BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Game dials rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
me myself
msg tools
The game crafter uses a hollow metal post for their game dials:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/product/SmallDial
Anyone know what those posts are called and where one might get some?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They kind of look like eyelets or grommets, but I don't think those would turn very well. Scrapbooking or fabric ones are meant to hold things in place or to create a functional hole. I've never used them for this type of thing, so I don't know. Could be something else completely!

http://www.michaels.com/fasteners,-webbing-and-belting/gromm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if we are not talking of those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxKm_ocd0eA

In that case a sewing shop would be my safest bet..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen metal ones like that which are used in sewing but they typically crimp onto the backing (fabric) such that it won't rotate. Using these would most likely result in two pieces of cardboard stuck together (no rotation).

If you look for plastic alternatives, you can find ones with holes (plastic snap grommet) and without (plastic snap fasteners). Google them for images and the multitude of different types. These would work much better in my opinion.

Dungeon Petz uses a version of the plastic snap fasteners for each of its "Petz".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
You could maybe try sewing grommets but you would need to put 2 halves of very thin spacer of a hard substance like plastic or metal under the lip of one of them. After pressing the 2 halves together you would then remove the spacer so you would still have some wiggle room to move the dials.

I've never tried this so don't know if it would work but theoretically it could if the grommets were of a thick enough depth. Maybe a drop of crazy glue on the inside hole where the 2 halves meet to reinforce the connection?

Oh well just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Arre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Gosh all fish hooks!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a dozen or so dials with regular scrapbooking grommets and scrapbooking paper.

They work great as long as the paper is laminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
I've seen metal ones like that which are used in sewing but they typically crimp onto the backing (fabric) such that it won't rotate. Using these would most likely result in two pieces of cardboard stuck together (no rotation).

If you just use two pieces of cardboard, this is true - but if you use three, then the front and back pieces are held in place and the centre piece is free to rotate. Unless you crimp it really, really hard. ;-)

When I do dials and stuff for PnP, I'll generally use the same hole-punch that I'd use for the haberdashery-rivet kind (or drill it out if the hole is too far from the edge), but then use a plastic screw post (which also gets called a "Chicago Screw" or - somewhat curiously - a "Sex Bolt") that I buy in bulk from a binding supplies company to hold the pieces together. The screw post consists of two parts - one smooth-sided barrel with a flange that the card pieces rotate around, with a screw thread on the inside, and one bolt which screws into the threaded hole in the barrel and secures the card in place. They're more expensive than plastic rivets/grommets, but more flexible and less likely to wear out over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.