Subject: Race for the Galaxy: Jump Drive (new stand alone game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone not following the speculation thread Jump Drive is now listed on the RGG website.

It's a stand alone card game for 2-4 player and is simpler & faster than RftG. Exactly what that means is unknown at this point... Will it have keywords? Fewer phases? 6-cost devs? I'll looking forward to finding out and seeing it it's something my children might enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!!

It says that this game is perfect and should be played by people ages 130 and older haha! I'm loving this already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this is a rethemed version of The City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jtakagi wrote:
I wonder if this is a rethemed version of The City.

No. It is not a retheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Nice!!

It says that this game is perfect and should be played by people ages 130 and older haha! I'm loving this already!
I wonder if that last bit was actually a joke or a typo that was supposed to be 13+?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Pedrator wrote:
Nice!!

I wonder if that last bit was actually a joke or a typo that was supposed to be 13+?

Surely a typo but also, if shorter an easier surely a 10+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see them go back and instead of creating expansions to the old base set, create a new base set. It's a bit boring when 2/3rds of the cards when playing with arch 2 or 3 are same old, same old.

This sadly does not seem to that... not sure I need a simpler RftG, given that my favourite so far is full arch 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Pedrator wrote:
Nice!!

In America the age range has less to do with how difficult the game is for children and more to do with the cost of having it certified. I forget the exact ages but I think 12 and over there's less concern about choking hazards and thus the game doesn't require certification, or at least not as extensive a certification as a game for younger children would. Therefore many games just go with 12+ to avoid having to pay to have the product go through the appropriate certifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense Bryan. On the other hand it says that it is an introduction game into the RftG range. So you would assume they want younger players to learn it to get into RftG afterwards.

But if they label it 12+ that might defeat the purpose as surely consumers, even in the States, will use that as a reference of what might or might not be adequate for their kids? Or will consumers ignore the age indication entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Pedrator wrote:

In America the age range has less to do with how difficult the game is for children and more to do with the cost of having it certified.

Correct.

Due to new USA laws, a game that is listed for 12 and under needs to go through a Product Safety certification process that costs between $20K-50K and has to be redone every time a new edition or production run is made.

This is an example of a law that works for a Mattel or Hasbro with production runs in the million of units, but is completely inappropriate for small production runs of 5K-10K. Complying with it would add 6-12 months delay to the release of a product and add $10-$20 to the game's retail price (every $1 added to the publisher's cost is ~$5 added to its retail price, given how distribution works).

So, the result is that all hobby game manufacturers are listing their games for 13+ years. Sigh.

FYI, during testing, I played Jump Drive with kids who were 9-12 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
But if they label it 12+ that might defeat the purpose as surely consumers, even in the States, will use that as a reference of what might or might not be adequate for their kids? Or will consumers ignore the age indication entirely?

They ignore the ESRB...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Pedrator wrote:
should be played by people ages 130 and older

Typo. Fixed now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCloud
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

We were crushed that first game at Haiticon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game entry is up. Subscribe! Post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I've posted a teaser with four sample card images under News in the Jump Drive game entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

This is an example of a law that works for a Mattel or Hasbro with production runs in the million of units, but is completely inappropriate for small production runs of 5K-10K. Complying with it would add 6-12 months delay to the release of a product and add $10-$20 to the game's retail price (every $1 added to the publisher's cost is ~$5 added to its retail price, given how distribution works).

So, the result is that all hobby game manufacturers are listing their games for 13+ years. Sigh.

Hmm, i wonder if BGG could add in a new attribute for game entries...

MIDEDIT: they already do! Manufacturer's suggested age vs what the community voted. (They already do this for game play time and player count range)

Alas, it won't be on the box, but at least more and more folks are checking BGG these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
ackmondual wrote:
Alas, it won't be on the box, but at least more and more folks are checking BGG these days.

This isn't any different from movie ratings, which are a guideline that people can use to determine what's appropriate, although everyone will have different breaking points as to which PG-13 and R movies are okay for which kids and which ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
This isn't any different from movie ratings

Other than the fact that almost all games are now rated PG-13... It ain't much of a rating scheme if every game has the same rating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Tom Lehmann wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

Other than the fact that almost all games are now rated PG-13... It ain't much of a rating scheme if every game has the same rating!

Good point! HABA, Gamewright, Blue Orange Games, and others who market to both mainstream and hobby in the U.S. do label their games appropriately, but yes, hobby-only publishers would likely be foolish to spend money on such things, so we now have a 13+ floor for playing age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I first became aware of this issue several years ago when I was assisting Matt Leacock with Pandemic: The Cure. Matt had done games, such as Forbidden Island, aimed at younger audiences than 13+. He wanted Pandemic: The Cure to have a 10+ age rating. Due to the law change, Z-Man/Filosofia couldn't do this economically, so he had to settle for 13+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I became aware of this as the parent of a 2 year old. There are zero toys labelled "suitable for 2 years", for exactly the same reason. 3 years is another boundary in the legal requirements.

Cheers, Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

In some circles, guardians/parents have stopped allowing children in the age range of PG to 13 year olds watching PG-13 movies, citing that many PG-13 films have gotten too inappropriate for them. Even that rating has become skewed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

In some circles, guardians/parents have stopped allowing children in the age range of PG to 13 year olds watching PG-13 movies, citing that many PG-13 films have gotten too inappropriate for them. Even that rating has become skewed.

If you read up on the history of film ratings, you can see that the industry is constantly pushing the boundaries to expand the envelope more and more. PG pushed and we ended up w/ a PG-13 rating. Now the PG-13 movies push a bit, but not too hard because they don't want to get an R rating. The PG-13 market reaches a lot of kids and sadly the PG rating leads many to think a movie is "for kids" and not worth seeing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
I've posted a teaser with four sample card images under News in the Jump Drive game entry.

Can these be added to the Game Images section? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Can these be added to the Game Images section? Thanks!

In theory they shouldn't be as individual components aren't supposed to be added. I think most (all?) of the RftG cards on http://racepics.tk/ are in individual users galleries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.