5 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Weapon Proficiencies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
So, a little bug is nagging me about gaining weapon proficiency experience.

I ran through the FAQ and did not see anything, rulebook isn't with me, and I'm not sure it was ever covered in the rules, so there is some ambiguity.

In various events and innovations there are lines that specifically state that the survivor's reward is gain +1 level in your weapon proficiency. Most of the time this isn't an issue, because if I'm aiming to level the proficiency, the survivor already has reached age one and usually has a few levels already.

However, I did recently encounter a scenario that made me question how the system works.

I have a party of four fresh survivors coming back from a hunt, they're all new people with only one hunt xp because I expect to have one of them gain the Twilight Sword, and I don't want any of my good survivors to lose weapon xp with the replacement.

The settlment event pulled is the triatholon of death, all four returning survivors are nominated to participate.

One of the rewards for the Strength event (First Place award, iirc) is to gain 1 level of weapon prof xp.

Similarly, when one of the survivors gains the Twilight Sword, they are directed to set their weapon prof to be the Twilight Sword.

The question is: 1) For the first case, can that survivor declare a weapon prof and gain a level in it, despite not having gone through Age 1?

And 2) Can the Twilight Survivor gain experience with the weapon despite not having gone through Age 1?

I'm in two minds about this, as previously I've played the game without allowing either scenario to happen, but re-reading the wording of the cards and the Hooded Knight event seemed to indicate that it was possible if such a scenario occurred.

Thouhts? Clarifications? It isn't a big impact on the game I have right now, but I would like to frame the rules for future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 1) No. You have to have a weapon proficiency to put XP into it.

Scenario 2) Yes, as the survivor now has the weapon proficiency and can thus gain XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit- #2 is definitely right, #1 I'm not so sure- wording is "may now pick weapon proficiency."

It's not that hard to make a case that you pick one on aging up and may change it before departing, so if your survivors had hit age 2 (for instance) but hadn't gotten any, I'd say bonus XP counts. If this isn't the case, meh, it's how we play, either way. Ah, the benefits of full co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Edit- #2 is definitely right, #1 I'm not so sure- wording is "may now pick weapon proficiency."

Oh, yeah, I guess that may mean you can pick one then. I didn't have the card in front of me.

I think, in general, if you do not already have a weapon proficiency and gain a weapon XP, it does nothing. If it says you can gain a proficiency, then you do.

Could be wrong, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Yeah, these little ambiguities are what kill me about the game.

Not the worst offender, though. My worst offender is the Full Move.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.