Subject: Learning Curve rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Sanders
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
what is the learning curve for this game or how difficult will it be to pick up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhatRam32 wrote:
what is the learning curve for this game or how difficult will it be to pick up?

I'm one of the co-designers, so I apologize for some bias.

Definitely give Rodney Smith's Watch it Played video a watch.

Ultimately, the game's core rules are quite simple. You play cards in an action and use their symbols to dictate the number of moves, recruit, or build things you get to do.

The battle mechanism is also really simple, and typically comes down to having a majority of units, for a simple output of points, control, a prisoner. Tactics cards are intentionally left simple and refined so you can see their value and resolve battles quickly.

The complexity in the game comes in with the asymmetry and breadth of content. For each of four factions, you have unique skills, unique structures, and generally, different ways of winning the game. Learning how to go from point A, to B, to C, is the challenge, but it's a fun one, and will make your first several plays a fun game of discovery.

TLDR -
The core mechanisms are intentionally simple to allow mental room for learning the factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:

Watching this Video and reading through the rules one time... I feel I can play this game the minute it arrives at my door. Mastering the game is another issue. I feel there will be a lot to explore. But playing... I'm ready to go and looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
South Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rent13579 wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Watching this Video and reading through the rules one time... I feel I can play this game the minute it arrives at my door. Mastering the game is another issue. I feel there will be a lot to explore. But playing... I'm ready to go and looking forward to it.

Watch the play through from Watch It Played, very fun and Luke is the master in this game. Rodney also finds out he maybe wasn't using the factions by their strengths. It's an asymmetrical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.