flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Report #8

April 12, 1987

American League

Toronto......6
Boston.......3

Jesse Barfield is storming out of the gate for the Blue Jays. After going 3 for 4 with a single, double, and 3-run home run he is hitting .458 with 5 home runs. Jim Rice finally got going for the Red Sox with a 3-run homer of his own (his first of the season). Jim Clancy pitched a good game to pick up his first victory of the season. Tom Henke closed the game out for his second save of the season. Bob Stanley being moved to the rotation has proved to be ineffective so far in 1987. Stanley dropped to 0-2 with a 10.80 ERA.

Detroit......8
Chicago......9

What the Tigers have done so far without Kirk Gibson and Lance Parrish has been impressive to say the least. But the White Sox would impress today. After falling down 7-0 the White Sox would score in 5 of the final 6 innings. Heading into the bottom of the 9th the Sox were down 8-7. Darryl Boston his a sac fly to right to tie the game and then two batters later, Ozzie Guillen ripped a single up the middle for the walk off win. The Tigers bullpen struggled. They went 4 innings allowing 8 hits and 4 runs.

Baltimore....9
Cleveland....6

The Orioles used a 7-run 5th inning to increase their lead to 8-0 over the Indians. The Tribe would bounce back to make it a game but would eventually run out of innings. Rookie Eric Bell pitched Ok for the Orioles to pick up his first victory. Steve Carlton pitched two and a third innings for the Indians in relief and allowed just 1 run while striking out 5.

New York.....3
Kansas City..1

Charlie Leibrandt just can't seem to catch a break. Leibrandt brought his record to 0-2 on the season despite having an ERA of 2.40. Joe Niekro pitched a great game for the Yankees. Niekro went 8 strong innings allowing just 5 hits. Dave Righetti would pitch the 9th inning for his first save of the season. Rickey Henderson stole 3 bases giving him 8 on the season.

California..14
Oakland......1

This is the Mike Witt the Angels were hoping for when the 1987 season began. Witt was spectacular. He pitched the complete game allowing just 4 hits and 1 run and even struck out 8 batters. Curt Young was roughed up in this one for 10 hits and 5 runs in 5 innings but it was the Oakland bullpen that really took the beating. Krueger, Howell, and Rodriguez combined to pitch two and two thirds innings and allowed 8 hits and 9 runs. Reggie Jackson did hit his first homer of the season for the A's.

Minnesota....3
Seattle......5

Mark Langston improved to 2-0 with a 2.93 ERA after a quality performance against the Twins. Langston went 8.1 innings scattering 7 hits and allowing 3 runs. Bert Blyleven wasn't horrible for the Twins but he wasn't great either. Edwin Nunez pitched the rest of the 9th inning to pick up his first save of the season.

Milwaukee...10
Texas........5

Paul Molitor and Robin Yount are the dynamic duo for the Brewers so far this season. Molitor went 4 for 6 with 2 RBIs and has a .346 batting average. Yount went 3 for 4 with a home run and 5 RBIs and has a .385 batting average. They are a two man wrecking crew right now. Bill Wegman moved to 2-0 on the season for the Brewers.

National League

San Diego......7
Cincinnati.....8 (11 innings)

One of the more exciting games of the season contained some big hits, come backs, and clutch hits. In the top of the third rookie catcher Benito Santiago ripped a bases clearing double to give the Padres a 5-1 lead. The Reds would answer right back in the bottom of the inning with a 2-run home run by Barry Larkin. In the bottom of the 8th trailing by two runs with two outs, catcher Bo Diaz smacked a 2-run home run off Craig Lefferts to send the game into extra innings. Greg Booker would come into pitch for the Padres in the bottom of the 11th inning. His first pitch was crushed over the center field wall by Terry Francona and the Reds completed the come back.

Atlanta........3
New York.......5

Bob Ojeda wasn't as good as he was during his first start of the season but he was good enough. Ojeda moved to 2-0 1.80 on the season. Darryl Strawberry hit his third home run of the season but is still struggling with a .222 batting average. Gene Walter finally pitched well out of bullpen and Jesse Orosco pitched the final two innings to pick up his second save of the season.

Chicago........2
Philadelphia...8

Shane Rawley looked good today. The lefty pitched the complete game and only allowed three hits. He did walk 4 batters but he pitched himself out of trouble the entire game. Mike Easler had a big day for the Phillies going 4 for 5 with 4 singles. Andre Dawson enjoying his new home in Chicago, hit his 4th home run of the season and his currently hitting .435 and has 8 RBIs.

St. Louis......3
Pittsburgh.....1

The Pirates drop to 0-5 on the season and continue to struggle offensively. John Tudor of the Cardinals is off to a hot start. He is now 2-0 with a 2.16 ERA and pitched brilliantly. Bob Patterson improved upon his first start but couldn't match the Cardinals ace. Steve Lake replaced an injured Tony Pena and had 2 hits and 2 RBIs.

Montreal.......2
Houston........1

Bob Sebra of the Expos and Bob Knepper of the Astros are pitching really well right now. Sebra went 7 innings, 5 hits, 1 run, and 7 Ks. Knepper went 7 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, and 4 Ks. The big blow came in the top of the 9th inning. Tim Wallach hit a solo home run off of Charlie Kerfeld to give the Expos the 2-1 lead. Randy St. Claire pitched the 9th inning to pick up his first save of the season.

San Francisco..8
Los Angeles....4

The Dodgers are off to a 1-6 start and have a lot more questions than answers. Fernando Valenzuela is now 0-2 with a 4.85 and Orel Hershiser is also struggling. After 6 innings the Giants were up 7-0 and the Dodgers looked as if they didn't want to be there. The Dodgers did put up a few runs late but were never really competitive in this one.

That's 75 games down and 2,031 to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're making me look bad! You've managed 75 games and I haven't even got DICE Baseball to the table for my first!

This month . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
You're making me look bad! You've managed 75 games and I haven't even got DICE Baseball to the table for my first!

This month . . .

That's not that bad.

I am actually almost 200 games into this replay. I am way behind in posting about it and I have gone long periods without playing any games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.