Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Where to start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, about to get into Smash-up with the kids but have no idea where to start.

Is there a compulsory base set and preferred expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BenjaRocks BenjaRocks
Spain
Sant Sadurní d'Anoia
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best way to start with Smash Up is to adquire the base game. After this the expansions will come, but you can have lots of hours playing the core before for sure, it's very complete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the interesting things about Smash up is that you can in fact, start with any expansion of your choice. You don't have to purchase the base set.

That being said, the base set is certainly a good place to start. It's got some really good factions in it that are relatively easy to play. I have all the sets, and if I were starting over, I'd still start with the base set.

While all of the additional sets have their appeal, there are some that I would avoid as a beginner because they have additional rules that can be challenging:

Smash Up: Munchkin
Smash Up: The Obligatory Cthulhu Expansion Game

I'm not a big fan of Smash Up: Pretty Pretty Smash Up But that's just me.

I would say in terms of my favorite expansions, the expansion Smash Up: It's your fault, is a blast, as is Smash Up: Awsome Level 9000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BenjaRocks BenjaRocks
Spain
Sant Sadurní d'Anoia
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid Smash Up Munchkin and Smash Up Cthulhu expansions even if I'm not a beginner. I think they remove the fun of the game complicating it excessively, in my opinion.

Awesome Level I think it's a great step further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base set is a good place to start, but it doesn't come with VP counters. It's a good way to teach the basic principles of the game. There are a few less keywords to memorise when you start there.

I would start with the base set and one of the following expansions:
- It's your fault.
- Awesome Level 9000.
- Science Fiction Double Feature.
- Pretty Pretty Smash Up.
Then the other 3 of these.

The big geeky box is a must buy if you're buying a lot of expansions. It's a perfect way to store all the material and it comes with a nice faction.

The following are a bit more complex rules-wise:
Cease and Desist
Monster Smash

And these two add even more complex rules:
The Obligatory Cthulhu Set
Munchkin Smash Up

However, if your group is composed of experienced and smart gamers, you could also jump straight in and start with whatever appeals to you flavour wise. (for example, you can start with munchkin smash, or start with 2 or 3 small box expansions, without having the base game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
I agree with Quit2 above; Definitly start with the base games & get expansions, but I'd slightly rearrange them:

After you get the core set, definitely pick these 3 up first in any order:
- It's Your Fault.
- Awesome Level 9000.
- Pretty Pretty Smash Up.

If you find you're really enjoying Smash Up, then go for the big geeky box. It's a must buy if you're buying a lot of expansions, comes with dividers for the older expansions, and it comes with 1 more-complex faction.

Continuing on, if you still like the game, pick these up in this order:
- Science Fiction Double Feature.
- Cease and Desist
- Monster Smash

And these two are optional depending on how much you care for their source material:
The Obligatory Cthulhu Set
Munchkin Smash Up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think you all are really overestimating how easy Pretty Pretty is to pick up if you're a new player. The kitties especially are pretty advanced and they add more complexity and new rules than say the +1 counters from Monster Smash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Father Time wrote:
I think you all are really overestimating how easy Pretty Pretty is to pick up if you're a new player. The kitties especially are pretty advanced and they add more complexity and new rules than say the +1 counters from Monster Smash.

"Taking control" of the kitties is indeed more complex and harder for a beginning player. But it only concerns one faction of the expansion.
The +1 power counters of Monster Smash involve 3 factions who use them extensively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
quit and nuts wrote:
Father Time wrote:

"Taking control" of the kitties is indeed more complex and harder for a beginning player. But it only concerns one faction of the expansion.
The +1 power counters of Monster Smash involve 3 factions who use them extensively.

Well yeah but it's pretty self explanatory. It's a counter that you put on a minion that gives it +1 power.

Smash Up has been dealing with cards that give permanent power boosts since the base game, it's really not much of a step from that.

Hell everyone is recommending It's Your Fault and the Greeks use +1 power counters quite a bit, the Sharks use them too (so does one of the tornado bases)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
Father Time wrote:

I'll agree that the Kitties are one of the more difficult decks to use in Smash Up, but I suggest PPSU before Monster Smash because of the quality of the factions/bases. All the bases in PPSU are interesting & the other 3 factions are simple to pick up.

And while Werewolves are one of my favorite factions in the game, I can't recommend Monster Smash first since Vampires, Crypt & Golem Schloss come in the same box =/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Los Angeles
flag msg tools
mb
In summary, Munchkin is the most complex and the most chaotic. The base game and It's Your Fault are great places to start. The Obligatory Cthulhu Set is not complicated as everyone says; only avoid it if you don't care for the theme.

Smash Up Munchkin is surely the most complex. Not only does it increase the amount of math and add new classes of minions and actions, it also includes some more difficult strategies and rules. (For example, Elves and Trade, respectively.)

Unlike other people on BGG, I do not see added complexity in Obligatory Cthulhu Set other than the addition of one card with a very simple mechanic. Many people say that the 30 identical Madness cards complicate the game. I wonder if they've actually played with them? They only bring one new rule: for every two Madness cards you have at the end of the game, you lose 1 VP. It's a lot easier to deal with than some of the other rules involving Control, Specials, or determining sequence of events. I got Obligatory Cthulhu last because the theme didn't interest me as much as the others.

I agree with previous posts that It's Your Fault is one of the best after the base game. All of the other expansions are great, each with a faction that can provide some challenges due to pairing, strategies, or rules. I recommend base game first, if only for the larger box and because it has the best pricing per faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
Cthulhu is not a bad set per say, just adds something called madness, which is not that much fun (I tend to ban all Cthulhu sets as while i have no issue with madness, my freinds do). I am getting all smash up sets (Except for the god forsaken Munchkin set, If i do get it I am not mixing it with my BGB) (so while Cthulhu does not see play it is in my BGB)

Anyway if you don;t get the base game you should buy two expansions. Te first one should be Awesome level 9000. It is by far the best expansion in the game. The second is probably Science Fiction Double Feature or Pretty Pretty Smash up. (If you have boys, Science fiction is probably better due to PPSU having ponies and princesses.

I still suggest Core game overall but without the expansions can be played without the base game. Just lack variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.