6 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » General

Subject: Board construction: advices ? examples ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Z
msg tools
Hi,

When playing with brand new players who are discovering the game for the first time, we can't really ask us to take part to the board construction without really knowing what their choices will imply in the game.

But, to avoid being restricted to only playing the introductory board setup (especially if you're going into several introductory games with different players) do you have some advices/basic constructing rules easy to explain in order to build a correctly balanced board ?

Also, have you seen somewhere some kind of constructed board examples balanced enough to be used as is ?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would have hoped for a set of board examples for every combination of player count and faction choices. Something that the designers had given some scrutiny too with an eye toward balance. Would have only taken an additional page or two in the manual. Then the "player board creation" approach could be left for advanced play where everyone knows the game equally well.

[Perhaps the someone in the BGG community will make such an attempt]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewabair wrote:
[Perhaps the someone in the BGG community will make such an attempt]
I wouldn't get my hopes up too far, this isn't the first thread on this topic and so far nothing has come of those suggestions and people saying they might do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish that I had done a better job with the intro board setup. In a way its often too well balanced and can lead to people's first game being unbearably long as no one gets their 4th token. Personally I think its worth the little extra explanation about the game and having new people set up the board with friendly take backs if someone sets up badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My general algorithm is to spread my units out. It maximizes my starting income and it makes it harder for my opponents to keep my objective markers far away from me. It's very hard to know which way I'm going to want to go during setup. So, having units in as many places as possible creates opportunities.

Remember you can build at your factory, so you don't have to put a lot of stuff in that system. Also, you can use your warp storm to recover from a map setup error.

I try to place my factory during the 2nd tile placement (we mostly play 3 player games). I prefer to keep it on a non-corner edge. That leaves me some flexibility without allowing my opponents to line me up for first turn destruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you place really badly, use a bit of diplomacy to get your opponents to block each other from invading you with their Warpstorms, citing that you don't want the people next to you to get easy access to objectives or wealth. Being the setup underdog can be a good thing sometimes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.