Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Recent news here in Kalmazoo.
First ever I do believe? Give an indowment to a city?
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2016/07/if_onl...

Plus we had the same folks fund the Kalamazoo Promise.
http://www.mlive.com/opinion/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/11/kal...

This is an example of the good things the 1%'rs can do. IF they did more of this and less pitting cities off against each other for tax breaks the angry mobs might start putting down their torches and pitchforks.

Suck on it Jeremy do they do these things in IOWA?
BTW: Pretty much all of our state level Pols are conservatives. Kzoo is in general pretty conservative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools

That's great. List your house now, the peak is near.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Portage so none of this applies to me. Good news for the area though should help save the city and promote growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
rcbevco wrote:
I live in Portage so none of this applies to me. Good news for the area though should help save the city and promote growth.

Oh yes. It will promote growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Suck on it Jeremy do they do these things in IOWA?

No we don't, we just live within our means and don't need these one time bail outs.

rcbevco wrote:
BTW: Pretty much all of our state level Pols are conservatives. Kzoo is in general pretty conservative.

I'm sorry for you.

Looks like we're doing way better , sucks for you !
http://www.city-data.com/city-compare/?city_left=Cedar+Rapid...

p.s. , you guys appear to be killing us in suicides (Suicides from 2000 to 2006).. err I mean killing it in suicide.. err I mean killing yourselves in suicides ? either way, sound like a wonderful place to visit !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
You do realize that 27,000 of those "residents" (30%+ of the population) are college students and massively skews those statistics into the twilight zone? Yes Kalamazoo has it's problems.* My point was that instead of extracting every penny out of the city and abandoning it, a group of wealthy donors has decided to step up and help. Are people allowed to give a shit and lend a hand or is that a foreign concept to you? So providing free tuition to people in need to try and lift them out of poverty is bad? 'If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish...' This isn't a one time bail out either, so I'm guessing you didn't really read about it.

*Kalamazoo used to be a city with and emphasis of pharmaceuticals, durable medical (Stryker) and paper products, shit a town next to Kzoo is named "Parchment". The paper industry is gone and the Pharma Company (Upjohn) got bought out a massively downsized. None of these problems were of the cities making. The loss of jobs and tax revenue has gutted the city's coffers.

Is Cedar Rapids a great city to live in? Yea, it sounds like it is. When I'm sick of the snow maybe I'll retire there... For the time being I'll take Lake Michigan sunsets, beautiful forests, vineyards and Bell beer. If this is a dick measuring contest you win! BUT my dick is a nicer to live in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.