Subject: Gateway? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Sexton
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got our copy today. For those of you who have played it, how do you think it would work for new gamers that haven't played much before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've tried this sort of thing quite a few times. What I usually do is explain the concepts really basically, then start off playing.

Since the first round blocks off some actions - it eases players in.

In all the times I've tried it with completely new players, by round 1 they were on sureish footing, and by the end of round 2 they all knew what they were doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremysexton wrote:
Just got our copy today. For those of you who have played it, how do you think it would work for new gamers that haven't played much before?
There are a lot of fiddly rules, so be sure to consult the summary cards that hopefully you got with the Kickstarter stuff. Also, for ease of not having to remember terminology, "Knowledge," "Creativity," "Influence," "Money" and "Long-Term Happiness" can become "books," "bulbs," "hands," "coins" and "stars." :)

Things to remember to point out:
* Upkeep can be done in any order, but you have to complete each card before you go on to the next one. Usually, "partner, then job, then items" is the best, unless you have a partner that requires money.
* Side note: When you do your own upkeep, instead of taking shortcuts ("all the stuff I get from my partner except 1 Creativity goes to my job, and 9 of the 11 money I get from my job goes to items, so I'll just take 3 LTH, 1 Creativity and $2... cripes, is that really worth 3 of my time markers?!") explain out the process, at least for the first round or two.
* Items, Activities and Single-Round Projects, you choose the level when you get it. Basic projects and Relationships always start at L1.
* Items can only be upgraded. Activities can be repeated or upgraded. Items and Activities cannot be repeated at the same level; they can only be upgraded. (Got this one wrong!)
* The first two Stress you take are basically meaningless (they won't change anything about when you die or how many hourglasses you get in any given round of the game).
* Remember that you can use STH to wipe and re-deal a row! (I forgot until about 2/3 of the way through the game to explain that part when I taught my wife last night.)

It might not be a good "first gamer's game" but probably a good second gamer's game. It's more complex than Ticket to Ride, about on the same level as Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep, and far below any of, say, Uwe Rosenberg's worker placement games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
* Items can only be upgraded. Activities can be repeated or upgraded.

No, activities can only be 'upgraded'

"Similarly, a player can use a Card Action to perform a higher level of an Activity he has in front of him" (rulebook page 12)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianAbela wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:
* Items can only be upgraded. Activities can be repeated or upgraded.

No, activities can only be 'upgraded'

"Similarly, a player can use a Card Action to perform a higher level of an Activity he has in front of him" (rulebook page 12)
Yup, I saw that in the other thread but hadn't gotten a chance to come here and fix it yet. Chalk it up to "there's always one rule that gets played wrong the first couple of times." Thank you for covering all the bases!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sexton
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! Both answers have been very helpful. Especially so, this:
ryudoowaru wrote:
It might not be a good "first gamer's game" but probably a good second gamer's game. It's more complex than Ticket to Ride, about on the same level as Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep, and far below any of, say, Uwe Rosenberg's worker placement games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.