Darkness Sabotage» Forums » General

Subject: Why Are Some Missions Add-ons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold missions and Mission mode are different add-ons (I'm a little unclear, but it seems like they are)? In American, they are roughly $30 more.

I feel like they should be in the base game. Is anyone else thinking this way, or is it just me? I know the point is to make money, but...

The Kang and Butcher add-ons give more minis and run at 35 and 22; I can see that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I felt the same way, but at this point, it is what it is.

The stronghold missions seem to expand the campaign storyline, and also includes more gear and places to get that gear, what with the vendor cards and all.

The Mission mode (arcade mode?) seems like it should have been included, as its more of a pick up and play type system.

I'm still confused as to the difference between the basic and "no thrills" version outside of deluxe packaging.

Maybe they'll both get a bit of extra oomph added to them before all is said and done, because like you said, compared to the monster expansions it doesn't seem that great of deal, whereas Kang and the Butcher very much seem to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At a guess: it's the realities of small scale print runs.

The Stronghold pack is a bit pricey, but not -terribly- so. ~40 cards, plus 5 (larger) mission cards, with (what sounds like) new art and a little story update makes it kinda' comparable (to me anyway) to a Netrunner booster pack. But FFG is also going to print tens of thousands more copies of that booster pack.

The Mission Mode sounds like a print-on-demand product the way they describe it. At a guess, 16-32 pages long (2-4 pages per mission, with some wiggle room). I'm betting the cost increase of adding these to the core set is just enough to get it above a magical MSRP target goal. Meanwhile, $9 for low quality and $16 for high quality sounds about comparable to what I'd pay over on DriveThruRPG for their POD options, with most of that going to cover printing costs (POD simply costs more than traditional print).

Honestly, the Mission Mode should probably be a free PDF download, with the Add On option there for people who want a nice, professionally bound alternative (and they're out there). At 16-32 pages, I'd be willing to bet there'd be people happy to buy a $16 hardback copy.

As is, I doubt the profit margins on these items are going to be much at all. Maybe if everyone buys them then Dethrone Games will see some return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pass on both. I don't see them as a value and they will either be the same or less at retail or offered later as a download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.