Hide
3 Posts

Urbion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Blue
msg tools
I've been playing around with a home-made version of the game to practice with in case the game is ever re-released.
I've downloaded the rules, and followed them as best I can. However there is one thing that is not mentioned in the rules that is unclear:
If none of the cards in your hand have symbols that match unclaimed City cards, are you allowed to discard them, without triggering either swapping or claiming balanced, in attempt to get usable cards?

Hypothetically:
Last unclaimed city card: Earth/Water with -1 and +2 on respective sides.
Cards in hand are a mix of Fire and Air.
What can you do?

The rules state (briefly):
- Discard a Dream card
You trigger one of the two following effects:
Swap
Swap two Dream cards. You need not respect the symbol rule, but you may not swap two Dreams that are on different sides of the City cards.

Establish balance

Claim all balanced City cards.
First, check the balance of each revealed City card: if the total of power icons of all the cards on the left side (Incubi and possibly Chaos) and all the cards on the right side (Sognae and possibly Chaos) is equal to zero, put this City card in front of you in your victory pile. Then, discard all Dream cards on both sides of this City card.

If a City card is not balanced, but the sum of some of the Dream cards played next to this City card is equal to zero, you may discard those Dream cards. You don’t claim this City card, which stays where it is.

Special case: if a City card has no Dream cards next to it, it is not considered balanced, so you can’t claim it.

Special case: Perfect balance
If you manage to claim all 4 revealed City cards at the same time, you get an extra City card as a bonus: Draw the first card of the City card deck and add it to your victory pile
-End Quote

However, when there is only 1 City left to claim, neither of these option may be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like in the other games in the series, if you cannot trigger something based on an action you just don't trigger (but can still do the action).
That's how I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a good one.

Firstly. Being left with one city card is not ideal as depending on the cards left, the ability to swap cards between city cards generally make it easier to establish balance. In the main I try to avoid being left with one city card unless I know I have cards in hand to balance it with a low risk of drawing a chaos card.

Second. As Wayne said, you can do an action which results in no effect. For some reason I find swapping on a single city card slightly odd but have no problem justifying establishing balance when there is no balance (as it is just a check for balance with no requirement to be balanced).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.