Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Williams
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been reading some forums and some say that you can replace a "free - left side" card anytime? Or is this only for the exchange/below the pile cards?

So confused right now since I've beaten the game quite a bit not knowing this.

Someone please clarify

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not "anytime" only when another card allows you to discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderRam wrote:
So I've been reading some forums and some say that you can replace a "free - left side" card anytime? Or is this only for the exchange/below the pile cards?

So confused right now since I've beaten the game quite a bit not knowing this.

Someone please clarify

Replacing a free card on the left is something you do only in conjunction with the 1x below the stack card. Not sure where you would have read that you could do so anytime - perhaps you could provide a link.

I'm curious why you haven't read the rules if you've played that much. They aren't particularly long or difficult. Who knows what else you might discover?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I'm curious why you haven't read the rules if you've played that much. They aren't particularly long or difficult. Who knows what else you might discover?

I don't know, I've played a few dozen times and if it's been a while (several months) between plays, it's easy to forget what the "*" Pirates do, or some of the nuances of the fighting cards, for me at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Williams
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules fully and tried to comprehend them the best I could.

I guess what I was reading was just about the 1x below the stack rules and thought it was a generalized idea that you could discard any card with a new card from the stack.

I guess if this rule were real, then you would eventually age really really fast which could be a consequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Atredis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderRam wrote:
I've read the rules fully and tried to comprehend them the best I could.

I guess what I was reading was just about the 1x below the stack rules and thought it was a generalized idea that you could discard any card with a new card from the stack.

I guess if this rule were real, then you would eventually age really really fast which could be a consequence.

Aging fast is one of my stratedgies as it allows you, if you can actually kill them all off, to not have any negatives at the end. It is very tricky to do and usually I lose in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulAtredis wrote:
Aging fast is one of my stratedgies as it allows you, if you can actually kill them all off, to not have any negatives at the end. It is very tricky to do and usually I lose in the process.

An aging card counts against your score only if you have brought it into your deck on a reshuffle.

Thus, I don't think that you reduce your score by aging fast and then destroying the aging cards so acquired.

(Destroying aging cards is good, but leaving them untaken is just as good.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
235689KA
badge
Content Generation For A New Generation
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Replacing a free card on the left is something you do only in conjunction with the 1x below the stack card.

Just to check - or an exchange card, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flahr wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Replacing a free card on the left is something you do only in conjunction with the 1x below the stack card.

Yes, although then you're not replacing it because it's a card on the left particularly, but because "exchange" replaces any card (whether on the left or the right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
flahr wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Yes, although then you're not replacing it because it's a card on the left particularly, but because "exchange" replaces any card (whether on the left or the right).

Right.

When you do perform an exchange, be sure to give the new card the same left/right status as the old one ("Place it on the same spot of the discarded card" in the rules).

If you later apply the "1x below the stack" ability to the new card, you can replace it with a new one but only if it (and the card for which it was exchanged) was on the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.