Subject: Favorite Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like these forums need some more gameplay discussion.

So! What's your favorite character thus far in Exceed and why?

At this point I feel like my favorite is a toss-up between Alice and Juno. Alice has a unique ability that seems like it should be really tricky to pull off (maintaining very specific distances from the opponent), and it isn't always easy, but it's really rewarding when you can pull it off. Juno doesn't hit super-hard, but you can do some fun combos. With her it feels like you're trying to achieve a rhythm and hold it to keep your opponent pinned.

I've also really enjoyed Kaden, who looked terrible at first (how often do you realistically get to pull off an EX attack?!) but turned out to be really fun and made me think differently from other characters; and Miska, who feels like she's obsessively controlling the position of everything on the entire board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Baelkor. I thought he would not be for me, but he feels so bad! You spend some time setting up by sealing cards and gaining gauge. Then you reshuffle and go into Exceed. By this point the opponent is stuffed as all your attacks are monstrous. I also love his desperation headbutt ultra.

I am still working my way through the roster. Other characters to impress me are Eva and Vincent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ah, jeez. I've *really* liked this cast. Reese, I haven't gotten to work; maybe it's matchups, or rookie mistakes, but it is HARD to get in there without Ballista, Chivalry, (or Dive, in a pinch), especially when against an opponent with "push as far as possible" effects, like Mei Lien (or worse, Miska) but I really like stringing together loads of "gain advantage" effects *forever*

Ulrik is fun, cuz I always wanted to play mobility characters in fighting games, but they're the one archetype I can't muster the execution for. I'm...not convinced he's a fair character, however. Most of my wins with him have been at 15+ life remaining.

Devris allows for some serious clutch moments. Sitting there with no cards in hand, and like 10 life. Spend to exceed, opponent strikes me since I only have one card; 5 life, 0 cards. Pay 2 gauge, draw 7. Play boosts like "+3 P/S" and "+4A, +2G", block at like, 8+ armor. Craziness.

But Juno and Gabrek are my favorites. Juno is thematic, and I *love* the alt-art Normals. Plus, getting to rock, basically, 2 Boosts on every attack after you've Exceeded (and getting to tactically spend from gauge) is really nice. Gabrek is just straightforward. Melee range is my favorite one to be at in pretty much any game where it's viable (Fighters, RPGs, whatever. In shooters, I go with shotguns), so his UA stood out to me, and there's nothing quite like being an inexorable tide, closing the gap, forcing your opponent into the corner, and keeping them there.

Oddly, though, with both Gabrek and Ulrik, you might not even *want* to Exceed with them, unless you have an insane amount of Gauge, and even then it might not be worth the action (Ulrik, because his Exceed movement isn't "up to," so his positioning will become more finicky, Gabrek because while forcing Wild Swings is strong, you may want to keep the card draw, to attack sustainably, and save the Gauge/action for more movement)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brannan
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
So far my favorite is Morathi, card advantage while striking and lots of guard on hit attack. Plus making the opponent discard on a successful hit so he has to flail and backpedal is amusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so far I like Lily for being able to play a range game... and probably Eva. I just realized I really love boosting a lot, and Eva loves boosting. I haven't tried the other characters yet. But I really do like the boost mechanic. It's almost the same thing as having tokens in BattleCON but with a lot of different uses besides just enhancing attacks. I played a few games so far and you can really play some nasty mind tricks and bluffing with your opponent with the boosts alone, sometimes buying you much needed time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm liking Eva a lot atm too. I'm a big fan of the boost mechanic and she arguably plays with it the most.

Also I dig her pop & lock dance moves on her Shifting Tech ultimate attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played each character at least twice now, and I'm rather fond of quite a few of them for very different reasons. Some I like because they seem to win more, and others because I just have more fun playing them even though they don't seem to win as often.

I'll focus on the latter.

Vincent - Ever since being introduced to the character in BattleCon, I've just thought it was neat to have a President character that was a powerful beefcake. I just fell in love with the concept itself, so much so that it makes me want to know more about this universe. None of the other characters have done that. (Sure, I'm CURIOUS as to their personalities and such, but not to the same extent.)

Gabrek - I've always liked the idea of a grappler character in fighting games--the guy that just excels at smashing faces into pavement--but in almost every fighting game I've ever played, they are just not fun to play. Either they do not have the tools available to make them competitive, or their moves are so hard to pull off that it just becomes an unfun experience. With this system, I get to live out my faces-to-pavement dreams without doing impossible-to-pull-off full circle moves. (And I'm also preeeeeetty sure I know this character's inspiration, which is also a plus. whistle)

Morathi - Another character I like to gravitate towards is the 'always angry' guy. The guy that's just all out at all times, high-risk high-reward. Maybe it's my addiction to 'push-your-luck' mechanics, and my experience with Morathi has been middle of the pack as far as wins go, but the idea is just fun regardless.

Heidi - Here's a character that has proven difficult to pull off. I really like some of the combo potential in her moveset, and the idea of 'installing' is really neat, but the ratio of being able to pull either of these feats off in a meaningful way has been tricky. But I've found I've had a lot of fun trying. I want to Iron Knuckle someone into a wall (a better 'punch them in the FACE' card you will not find) move up to them with DIVE or something, Steel Driver them against the wall, and then Cross my way back a few steps to do something else or Dagger Strike my way into something decent. This is hard to pull off, but I have fun trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not won with Eva yet.

I like the potential there, but she is by far one of the least successful characters I've played.

Have you had much success? What are some good tips for her to work effectively?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
roufus wrote:

I like the potential there, but she is by far one of the least successful characters I've played.

There is a boost on her Ultra that allows her to draw cards at the end of her opponents turn. I like to use this as much as possible and try to keep it with her boost recurring abilities. Having the cards to do her cool tricks is the first step.

Second thing is that her ability to retrieve boosts means you can use both the boost and strike of the same cards. Lots of characters have to choose if they want to boost or strike with a card, but Eva can boost with it first and then retrieve it to strike later. I do not have my cards in front of me, but there are some combinations you can use here to access her entire tool box.

When I have played Eva I have won in awesome fashion, but others have played her and not understood her at all. I like is about Exceed, some characters are not my thing but then I watch other players be monsters with them. It comes down to personal play style and what gels with you as a player. Love it.

I played my second game with Satoshi and finally worked him out. I love how ninja-esque he feels, darting in and out of range while setting up a series of devastating strikes. This game is so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
roufus wrote:

There is a boost on her Ultra that allows her to draw cards at the end of her opponents turn. I like to use this as much as possible and try to keep it with her boost recurring abilities. Having the cards to do her cool tricks is the first step.

Second thing is that her ability to retrieve boosts means you can use both the boost and strike of the same cards. Lots of characters have to choose if they want to boost or strike with a card, but Eva can boost with it first and then retrieve it to strike later. I do not have my cards in front of me, but there are some combinations you can use here to access her entire tool box.

When I have played Eva I have won in awesome fashion, but others have played her and not understood her at all. I like is about Exceed, some characters are not my thing but then I watch other players be monsters with them. It comes down to personal play style and what gels with you as a player. Love it.

I played my second game with Satoshi and finally worked him out. I love how ninja-esque he feels, darting in and out of range while setting up a series of devastating strikes. This game is so cool.

With Eva, when there's some annoying or dangerous boosts on her, we just do sub-optimal strikes just to cleanse the plate and make her burn a turn (prior to the Exceed mode.)

Maybe I'm playing something fundamental wrong here: You *don't* get to do 'Before/Hit/After' effects AT ALL when stunned, correct? (I don't think so, but I figured I'd ask.) With Eva, her best boosts end up getting discarded when she's stunned out. She's simply bled dry when we've piloted her. That 'do X thing at the beginning of your opponents turn' tends to only happen once, which seems a waste.

Don't misunderstand the tone here. I'm *not* claiming she's a bad character. I'm only trying to explain our experiences.

It's funny you mention Satoshi next, because that's the very next one that hasn't really worked with us (not a complete disaster, but still hasn't won.) Of all of them, Eva, Satoshi and Baelkhor are all at zero wins, with Nehtali and Mei Lien coming in at only one (though with those two I think it's because we haven't used them as much as some of the others.)

I ran a small tourney bracket just to pit characters against each other to see how they fared and get a feel for them all over time. Alice came out ahead (though I want to do it again now that I'm more familiar.) Juno and Devris did incredibly though, much more than I would have thought.

There's no character i actively DISlike yet, but I tend to use some of the lesser-tier (or how it seems to me) characters when playing with new folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a bit more I'm not sure who my favorite is. I still like Eva but she doesn't play how I wanted her too, this was discovered when my opponent got more experience as well. Instead of going for super juice it seems like she just wants to spam 1 or 2 of the most relevant boost for a given mu. Like when playing against a speedy fighter she probably should just boost with Light(Sweep) or Defend(Spike) over and over again.

I did get to play a couple more games the other day and enjoyed both of the fighters I used.

I enjoy Lily's zoning/keep away style so had fun when playing her

Then I played with Nehtali and liked her a lot. Although, that was a blowout win and that tends to sweeten you towards a character. More plays will be needed to know if I really like her that much.

Nehtali's innate ability didn't seem that useful though. Now granted I am super new to the game so it is very possible I'm way off on it but I only used it once in the entire game. I used it on my second turn when I had a discarded card and my opponent did not so only I got gauge. After that I never bothered with it. I was still able to get lots of gauge though with getting hits in and using her boosts. I liked her boosts very much. There was some cool effects and I like the typical demon theme of power for a price.

Her ultimate Hell's Salvation is crazy strong. It seems at first glance to be an ultimate that just says "your opponent can never be at range 2 if you have 5 gauge" but with Clutch of Evil boost it makes the ult absolutely insane. It essentially gives the range 2 ult a range of 1-3 instead. It doesn't seem like there are a ton of characters that even have a chance at avoiding that if she gets the set up.

Overall I really like her dancing with the devil playstyle.

Even though I'm new to the game there is one of her abilities that seems pointless the vast majority of the time. Going Exceed mode with Nehtali just seems awful. You'd have to use three actions adding cards to gauge just to brake even and then when you spend the fourth action and beyond is when the Exceed mode starts making a difference. I can't imagine using the action so many times in a game to make it worth it. Maybe it's just one of those things that is super mu dependent but I'm having a hard time even imagining that. Does any one use this Exceed mode? any positive thoughts on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I use her Exceed mode a lot. I also use her action a lot. Being able to use your discard as gauge seemed really strong, but giving it to the opponent always seemed a bit rough.

I feel like Nehtali shines when you keep your distance and build your gauge, then close in to use your Ultra attacks. I keep losing, but this draws me back to her as I feel like I am missing something.

I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:

I keep losing

It's possible that this

Rook96 wrote:
I use her Exceed mode a lot. I also use her action a lot.

is because of this.

She has several boosts that add cards to her gauge so once you hit 3 to have the option to Exceed you're not very far from being able to play Hell's Salvation which is what a lot of her kit seems geared to threatening/landing. If you spend 3 gauge to Exceed then you are quite far away from being able to threaten with it.

Her Exceed mode would be a lot more tempting if it either cost 2 or if the Exceed side was still only one card for each player but it was just something that triggered at the start of her turn (no need to use an action any more). These might be too good? but it seems like they'd be okay because it's not like the opponent doesn't have good uses for gauge as well.

If you find the winning formula for using her action and going into Exceed mode please let me know. That would be cool to hear about.

Having said all that I still think she is a ton of fun to play and the rest of her kit is a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:
Rook96 wrote:

I keep losing

It's possible that this

Rook96 wrote:
I use her Exceed mode a lot. I also use her action a lot.

is because of this.

I came to that conclusion too when reading your post.

But I will keep trying, I know that there is something that I am missing and cannot wait to discover it. This was reinforced with my recent success with Satoshi, it finally clicked how to utilise his boosts and position for awesome damage. So who knows what tricks Nehtali has that I missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.