Salvation Road» Forums » General

Subject: too similar to Dead of Winter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging by a few reviews and comments I read, this game seems similar to Dead of Winter, but with a few modifications and solo play. I already have Dead of Winter. I don't really want to get a lot of "samey" games due to money and time constraints. For those who have played both, how different are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree they are similar in some ways - you're trying to manage resources in order to win, BUT:

SR has no traitor mechanic, nor hidden objectives. In addition, the base game of SR has a lot of random setup.
you won't be visiting the same locations every time you play; DoW locations are fixed, but SR locations vary, not only with the shuffle during setup, but also the number of locations (3 for a 2-player game) will change depending upon the number of players. The number of Road Cards (where you pay a toll on the trip to Salvation City) changes with the number of players.

With SR you can choose the characters you play with, but the base game has you shuffling the characters and drawing a random Hero and random Survivor.
Those characters are the ones you have throughout the game, lose both and the game is lost for everyone.

I suppose you could think of the Apocalypse cards as kind of similar to the Crossroads cards, but they always trigger (they represent the finite number of game rounds), and bad stuff happens which can be mitigated (sometimes!)

Have you watched a playthrough video as well as reading reviews?

Hope this helps. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than some similar theme elements and locations that you search, the games are pretty different. I think SR is excellent, but I didn't enjoy DoW, as I thought the traitor mechanic was poorly implemented, and the crossroad cards were just highly specialized event cards.

Salvation Road scratches a different itch for me. It's about 60 minutes and a pure co-op. Basically fills the Pandemic slot rather than a theme heavy, longer game like DoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

I am also interested for the solo play. But hearing that it can take the role of Pandemic is nice, because our group is doing Legacy now, and when I play vanilla Pandemic now, I am kinda bored and wish I had something else that could kinda fit that spot.

I know some people remove the traitor from Dead of Winter, and when we played it ended up none of us were the traitor. I loved the game, and can't wait to play it more, but I think it needs the possibility of a traitor as it's a source of tension that lends itself to the theme of that specific game, I thought.

I tried to watch a little bit of videos of Salvation Road, but I saw prototypes and/or lackluster presentation, which I don't really enjoy. I like Rahdo and Watch It Played, and especially the introductory explanations on TableTop the best. I guess I have a short attention span, and don't enjoy amateur camera work (well, Rahdo is the exception on that last point, haha - at least his stuff is usually in focus, and he's sold me on a bunch of games, including Hostage Negotiator).

I'll wishlist it for now, and when I have a bit of downtime, try to sit through some more videos of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played DoW solo. I have played SR solo once, but to be honest I am not much of a solo boardgamer; I would rather play a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure how DoW solo would even work, with the hidden objectives and traitor potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.