Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Planning to play a 2 players game of Cuba Libre soon. Did you suggest we both select one faction and let the other 2 factions being manage by the AI or it's suitable to let both player control 2 factions each?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it would be much more fun to play two factions each...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wamba the Fool
United States
flag msg tools
Cabalist 'til death!
badge
Cabalist 'til death!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of each playing one faction of a "side" (e.g. Gov + Mob or M26 + Dir) and then letting the bots play the other side. That way you still get the diplomatic tension of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" instead of just hammering each other all game.

Plus it helps you learn the bots for when you solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wamba_the_fool wrote:
I'm a big fan of each playing one faction of a "side" (e.g. Gov + Mob or M26 + Dir) and then letting the bots play the other side. That way you still get the diplomatic tension of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" instead of just hammering each other all game.

Plus it helps you learn the bots for when you solo!

Love the idea, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning the bots also adds to the complexity. If this is your first game, I would definitely recommend that you play 2 vs 2. Then when you feel comfortable with the basic rules, you could play as wamba_the_fool suggests.
Just my personal recommendation as a new COIN player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Poirier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
boulou wrote:
Learning the bots also adds to the complexity. If this is your first game, I would definitely recommend that you play 2 vs 2. Then when you feel comfortable with the basic rules, you could play as wamba_the_fool suggests.
Just my personal recommendation as a new COIN player!

Merci Didier, pour le moment j'y joue solo mais je vais innitier un ami sous-peu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're inclined, try this method too:

https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/spielenexperiment-t...

I'd be interested to know what you think, if you do.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Grossman
United States
Grand Junction
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, Brian. Would you still have ineligible factions?

I've always enjoyed the COIN games with two factions apiece. I think I've played them all in that fashion and always had interesting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no faction would be ineligible (unless an event card made it so).
The point is, you would not have control over which of your two factions gets to do something, but you would have control over what it does... which can also hand the initiative over to the other player.

It's also important to note that with this variation you do NOT look one card ahead in the deck - things get ridiculously gamey otherwise.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.