Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned this before, but FFG seems more interested in releasing more new ship miniatures than developing a good campaign system.

With Wave 9 we get:
+ ARC-170 <- from episode III – Revenge of the Sith surprise
+ Special Forces TIE <- from episode VII - The Force Awakens
+ Protectorate Starfighter <- from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century? whistle - looks more BR than SW
+ Shadow Caster <- from some early Star Trek? whistle - looks more ST than SW

I guess eventually we will see episode I (The Phantom Menace) ship miniatures. I wonder how popular those expansion packs will be.

More likely, if there are any new ships in the new Star Wars movie Rogue One, those might be some of the next expansion packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Shadow Caster looks like a modified Defiant:

vs

The protectorate to me just looks like a backwards M3-A Interceptor, though I can see the Buck Rodgers resemblance:

vs

Maybe we'll see a new core set with Rogue One?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Now that you said this I can't stop seeing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
I mentioned this before, but FFG seems more interested in releasing more new ship miniatures than developing a good campaign system.

They just announced a campaign for Armada, so perhaps this is their way of testing the waters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowcaster looks like the bastard offspring of Defiant and Serenity. I may actually buy it, despite not usually playing as Scum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:

It's a miniatures game, not a campaign game, sooo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This wave sounds pretty fun to me with the focus on interesting firing arcs. Also, glad they are focusing so much on titles now. I feel like they pretty much fully explored the design space of making unique ships based only on core stats + maneuver types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
RayGuns wrote:

This, basically. A campaign system might be a nice side project, but the lifeblood of the game is miniature expansions. I'm always going to prioritize more options for the main game over any alternative game modes.

I for one, can't wait to try out the new Wave 9 toys. The new Scum ships aren't pretty, but I think they add a lot to the Scum faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I mean, I wouldn't object to a campaign mode, but there are good ones from fans already and I don't have time to play them, so new ships are really what I'm looking for. I would not be disappointed if there were never an official campaign outside of the ones the Huge ships come with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:
RayGuns wrote:

This, basically. A campaign system might be a nice side project, but the lifeblood of the game is miniature expansions. I'm always going to prioritize more options for the main game over any alternative game modes.

I disagree. Wave 9 has left me feeling completely underwhelmed, and I'm starting to lose interest in new ships. All the awkward auto-include title cards show that they are running out of design space, and they have to bolt complexity on top of the existing system just to differentiate the new ships. There are tons of ships in the game already, and I would be perfectly happy if they shifted focus to other things, like more options for existing ships (like Aces packs), campaigns, etc. Heck, if they put out a boxed set of Heroes of the Aturi Cluster with professionally made components, I would buy it immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they come out with a good campaign that's solo-able and lets you play the faction of your choice, I'm in. On game night I expect most of our guys will prefer to play normal games, although I could see a casual campaign luring in some guys I know that like to play LotR and occasional RPGs. I'd have to supply the ships for the most part, but it could be fun.

I've heard lots of good things about HotAC, but as an Imperial player I'm more interesting in playing an Imperial campaign than a Rebel one.

As far as the wave 9 ships go... I'll buy one TIE/sf to try out. If I played Scum I would buy probably 3 or so Protectorate Fighters. Don't like the look of the Shadowcaster and it's not like Scum don't have other good large ships to use instead so skip that. ARC I'd only buy to get the Seismic Torpedo card. Overall not an exciting wave for me as an Imperial, but that's OK because Imperial Veterans was really good. Can't expect to strike gold every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different strokes, I guess. I play all three factions, and every last ship in this wave has something I'm excited to try out. I like the titles a lot, as they open up room for alternate later titles (probably in Aces packs, like you want). A 0-cost title card isn't really adding complexity, especially in a game where ships can have four or five upgrades to track as it is; it's more like a pilot skill every pilot has access to, which could be swapped out for a different one down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:

With Wave 9 we get:
+ ARC-170 <- from episode III – Revenge of the Sith surprise
+ Special Forces TIE <- from episode VII - The Force Awakens
+ Protectorate Starfighter <- from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century? whistle - looks more BR than SW
+ Shadow Caster <- from some early Star Trek? whistle - looks more ST than SW

I guess eventually we will see episode I (The Phantom Menace) ship miniatures. I wonder how popular those expansion packs will be.

More likely, if there are any new ships in the new Star Wars movie Rogue One, those might be some of the next expansion packs.

If you notice, the ARC-170 has only named and unique pilots. All of these pilots are from the Galatic Civil War. There is a title card that says it's been retrofitted. While the ship might have been seen in Episode III, the current ship is not of that era. To think there are going to be ships that come out based for the prequel is obtuse.

The Fang Fighter is from the Star Wars Rebels tv show. So is the Shadowcaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Beorstruk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they're from Rebels. It's more legit SW than, say, the TIE Defender.

Your taste may vary, but I like the new wave. The Protectorate Starfighter looks like a blast to play and fills a very badly needed role for Scum. The ARC might have come from the prequels but it looks like a solid ship and a cool mini. As a non-completionist, having two ships that I'm probably going to get multiples of is enough to be excited for moving forward.

There's still a deep well for them to draw from. Rogue One will probably provide some material. I'm hoping for a Rogue Squadron pack at some point. There's a 30 year gap between Jedi and Force Awakens that will need exploring in books, comics, shows and games to source inspiration from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the new options, and the ways they'll mess with Palp Aces and U-Boats. New options are always nice.

I agree that the game has plenty of ships now, and different kinds of new content would be neat, but the tournament scene would quickly get stale after too long a time without major new things. Of course, aces packs could help, particularly since there are quite a few ships that could do with doing better, but new ships are always nice.

The auto-include titles are a nice way of opening up the design space I think. Yes, I guess it means that they pretty much reached the end of what was possible just by giving us different combinations of maneuver dials and stats, but it also means that radically changing the role of a fighter (in an aces pack maybe) is rather easy - by giving a ship that has an auto-include title an alternative title it could use instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kobo
Netherlands
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ulf Beorstruk wrote:

That's a painful statement, but I must agree if you go by official SW canon.

I personally think that anything FFG pulls from the X-wing/TIE Fighter video games series (like the T/D) also has a great deal of legitimacy, because FFG's design for XW:TMG was obviously partly inspired by it.

As for interesting SW ships, for me the scraping of the barrel already started after Wave 6. That's when I stopped recognizing the ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koborover wrote:
Ulf Beorstruk wrote:

I personally think that anything FFG pulls from the X-wing/TIE Fighter video games series (like the T/D) also has a great deal of legitimacy, because FFG's design for XW:TMG was obviously partly inspired by it.

As for interesting SW ships, for me the scraping of the barrel already started after Wave 6. That's when I stopped recognizing the ships.

And I stopped recognizing them when they started pulling from Rebels. The only reason I bought ships like the Ghost and Wave 9 here is for the upgrade cards... I'd much rather have stuff from the books and video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Snape
United Kingdom
Blandford Forum
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueKnight wrote:
Koborover wrote:
Ulf Beorstruk wrote:

And I stopped recognizing them when they started pulling from Rebels. The only reason I bought ships like the Ghost and Wave 9 here is for the upgrade cards... I'd much rather have stuff from the books and video games.

I guess it boils down to how much you are willing to immerse yourself in the SW universe, especially now with the new material and canon.
I certainly don't recognise some of the stuff that's been released (I've never played the X-wing/TIE Fighter video games and haven't read many of the graphic novels/comics) and part of me feels sad that there is now so much that has taken it further from the films and books of my youth.

That said, my kids love the Rebels series and I've come to enjoy sitting and watching it with them. So I bought the Ghost and Inquisitor's TIE and it's been a joy to watch my 8 yr old fly the Ghost as it's his new favourite ship. It's meant that he's more keen to play and I get to indulge in one of my hobbies whilst spending quality time with my children.
Cannot complain at that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They started scrapping for me with the Tie Defender. I never played Tie Fighter (though I did play X-wing vs Tie Fighter).

I watch Rebels, though, so I recognized all the Rebel ships. The ones from the video game are the odd ones out for me. Man, I'm sick of hearing about this darn gunboat already. I don't know much about it and I'm fine that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get both empire and rebel ships, I'm not into scum.

I would love some kind of official solo system, campaign/rules/app whatever. I'd be all over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. B.
France
Cannes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Registrau wrote:
I'll get both empire and rebel ships, I'm not into scum.

I would love some kind of official solo system, campaign/rules/app whatever. I'd be all over it.

did you check that one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, he said "official" so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.