Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some mental notes from both the Tuesday and Sunday AM meetings for those unable to attend:

ATTENDANCE: overall attendance was down about 15%. Total unique attendees was about 1500 people. Pre regs were flat, the drop off predictably came from the walk in / short time crowd. The first weekend attendance seemed to be up significantly based on what I and many others observed. So despite the predictions and hopes of some that the attendance would plummet, think again. The contract for 2017 ( we had an opt out ) has been renewed . The hotel has a lot of space that we still have not used.

NEW CON DIRECTOR: Don will be replaced by Ken Gutermuth in April of next year when Ken retires from his current job. Don will remain on the BPA board. Kens current role of Treasurer will be filled before he assumes his new role.

VENDORS: someone commented that the Euro game vendors seemed sparse this year. This was not by design - the BPA encourages vendors. This was mainly as a result of GenCon starting this week, and possibly vendors concerned about a huge attendance drop. Some didn't even see the Decision booth despite it being between Open Gaming and Registration. It was suggested that people get out and look around.....

SEPARATE BUILDING: it was asked if there could be something done about the gap between the two buildings in case of inclement weather like Saturdays downpour. The hotel will look into something. A temporary awning would be too difficult to secure; one option would be some sort of umbrella station where gamers could borrow one and leave it on the other side. Personally, I had a light rain jacket in my day bag that did the trick. While some decried the walk to the other building, I liked the space. Quieter, it had a great outside view, and starting at noon for those inclined, the bar was open. The food over there was hit and miss though.

FOOD/VENUE: Don stressed that any first year at a new venue is a learning experience for both attendees and the hotel, and this was no exception. Overall the hotel was very pleased with onsite food sales. Now that they've seen first hand the situation, some adjustments will be looked into. Nothing definite as of yet. Don doubts they will install any sort of hallway buffet line a la the Host, For one thing, the hallways are pretty tight. Daily I found myself stuck behind two people walking abreast and there was little room to pass. It was requested that the main bar ( Bavarian ) stay open later. Or maybe they'll open the Matterhorn below it, who knows.

One person asked why the buffet price switched from the first few days to a cheaper price later, albeit one without what was apparently a pretty impressive omelet bar. Don's response was that there were other guests the first weekend , including two large wedding parties. Interestingly, despite much carping about higher prices, Don said half the commentary he got was asking why the more expensive buffet couldn't be carried forward to the whole week.

Speaking of other guests, someone else asked how much bigger the con needs to get til we basically take the whole place over. No hard number, but certainly both sides see the potential for expansion. As it is, we used just about all the meeting space inside the main hotel.

Don was very pleased with the hotel response to any issues we had. AC issue in the Foggy Goggle, they had a ton of portable units that same day installed, and they opened up a new space in the building as well. He saw the facility General Manager daily, as opposed to the prior GM at the Host only appearing when Don threatened to walk out.

Bruce Reiff went plaque less this year , a rare occurrence. That alone makes the con a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Flowers

Odenton
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks. I only caught part of Tuesday's meeting and none of Sunday's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Bruce Reiff went plaque less this year, a rare occurrence. That alone makes the con a success.

I wish I could claim a share in the glory of being part of this Reiff Rout, but I never played Bruce in anything this year.

Wait, maybe that's why he was stopped... (Darn shake ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there any mention of the leaking roof in the Ski Lodge? I know at least one game was ruined by the water. I am hopeful that the resort will commit to making the necessary repairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to Ken! A very worthy choice.

Very glad things went well. Weren't there over 2000 last year, though? Still, 15% is not bad at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, the resort has been extremely responsive to problems, so I expect that the leaking will not be a long-term issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

Very glad things went well. Weren't there over 2000 last year, though? Still, 15% is not bad at all.

I thought so too -- guess that wasn't correct. Sounds like more like 1750 (if a 15% drop-off resulted in 1500 total). If it was 2000 last year, then that's closer to a 25% drop-off ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Was there any mention of the leaking roof in the Ski Lodge? I know at least one game was ruined by the water. I am hopeful that the resort will commit to making the necessary repairs.

There was a leak from the skylight right outside the Bavarian Lounge with a plant under it. One of the workers I mentioned it to said it had been there for years.

Maybe the one in the ski lodge is another "pet" leak they like to keep around for nostalgia.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ottey
United States
Royersford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What (if anything) was in the separate building other than the vendor area?

I only ventured there for the vendors, and was honestly a bit disappointed. A lot of wargame vendors, but only one or two for euros (at least when I went on Friday).

I loved the open gaming room - especially the lighting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
otteydw wrote:
What (if anything) was in the separate building other than the vendor area?

There were a bunch of heats for games in the First Tracks/Slopeside/Foggy Goggles areas - I saw a lot of wargames there, and know that at least Galaxy Trucker's heats were there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know B-17 was there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Grognard events and many of the two player card driven events were in the other building. Plenty of space and nice to have windows .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Speaking of tight hallways, perhaps next year they could put the kiosks somewhere else so that the main chokepoint is 3 people wide rather than 2.5. Maybe on the second floor outside the seasons room or wrapped around the ballroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saccenti wrote:
Marty S wrote:
Bruce Reiff went plaque less this year, a rare occurrence. That alone makes the con a success.

I wish I could claim a share in the glory of being part of this Reiff Rout, but I never played Bruce in anything this year.

I wasn't there, but sources tell me that Bruce got a third in Liar's Dice for a bit of wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ewan m
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ardrummo wrote:
saccenti wrote:
Marty S wrote:

I wasn't there, but sources tell me that Bruce got a third in Liar's Dice for a bit of wood.

Only first places count . I just hope that Nicole won something for maximum schadenfreude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:

ATTENDANCE: overall attendance was down about 15%. Total unique attendees was about 1500 people. Pre regs were flat, the drop off predictably came from the walk in / short time crowd. The first weekend attendance seemed to be up significantly based on what I and many others observed. So despite the predictions and hopes of some that the attendance would plummet, think again. The contract for 2017 ( we had an opt out ) has been renewed . The hotel has a lot of space that we still have not used.

My recollection from Tuesday's meeting was that pre-registration was down 15%, and that Don did not yet have a walk-in number (since it was still only Tuesday). I think it will be intersting if we can get a comparison of the number of player-days - my guess is that a large part of the decrease was in people who attend fewer than all 7 (now 9) days. A direct comparison may be difficult to make due to the change from a 7-day Con plus Pre-Con to a 9-day Con.

Regardless, the Yaure clan had a great time and is making plans for attending in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don didn't have a hard number, but his sense of "player days" was that they were flat. The con was certainly more crowded in the first weekend than in years past, so that may have offset the drop off in second weekend walk ins from previous years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great time. Seven Springs was a much nicer place to bring your family than the Host if they wanted to do other things than gaming. The food was expensive but the facilities were better kept up and there was other stuff to do. The open gaming space was way better and the staff were friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I thought so too -- guess that wasn't correct. Sounds like more like 1750 (if a 15% drop-off resulted in 1500 total). If it was 2000 last year, then that's closer to a 25% drop-off ....

I spoke with Don on Sunday and he told me it was off by 25%, which is what he anticipated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Lemur wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I spoke with Don on Sunday and he told me it was off by 25%, which is what he anticipated.

That was my expectation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
25% makes sense, and no doubt it was mostly those who "day-tripped". I would note that some were making silly predictions of 50%.

I agree that it would be interesting to know how we did in terms of length of attendance, as that tells us who was unable to attend.

Either way, now that we have the move made and a year under our belts in our outstanding new digs we make any needed adjustments (as does Seven Springs) and we start the next stage in the life of WBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to know if it was 25% of "actual visitors" or 25% of "total player days"

For example - this past year, there were 6 of us who didn't come at all (usually 9 days) and 2 who went from 9 days to 3 days. So - is the 25% drop a reduction of "6" people or a reduction of "66" days.

The first is far more troubling, since that means actual PEOPLE reduced 25%. The second could mean there were actually as many *people* there; just that they were staying shorter lengths of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don's initial take was that the number of unique attendees was def down. However, the amount of "player days" was closer to flat. The early part of the con felt much busier than years past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
It would be interesting to know if it was 25% of "actual visitors" or 25% of "total player days"

For example - this past year, there were 6 of us who didn't come at all (usually 9 days) and 2 who went from 9 days to 3 days. So - is the 25% drop a reduction of "6" people or a reduction of "66" days.

The first is far more troubling, since that means actual PEOPLE reduced 25%. The second could mean there were actually as many *people* there; just that they were staying shorter lengths of time.

Neither one is "troubling". A drop was fully expected - every conference when they move has a drop especially when the move is a considerable distance. A 20-25% drop is no big deal - we'll just start growing again in our new digs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.