Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just started playing this solo and wondered what others do when setting up the 2 sides at the start of play.I have found it difficult to set up one side whilst having knowledge of how the other side is setup.
I was thinking it might be good to have separate presets of setups for Axis and Allies so that when setting up the solo game you setup one side yourself then setup the other side according to the preset.
Then next game swap sides. I suppose a bit like Memoir 44 style.
Is there a way of finding out some popular starting setups for each side and scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
I have just started playing this solo and wondered what others do when setting up the 2 sides at the start of play.I have found it difficult to set up one side whilst having knowledge of how the other side is setup.
I was thinking it might be good to have separate presets of setups for Axis and Allies so that when setting up the solo game you setup one side yourself then setup the other side according to the preset.
Then next game swap sides. I suppose a bit like Memoir 44 style.
Is there a way of finding out some popular starting setups for each side and scenario?

You could look at session reports to see if they posted a start of game. Typically the restrictions on where each side to setup makes it pretty easy (for me) to do both sides. You're just setting up where you think best on each side. I typically try to start (any game) in cover if I can. If I'm already defending an objective, where would I be, etc... Leaders make it easy for me too as I want to setup within range of a leader initially too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another (more cumbersome) idea: think of (and note) several reasonable but interestingly different setups for each side, then choose 1 randomly for each side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those suggestions. Yes, Kevin I have gone through some session reports and got a few ideas so will try them out. The only problem I have with doing the best for each side is that one side will "go" first so the other side will always know where to best place their units.
That's a good idea Russ. Think up 6 different setups then 1D6 them so I never know what the "other" side is doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
Only in scenario #1 is setup simultaneous.

In every other scenario and RSG it is one side then the other.

Thanks Paul, you have actually pointed something out I didn't realise. I assumed both sides setup simultaneously every scenario. I didn't read the "setup" box properly whistle. That actually makes everything much simpler for me, knowing that even with 2 players, the 2nd player would always know what the 1st player had done for his setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noted that Paul often cuts to the heart of the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the nature of CC that it forces you to create platoons. A leader with 3 or 4 units and an even distribution of weapons. This means that if you have 3 leaders that you have 3 platoons and in effect are only placing 3 "units". You could of course have an HMG/mortar on their own but in essence you have 3 units which is much easier to place than 12 units. You will probably find this still isn't enough to cover all your avenues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got a pretty good idea here. Give it a try and see how it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.