though, and is far from the typical zombie-splatter.

Another one to look into is Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition). And, likewise, I havn't played this one, yet, but it does look pretty cool and I have heard a lot of good things about it.

Bye
Thanee

Yes I mean complex something different. I want to see detailed map where have to move and shooting things and make choices and where is more than you move meeple there and roll dice and that's it. Can this more difficult to express

Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition) seem to be nice choice! Need to read more about it.

Yes we like The Walking Dead and The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary now goes for consideration. I looked Rahdos video but have to wait more reviews. And it is only now just coming.

If we look comminity poll Dead of Winter is not good two player game.

The 7th Continent could be purchase even if not quite what we are looking for.

Zombicide: Black Plague looks like what we want. Maybe this is our next game to whom we give the opportunity!!!

Galaxy Defenders not a bad option at all. Have to look a little bit closer.

And those Arkham/Eldritch Horror is just what you said Borghal: survival of the whole world. So too large scale.

Thank you all so far respondents. Is allowed to put more suggestions. I must now during this month anyway to buy new co-op survival game or games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.