Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The drop was well within what had been budgeted, Don was overall very encouraged with the results, esp the increase in longer stays .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
The drop was well within what had been budgeted, Don was overall very encouraged with the results, esp the increase in longer stays .

I'll comment that, after seeing the sparse offerings over the first weekend, I actually shortened my stay by one night and didn't arrive until Sunday night. Unless there are more compelling reasons to attend on the first weekend, the increase in longer stays may evaporate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Don's initial take was that the number of unique attendees was def down. However, the amount of "player days" was closer to flat. The early part of the con felt much busier than years past.

Well, then that makes a difference.

If the unique attendees were down by 25%; and the overall "player days" were down by 40% - then it would signify you lost a lot of the multi-day visitors.

If the player days were up (as it seems); then the remaining 75% obviously upped their stay (so, you're right, that's not as troubling). But, then again, there was a subsidy for staying (was it 6+ nights)? That could also have affected the longer stays. Who really knows.

It'll be interesting to see things in, say, 4 years ... with no subsidies. Although, the concept of "you get what you pay for" is certainly in effect -- the facility did look beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:

I'll comment that, after seeing the sparse offerings over the first weekend, I actually shortened my stay by one night and didn't arrive until Sunday night. Unless there are more compelling reasons to attend on the first weekend, the increase in longer stays may evaporate.

I think this year was a bit more of a feeling out of the scheduling possibilities. Next year I'd expect to see a few more early weekend games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I thought there was more early stuff this year as compared to previously. I tried out a Sunday Tuesday Wednesday schedule for Egizia this year, and next year I'm leaning towards Saturday Sunday Monday.

I do think Agricola running all 3 heats on Saturday is probably an error - it dissuades other games from going on Saturday, which dissuades people uninterested in Agricola from showing up for that day. I'll probably add a Saturday Egizia heat next year either way, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
Marty S wrote:

I'd be surprised. I was in the open gaming hall Sunday and it was packed. I looked at my friend and was like " Is it only Sunday ? Seems like a mid week crowd". I didn't see much in the way of people wandering around with nothing to do.

As others have pointed out, I think this year was a feeling out year for attendees, vendors, and the hotel. With everyone knowing more what to expect, I suspect we'll see more stuff in the early part of the week. If anything, based on other cons that have shifted to earlier starts, I can see more people bailing early as they have either longer travel times, or fatigue sets in . I'm pretty fried by the second Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were more games on the opening weekend than ever before, primarily because this was the first time the opening weekend wasn't pre-con. Monday was down right packed with games, and I'd expect even more games the first Saturday and Sunday next year. Indeed it felt a bit like the last Saturday and Sunday were a little under represented. I'm sure that we'll get to a nice balance though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big difference was having numerous Euro events the first weekend, when in past years there were virtually none, esp of the shorter variety. I'll be curious to see how they drew esp more popular ones like 7 Wonders/7W Duel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewE wrote:
I do think Agricola running all 3 heats on Saturday is probably an error - it dissuades other games from going on Saturday, which dissuades people uninterested in Agricola from showing up for that day. I'll probably add a Saturday Egizia heat next year either way, though.

I can't see that at all. I think the more games that are scheduled on Saturday, the more people will be expected to show up, which means the more attractive it becomes to schedule other games on Saturday too. What fraction of attendees want to play any one particular game, like Agricola? Maybe 20%, at most?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Flowers

Odenton
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run El Grande heats on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday pretty much forever. I might trying pushing the Thursday heat back to Monday next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
AndrewE wrote:

I can't see that at all. I think the more games that are scheduled on Saturday, the more people will be expected to show up, which means the more attractive it becomes to schedule other games on Saturday too. What fraction of attendees want to play any one particular game, like Agricola? Maybe 20%, at most?

I would wager that 20% of attendees wanting to play any game is a high estimate. There weren't THAT many people playing it. Many people expressed to me the lack of desire to play agricola in particular. Several of these people were euro gamers. Even the late night games only get 300 or so right? They are the highest attended events in the con for the most part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
AndrewE wrote:

I'll take myself as the example here.

Eric's euro schedule has Saturday running two games - 2 heats of 7 wonders and 3 heats of Agricola, which very conspicuously don't overlap but do take up the entire day back to back to back, from 10 till 23.

I want to schedule Egizia. Do I stack it on top of 7 wonders or Agricola on Saturday for the only doubled-up timeslot, or do I do what I did and pick a spot on Sunday where we're already running two games at a time and have some holes to fill?

Now I'm a random eurogamer trying to decide whether to attend the opening Saturday. The only thing on the schedule is 7 wonders and Agricola and maybe I don't like those games or don't consider them worth an extra day.

You're right that the better solution is to just shift more stuff forward to Saturday so we're running two euros at a time, but this year, looking at this schedule, I would have taken a slot on Saturday for Egizia if Agricola and 7 wonders hadn't taken them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the need to avoid conflicting with them unless you know you have a lot of definite player overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps people with numbers... the ones that I know:

7 Wonders Duel on Sunday had 84 registered players, though we turned away at least another 30 due to a lack of games :-(

King of Tokyo had 90 players Tuesday night (down from 127)

Can't Stop had 244 on Wednesday (pretty flat against 245)

Splendor had 288 (up from 272)

Santa Fe Rails had 41 (down from 46) but the same number of player starts (more people played extra heats)

Castles of Mad King was up above last years 109 but I don't know by how much.

I also believe that Ticket was down a little but not much year over year. And Dominion was definitely down a bit as well.

In the Juniors room I got:

19 for Liar's Dice on Monday
18 for Augustus on Monday
30 for Splendor on Friday

Family Wits and Wagers had 24 teams (about 60 gamers) on Tuesday evening

I believe that the previous juniors rooms averaged 12-35 for tournaments but someone else might know better.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.