Subject: Charging rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about Charging:

It's Player A's turn, and his Caffeinated Pikemen (with the Close order) Final Rush his opponent's Decaf Cavalry (who are also Closing). Both units meet front to front.

The Decaf Cavalry (in addition to the standard Charging bonuese) get several additional bonuses to their attack numbers when Charging.

The definition of "Charging" in the 2.1 rulebook I have reads:
Quote:
A unit is charging if it has the Close standing order, was not engaged at the start of the turn, and is attacking to its front
By that definition, the Cavalry are also considered to be charging at this point, even though it's the Pikemen's active turn.

Am I reading this correctly? Does the Decaf Cavalry get the benefit of their Charge bonus abilities?

Thanks,

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked the 2.2 rules posted on the BGFW Yahoo site. There's nothing in the rules about counter-charging specifically, so I would agree with your interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is correct, and is a key reason I like these rules so much.

In "real life", the units are not advancing X yards, stopping, waiting for the other army to move, moving another X yards, stopping, waiting for the other army to move, etc. If you've got the Charge order, and you've got an enemy in front of you, you're charging it. It doesn't matter whose turn it is.

They could have complicated the system by making you figure out some midpoint between the two units, prorated by move distance maybe, where the units actually clash; but that's an awful lot of boring math and time spent for very little gain.

I really, really, really dislike miniatures games in which you only get charge bonuses if it's your move when you make contact; it leads to all sorts of perverse situation, like sitting just outside of "charge range", unwilling to advance, waiting for the opponent to come into your "charge range"; this doesn't model anything that happened during a real battle, since movement in a battle is simultaneous. It turns one of the abstractions necessary to make a game work (turns) into a way bigger deal than it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Andrew said.

Basically we're using a turn-based system to simulate simultaneous movement. If you're on Close and aren't engaged at the start of the turn, you're presumably moving at full speed towards your nearest enemy. If someone manages to hit you on the flank, that's one thing, but if they hit you on your front there shouldn't be any difference in how combat goes based on whose turn it is.

Best,
Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow, I love this this! That is how turn-based rules should handle charging, just beautiful Chad. I must go read the v2.2 version of the rules, I played my first game just the other night using the 2.0 version of the rules.

TTFN,

Yoki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.