Hide
7 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 1st play with or without expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff J
msg tools
My kids and I will be playing descent for the first time in the next week or two. I haven't yet, but I'm considering getting one of the big box expansions to go along with it. Eventually, I'd like for us to play RTL, but I want us to learn the game first playing the traditional way. My question is this:

Should we play the core box set, and then play the expansion after, or should we play the expansion combined with the core set. In terms of replayability, do I need to combine the expansion right away? (Suggestions on which expansion is best to buy first?)

I have a secondary question with regards to RTL:
The two campaigns are completely separate from the core set and expansion campaigns, correct?

Thanks a lot and I apologize if this has already been asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The consensus around here is if you've never played Descent before, just do a few individual quests using the Epic Play rules in the Descent Rules Guide. This will get you and your kids more familiar with the core rules before tackling a campaign. And I'd start with the core box campaign, especially if you got one of the new Descent 2E Core Kits that come with "Heirs of Blood" campaign. If you received "Shadow Rune" with your core kit, I highly recommend purchasing the "Heirs of Blood" campaign book.

Yes, RTL campaigns are completely separate. "Rise of the Goblins" is a quick 2-quest campaign (with option to add 1-2 side quests). "Kindred Fire" is a full campaign. Both campaigns use only Core box tiles and Lieutenants for all story quests, and a few optional side quests. Having other expansions add more side quests to the list of randomly available side quests that pop up on the campaign map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jekface wrote:
My kids and I will be playing descent for the first time in the next week or two. I haven't yet, but I'm considering getting one of the big box expansions to go along with it. Eventually, I'd like for us to play RTL, but I want us to learn the game first playing the traditional way. My question is this:

Should we play the core box set, and then play the expansion after, or should we play the expansion combined with the core set. In terms of replayability, do I need to combine the expansion right away? (Suggestions on which expansion is best to buy first?)

I have a secondary question with regards to RTL:
The two campaigns are completely separate from the core set and expansion campaigns, correct?

Thanks a lot and I apologize if this has already been asked.

I'll take a stab at these, but take them with a small grain of salt, since I'm not really a veteran Descent player (just a few plays so far).

I'd personally suggest giving it a first play without any expansions. There's plenty of content in the base box (quite a few heroes, etc.) to keep you satisfied while you get a feeling for the mechanics of the game.

Most people suggest going with a big box expansion first, since you get more bang for your buck. Labyrinth of Ruin seems like a popular choice from what I've heard, but I don't have it yet myself.

RtL does indeed have it's own campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd personally suggest running with RtL first. Not having to learn the Overlord's rules makes thing easier in my experience. You can easily run the initial battle in the first Campaign and then start again once you've got a handle on the rules.

Also, if you're running with RtL, adding expansions doesn't really add any complexity just more variety.

Running a traditional campaign means you're thinking of the Overlord rules, guiding your kids and explaining to them the various Overlord rules and what they mean. Not worth it in my book.

Me and my 6 year old have been running the RtL campaigns and my son is absolutely loving it. It's us working together against the baddies rather than me against him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff J
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll do just the core game first and probably do a few quests to learn the game before doing the campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
The introduction quest in an included campaign (Heirs of Blood, The Shadow Rune) is a good way to get into the game from knowing nothing about it. It's how most of us learned the basics. They are minimal on additional game rules and what game elements are included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I am going to second going through the RTL campaign "Rise of All Goblins" first, before getting into the base game campaigns.

For starters, its shorter, more thematic and will let the kids (and you) work out the rules without it feeling combative. Since monsters are controlled entirely by the player, any 'ruling' while you are learning is not going to feel one sided (right or wrong) and if you look it up later and find out you did it wrong, its not going to be "but I lost and you won because of that".

Also, the main campaigns in the book are LONG, and also break up some quests into 2 encounters, which can lead to a long break while setting up (or continuing later) which can interrupt the narrative or make kids forget what was important or why things are happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.